The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
Famous Tater

Power Steering Pressure Hose HELP!

Guys & Gals...
Can anyone help out? Have a '91 S10 frame and a '98 350 out of a GMC 1500. Pressure Hose on the power steering pump was leaking pretty bad and needs replacing. Question is-Does anyone know which hose I should be using...one from a 91 S10 or one from a 98 1500 GMC or one from something totally different? I took the old one off and even took it with me for reference. Since the motor and frame were already in the truck when I got it, I am not sure of which one may be correct? After spending 30 minutes at the NAPA counter looking up anything remotely close, I could still not match up a pressure hose to the one like I currently have??

Thanks for any help? What are others using for a hose on an S10 frame with a 350 from something else?
Famous Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
cameo

Re: Power Steering Pressure Hose HELP!

If the hose configuration will fit in the truck, but the fitting at the pump is wrong, just change the adapter on the back of the pump. I fought with that for a long time until I was told the pump adapters were interchangeable, But mine was a 90 something pump with a 69 truck.

Not sure if that helps you
cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
Famous Tater

Thanks Cameo.
Yeah, the problem is that the hoses I am finding are either not the correct length or they are not made up the same as what I have on both ends. Found one for an S10 that was the same on the pump end but totally different on the steering box end and would not have "bent to fit" so to speak.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
Iceburgh

If you have the old hose take it to a place that does hydraulics and they can make it for you.
If not one in the area look for a place that fixes forklifts they could make it

https://www.google.com/search?num=10....0.IAErujzlL_I
Old 11-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
Famous Tater

Thanks Iceburgh! Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that I will likely have to do that. There are a few bends in the hose that I have that actually look like someone purposely did them so I don't think I will ever match it up exactly without having it made.

Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
bretcopsey

My local OReily's advertises that they do custom hydraulic hoses. Might be worth looking into.

My 68 Camaro project
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2277404/1
bretcopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #7
mr48chev

Both the two wheel drive 91 S-10 and 2 wheel drive 98 GMC 1500 with 350 use this power steering hose. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2846&ppt=C0031

It should have an O ring fitting on each end. It's 28 inches long and should work if the pump on the 350 is the correct one and the engine is reasonably close to what the original engine position would be.

The trouble is that quite previous owners of vehicles swap parts around and use similar parts that take different fittings. The outlet on some pumps is in a different spot or clock than on some others. Are you positive that the engine is out of a 98 as an 88 still uses O ring hoses but the shape of the hose at the pump end is a lot different.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...RWD&vi=1143481

If you can get a photo of the old hose what does it look like and what do the ends look like and maybe someone can figure out what you have going on and a solution.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Both the two wheel drive 91 S-10 and 2 wheel drive 98 GMC 1500 with 350 use this power steering hose.
aren't we glad we're not building ford trucks

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:03 AM   #9
Old Crow

Oh, but I am building a Ford truck(too).

My shop truck is a '61 F-100. I've already done the 302/C6 drivetrain. I dropped the differential out of my donor truck into the stock housing by just swapping the side gears in the case to get the right spline count for the axle, and even the speedometer reads right.

Power steering conversion will be using a Toyota pickup steering box. Hoses will be the only real hang up because of the Ford p/s pump, but I'll just have those made.

Disc brakes will be a CPP kit, I think. Whichever kit I can get cheapest

Re-did the bed using 3/4" treated plywood ripped to the proper widths and secured with the strips and bolts, just like stock. Didn't want to spend a bunch on nice oak and then dump a greasy old motor in the back.

Only hang up was exhaust. I wanted headers, but couldn't find any for my application. I can find headers to drop a SBC in that truck, but they don't make headers for those of us that believe a Ford should have a Ford motor. Looks like I'll end up using block huggers, even though I really want the long tube style(I'm old fashioned, sue me).

On the overall the only thing that was more difficult on the Ford was selection of the accessory brackets for the motor. Chevy only has a couple of different setups for a small block(pretty much long water pump or short). Ford must have 30 different configurations.

Sorry for getting carried away with the post. I like old trucks, I don't especially care one way or the other which brand they are.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:45 PM   #10
MIKEs50Chevy

I had to replace a power steering hose a couple of months ago and a local auto parts store (not a chain) makes them for you custom. He said they sell them for hydraulic lines on heavy equipment so they are rated for way more pressure than I needed and it worked perfectly.
MIKEs50Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #11
Famous Tater

Thanks to everyone for their help. Since no one in town claimed to be able to do "automotive" hoses, I found the location of the leak and had someone repair that spot. So far so good!
Old 11-11-2014, 12:20 AM   #12
mr48chev

I don't know what they did to "repair" it but I had a student's car (1974 Mercury Cougar ) burn to the Ground behind the auto shop I taught in because of a bandaid repair on the powersteering pressure hose.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote