The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
DanJC

cut coils and panhard bar???

I have a couple of questions of questions-
When cutting coils how do you secure the bottom of the springs once the tapered coils have been cut off?
I've read that lowered rear need an adjustable panhard bar. Does it need to adjust longer or shorter than stock? Roughly how much adjustment is is an adjustable one?
I know that cut coils aren't the preferred method, this is a low-buck (no buck) project and I want to be able to mock it up and have a roller until lowered springs are in the budget.
I can build or modify my own panhard bar, would much rather do that buy one, that is the reason for the question on the adjustable bar. Thanks-
DanJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #2
NEWFISHER

Re: cut coils and panhard bar???

Fronts can be cut, rears need replaced due to the taper. Jeep TJ coils ( super cheap in the scrap pile behind the local 4x shop) will drop it, but it will ride like a car and you can not use it for a truck. $88 Coils on special from CPP. pan hard bar gets longer the more you drop. 1-3" depending on the drop and placement of the bar, length etc. Best is to drop it and measure the upper frame and lower axle distance and build your bar or buy one that's adjustable ( for different drops, makes it easy to sell one than build 1,000)
Old 10-28-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Re: cut coils and panhard bar???

You should not be cutting the rear coils for the exact problem you described. When people say cutting coils, they are talking about the fronts.

As for the panhard bar, you won't know how much you need to adjust until you have the rear end lowered. This can be different for ever truck. Once dropped, you can measure the wheel space between the frame on the left and right side. You want this number to be the same. Adjust accordingly.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote