The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2014, 11:03 PM   #1
Hideintire

Fiberglass hood...

Anyone use or have knowledge of VFN fiberglass 1967-68 C10 flat bolt - on hood??? We're looking to use one on my build so we can shave the center ridge and add Ram Air in leading edge of hood...tons easier in 'glass than steel. Can't justify the expense of carbon fiber. VFN makes decent stuff, but would like specific info about the C10 hoods. Good fits? Exterior quality? Is inside finished well? Etc?
Thanks for input!
Jimmy

Check out build pages...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=609995&page=2

C106
1967 C10 shortbed
C6 complete front and rear suspension. LS2. T56 transaxle. 3.90. 19x10 and 19x12 Gumby rims. 295/345 tires. Brembo brakes. Z06 springs, shocks and sways. IN THE WORKS...
Hideintire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
Hideintire

Re: Fiberglass hood...

Anybody....would sure like to hear if someone has knowledge of these hoods!
Thanks

C106
1967 C10 shortbed
C6 complete front and rear suspension. LS2. T56 transaxle. 3.90. 19x10 and 19x12 Gumby rims. 295/345 tires. Brembo brakes. Z06 springs, shocks and sways. IN THE WORKS...
Old 11-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
Fatherflash

Jimmy,

What is the plan for your truck (regular driver?. racing?) I ask because in most cases where high heat is present, fiberglass may not be the best option. Heat weakens fiberglass which can be a huge problem affecting the lifetime of the part. To alleviate this, you can push a lot of air through your engine area which will offset the heat problem but also add a new problem of ensuring the hood mount points are strong enough to withstand the extra pressure that will be exerted.

I looked over the VFN Fiberglass website for technical information on how they make there products however, couldn't find anything. Since they advertise for mostly racing, I assume the panels are basic fiberglass with "kitty hair" impregnated to provide some strength however, this does not mean structural rigidity. It does appear these panels do not have any plies built into them such as 120 or 7781 fiberglass which would give them some structural rigidity.

If you plan to shave a panel to add a hood, you should rework the area around the hood to add both structural rigidity, load transfer to that area of the hood and also fully incorporate the scoop into the hood. If you choose not to go this path that is fine however, you will likely see cracking around the scoop area that was spliced into the hood which will be magnified by the heat caused by the engine. Splicing a scoop into a hood using fiberglass with "kitty hair" provides no structural strength to the hood and this is something that should be considered because you are putting a hole into the hood. If you want me to explain further, let me know. I can make some diagrams to try and explain further if you like. I work with fiberglass, graphite plies, fillers, polyester resins and adhesives every day and have quite a bit of experience with it and am willing to share what I know. hope to not sound like a know it all on this. Just don't want to see you waste your money and time.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
Hideintire

Thank you Fatherflash for the detailed info and your time. That is the great benefit of these boards...folks who are willing to share!
We have used VFN 'glass parts very successfully in past projects. I was hoping to get some feedback on the fit and function of their 67-68 Bolt-on hood.
We will not be adding a scoop...but we plan to remove the center ridge...which does not seem fit the body lines very well and add two functional Ram Air cut-outs in the leading edge of the hood...similar to the Suncoast Creations Pontiac Trans Am Raptor hood. Thankfully, we have a good 'glass man!
Would much prefer to keep the steel hood, but removing the center ridge would cause serious distortion...more than we would care to overcome.

C106
1967 C10 shortbed