The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
68 Stepper

damage column

Finally received my new/use tilt column purchased on ebay, to discover packaging and column have been damaged. The column has been crushed beneath the indicator. Not sure if this is going to cause any mechanical problems? It will not be seen after the steering wheel is installed.

Can this be repaired?

Tried to get better pictures but ended up just making myself more angry....
Attached Images

68 Stepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:10 PM   #2
68 Stepper

Re: damage column

Also the nut on the steering wheel stud has been cross threaded.... SO LAME
Old 10-24-2014, 12:01 AM   #3
68shortwide

Wow that sucks. That's two Damaged in Shipping threads in one nights. People need to get their crap together. Hope you can still use it or get your money back.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:49 AM   #4
JointTech

if the nut is cross threaded you need a new upper shaft which I havent seen aftermarket but theres 6billion in the junk yards. Or I guess you could recut the threads and get a different nut. theres nothing special about the nut.

as far as whats crushed I cant tell what you are talking about from the picture.
I've never seen the yellow plastic part aftermarket but inlinetube.com might have one. The part under it is just the turn signal switch which is available at any parts store.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:51 AM   #5
jjzepplin

Sux. I would go for a refund. That looks positively aggravating- now and in the future. Start fresh with a good unit.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
70shortfleet

Ist, take the nut off with a wrench and run the correct die over the threads, it should clean up. after removing the nut take the horn contact off, it is upside down. The bent up housing can be straightend. It is thin metal and you should be able to tap it back into shape. It is on the bottom so once you mount the column and put the steering wheel on, you want even see that part that has been straightend
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
68 Stepper

I should be cooled down enough tonight after work to take another look at it. I think you are correct, it could be repaired. Not as worried about the threads as I am the housing, as long as it works, it won’t have to be pretty, I won’t see it after I get the wheel back on.
Thanks for the replies,
Old 10-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #8
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70shortfleet View Post
Ist, take the nut off with a wrench and run the correct die over the threads, it should clean up. after removing the nut take the horn contact off, it is upside down. The bent up housing can be straightend. It is thin metal and you should be able to tap it back into shape. It is on the bottom so once you mount the column and put the steering wheel on, you want even see that part that has been straightend
Having been in a similar situation recently and consulting the oldest mechanic I know (ie: Vietnam tank repair guy turned classic car mechanic) he turned me onto a "thread file". You figure out the thread pitch and then repair the threads with the file. Mine was on a really flimsy AC condenser connection and I saved it... I was quite proud and ran out to buy my own file right away!

If you just run a die on it, it's kind of hit and miss whether you'll get onto the same thread path. That's why working with what remains of the existing threads helps. Get it close enough and then you can hand-start a die on the right thread.

The ideal solution would be to get one of those dies that comes in two parts. You then assembled around the good part of the threads and back it off. I don't have a set of dies like that but apparently they exist.

On the crushed part of the column, I don't know. You might get lucky in a vice, or at least enough to keep it completely functional. But I remember column heads looking like they were cast out of that white pot metal, which doesn't bend so well.

If you can remove that whole piece and heat it up in the oven to soften it up and then find some kind of metal cone to help reshape it, it'd probably work. Maybe over a paint can if you can find one with the right diameter? Not sure what to use.

All that said, if its an option, I'd look for my money back. The column I just bought came in a custom-made little wooden coffin. If it was just in a cardboard box with packing material I highly doubt the carrier (UPS or whatever) will honor a damage claim on it. And it would have to have been insured anyway, and you have to send them the item and the packaging to prove it was properly packed, etc.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:18 PM   #9
davepl

I have no idea if this helps, but in case its fits, it would replace your crushed section. This non-tilt though; I have to imagine they're different.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231369849833...S:3160&vxp=mtr
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:06 PM   #10
john
member #16

That top housing on a tilt is just mild steel, you shouldn't have any trouble straightening it.
john is offline   Reply With Quote