The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
Wildcard

Master Cylinder Interchange??

Hello was wondering the interchangeability of master cylinders?

I have a drum/drum 2wd truck and got a powerbrake booster and all the brackets off a disc/drum truck and was wondering if I could put my Non powerbrake front drum mastercylinder and proportioning valve on the 71 booster?

I have the disc/drum proportioning valve that came with the booster and brackets it just doesn`t have a mastercylinder can the prop valve be installed on my drum/drum truck and are the brake lines or line fittings the same or different ?

Thanks, Wildcard
Wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:58 PM   #2
Livrat
Member #1049

Re: Master Cylinder Interchange??

If the 71 Drum/Disc booster is off of a 1/2 ton, yes you can use your drum brake master cylinder and combination valve on it. the drum/disc proportioning valve will not work with your drum brake system and yes the lines are different between the two.
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
Wildcard

Thanks for the reply.

I cant remember if that truck I took the booster assembly off of was a 1/2 or 3/4 ton, crap. I took the booster assem, front swaybar, but it didn`t seem any bigger than the one that was stock on my ole 68 1/2ton yrs ago, I got the complete foot ebrake assem and cables off of and other parts in a Pull and Save on Spokane WA just north of US. it didn`t have any spindles on it and I don`t believe the Rearend was there either. Huh

thanks for the reminder tho, I remember now the cab I just went an purchased and finished stripping this last weekend has a drum/drum master I`ll see if it fits the booster.

Does the 1/2 and 3/4 ton master cylinders have a different bolt spread or pattern?

Thanks, Wildcard
Old 11-01-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
71 super

The diff in the m/c is the depth of the hole. Non power apps are shallow and power apps are deep. The hole is where the brake rod goes into the back of the cylinder. The pattern is the same on the cylinders.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #5
HEAVCHEV3

I do apologize for jumping this thread. I am in the same situation, but now since I've figured out the rotor situation I'm in the process of installing my existing dual mc on a booster I have from a 72. My question is when installing the mc to the booster should I remove the rubber boot/plunger from the factory mc where the rod was attached and just bolt it up to the booster like that or leave rubber boot on?It looks like I have to take it off to fit correctly. Just not real sure. Thanks!
HEAVCHEV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:31 PM   #6
Wildcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAVCHEV3 View Post
I do apologize for jumping this thread. I am in the same situation, but now since I've figured out the rotor situation I'm in the process of installing my existing dual mc on a booster I have from a 72. My question is when installing the mc to the booster should I remove the rubber boot/plunger from the factory mc where the rod was attached and just bolt it up to the booster like that or leave rubber boot on?It looks like I have to take it off to fit correctly. Just not real sure. Thanks!

Heavychevy3 I can`t answer your question , I don`t see it as you jumpin this thread, as long as someone hopefully chimes in and helps you or anyone else out reading this thread on your question or problem or mine It doesn`t bother me that's what these threads are all about to me, Maybe I`ll learn something also The thread is about mastercylinder interchange information afterall.

Good Luck, Wildcard