The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
greywurm

90s serpentine p/s pump question

Swapped in a 72 350 SBC into my 71. Grabbed a complete serpentine setup from a junk yard off a 93 Silverado.

I'd like to use the 93 pump and possibly the hoses as my old l6 setup leaked (one hose was spliced together with hose clamps on vacuum lines).

However, the 93 hoses do not fit my steering box. If I grab the flow valve from my old pump and install it on the 93 to use the original lines, the but on the line is too close to the engine block to actually turn.

What do I do? Can I get adapters for the new lines to steering box? If so, what are the threads? Would home depot carry them?

I have an idea to take the flow valve back out and install it into the line and then thread it into the pump but wanted some advice before I get stuck on another route.

I am getting down to just a couple things left before taking the truck to an exhaust shop to get my pipes made.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
Tkmadone

Re: 90s serpentine p/s pump question

I just did the same thing but I found that if I bent the metal end of the pressure hose around a little bit I could get it to thread in without hitting the block. Just a little gentle bending was all it took.

There are adapters out there but they all seem to be for the o-ring style of hose.
Tkmadone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
hugger6933

Lee makes the box adapters you seek but the easiest way to go is the removal of the big nut at the back of the pump[that houses the pressure relief] and replace it with the one from your older box[ the threads are the same for some reason].. Not to tell your stuff but I hope you remembered to get the water pump[or a new one] too, and also a fan blade cause they both turn backwards from the "normal" rotation of the time that our trucks were made. Although they will fit and function to some degree, the older fan and water pump on the new stuff [turning backwards] will over heat in certain slower speed situations like driving in traffic or slower speeds. That is a lesson I learned the hard way in 1990 and have not forgotten. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
greywurm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Lee makes the box adapters you seek but the easiest way to go is the removal of the big nut at the back of the pump[that houses the pressure relief] and replace it with the one from your older box[ the threads are the same for some reason].. Not to tell your stuff but I hope you remembered to get the water pump[or a new one] too, and also a fan blade cause they both turn backwards from the "normal" rotation of the time that our trucks were made. Although they will fit and function to some degree, the older fan and water pump on the new stuff [turning backwards] will over heat in certain slower speed situations like driving in traffic or slower speeds. That is a lesson I learned the hard way in 1990 and have not forgotten. Jim
So that nut at the back of the pump is for what? Extend the hose rearward? Ha. I threaded the old pump flow valve in there but I think I might have left the but from newer pump in there.

How do I contact Lee? I may go that route.

Someone pointed that out about the pump earlier. I think mechanicalman. I grabbed the whole thing and ended up getting a new pump because I didn't like the looks of the one from the junk yard. While I was there I grabbed a Taurus fan so I'm skipping the mechanical fan... I also kept the motor in the rear l6 position so I would have shroud issues.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #5
greywurm

Is it possible to cut off the oring ends of the newer pump lines and flare the ends with the old pump lines' fittings for my steering box?
Old 11-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #6
Sammy

Take your old line along with fittings to a tractor farm supply and have one custom made. Not expensive even some good auto parts places do them also. Look at the one I had custom made in the pic on the right. I had a adjustable joint in the center to get a angle I wanted. I think I paid only $18..
Attached Images

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
Lee H

Simply put the fitting from the old pump into the new pump and use the original hoses, very slight tweak needed on the pressure line to clear the block.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #8
Blown06

I did a similar thing when I converted mine 20 years ago. Only difference was I had compression fitting installed on the end of the 90 model hoses. Cut my stock tubes just after the hose joint and coupled them together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Take your old line along with fittings to a tractor farm supply and have one custom made. Not expensive even some good auto parts places do them also. Look at the one I had custom made in the pic on the right. I had a adjustable joint in the center to get a angle I wanted. I think I paid only $18..

My project: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=646563
Blown06 is offline   Reply With Quote