The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
wander1969

Help with motor and trans

I'm looking to buy a sbc 400 and turbo 400 trans. I have a 69 c10 with 250 straight 6 and three on the tree. What am I gonna need to get that to work in there and any cheap rebuild ideas for motor? Different heads and such? Any input would be great. Thanks!
wander1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
BlackedOut67shorty

Re: Help with motor and trans

You need an electric kickdown switch for the turbo 400 trans, i think it installs somewhere around the gas pedal. Possible conversion u joints to mate the yoke for the 400 and shortening or needing a longer driveshaft. Cant honestly say cause there is so many variables when it comes to driveshaft lengths.With the 400 sbc what are you looking to get out of it, stock rebuild, mild performance or all out race? Eather way i dont see a rebuild coming out of it that possibly wouldnt be cheaper than getting a 350 crate engine.
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Help with motor and trans

Engine towers are different though you can use the ones from the six. The tranny cross member isn't in your current powertrain so you will need to source one of those and remove the riveted frame mounted one you have at the bell housing. The steering column will need to be changed unless you use a floor shifter. The rear gearing for most sixes was a 3:73 while the autos used a 3:08, it will work but rpms will be up from other autos. I'm not sure about driveshaft length or slip yoke. New exhaust system. I would stay with the six but if you are sure you want to go V8 start gathering parts and reading swap threads on here. When you have every piece you need and a chunk of extra cash, do the swap.
so far
Engine towers for a SBC
Steering column for an auto or floor shift for same
Cross member for an auto
Grinder, chisel, torch, or other implement to remove bell housing cross member.
Standard set of hand tools
engine hoist
exhaust system
There may be something else I've missed but someone will probably chime in with it.

Before you do any of this, you should make sure the brakes, steering, and the safety/mechanicals are in good shape and up to handling the extra load. I would rather have front disc, power brakes and maybe PS before I started upping the engine capabilities. It don't matter how fast you can go if you can't stop.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 10-26-2014 at 08:50 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote