The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #1
buildinga55

76 nova subframe on AD truck Pros Cons

I am looking at a driver truck that I would want to lower that has a 76 nova subframe. I had a 48 chevy with a mustang 2, that was lowered and worked great. This truck I am looking at is more of an old driver, but I would want to lower with some 18"s or something. Is the 76 Nova too wide or any pros and cons would be appreciated. I have not seen the truck yet, but it might work for what I want.

Thanks
buildinga55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:40 AM   #2
Iceburgh

Re: 76 nova subframe on AD truck Pros Cons

If you want to lower on a nova or camaro clip you will need yo narrow the control arms 1". Buy them but they are not cheap or use metric control arms from a regal/monte/ cutlass
Old 11-08-2014, 02:49 AM   #3
Advanced Design

Fatman Fabrications use to sell narrowed control arms for an application like that. Don't see them on their website now though they may still have them.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
izonme13

ICEBURGH, I didn't know the metric stuff was narrower. Is it after 1978 that works?
izonme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
tmoble

yes, they're narrower but I'm not sure the mounts are the same. IOW, if the A-arms are interchangeable between sub-frames without some hacking. Anybody know for sure? You might just be better off to mount a mini-Monte front frame section.

The AD frame rails are closer together in the front too.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
49bourbon

I've got a 79 nova clip under a 49 suburban w no issues. I got the stance where I wanted by placement of frame on the curved portion of the clip. I used some offset on rims but can't remember what it was. I'd be interested in knowing answer above on metric parts
49bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
Iceburgh

As far as I know they are. I got mine from Fatman....when I talked to them I said I need the ones that are 1" narrower . He said then you need the metric. He sent them out and they bolted to my Camaro sub frame.
So I say yes however I have never used stock ones from a scrap yard.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:53 AM   #8
tmoble

if the a-arms are an inch narrower what happens with the drag link, tie rods and stabilizer bar?
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
izonme13

From what I've researched, metric lca are 9" from bushing to bushing and camaro/nova lca are 11.5" between bushings. So I don't believe this will work unless you want to fabricate new lower mounts.
izonme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:26 PM   #10
mr48chev

Many of suspension and brake pieces interchange between the 73/77 Chevelle, Lemans, Cutlass & Regal, Nova, Firebird and Camaro but I think the Metric units starting with 78 G bodies and S-10 are completely different and don't interchange.

As for the pros and cons of doing a subframe swap.

Pros or assumed pros:

Low entry cost as the compete subframes usually go for between one and three hundred dollars in most areas.
Reasonable cost of replacement parts plus easy access to said parts at any parts house that sells parts for American cars. Even the new guy at Autozone can look up 74 Nova tie rod ends on the computer.
If they are done right they drive pretty well and stop pretty well.

CONS:

You are pretty well on your own as to lining one up on the frame and welding it on in the right place unless you have someone local who has done some that can help with advice or someone on this or another board that can show you photos and walk you through it. There is no "Kit" or set of instructions.

Sheet metal fit can be a royal pain becuse you end up cutting a lot of clearance room for the A arms in the inner fender panels and you have to fab a core support and then get everything to line up with and fit the cab.

As discussed above getting "your" choice of wheels and tires to fit inside the fenders so you can actually drive the truck and make turns can be a real challenge or you may have to use a combination that, was/is not your choice.

Narrow control arms aren't cheap, looking at Jegs catalog with Heidts control arms you are looking at up to 1100 just for upper and lower control arms http://www.jegs.com/i/Heidts/164/CA-...ductId=1686925 http://www.jegs.com/i/Heidts/164/CA-...ductId=1686925 You can find some cheaper stuff for circle track cars on Ebay (I couldn't open the Speedway site this morning) but they may not be optimum for the street and don't come with ball joints.

I'd suggest figuring out what you want to do and what rims and tires you want to run and sit down and figure out what the real cost to do it either with the subframe and extra parts you need to make it work or a MII style kit that comes pretty well complete or one of the other options.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:41 PM   #11
buildinga55

This truck is already built. I was asking about the width of the nova frame to see if it could be lowered or if it is too wide. Sounds like its too wide. It is already lowered some but has stock looking steel wheels. But I wanted to go with 17's or something along that line. So sounds like I should pass on this one. My previous truck had mustang ii. It worked great. Thanks
buildinga55 is offline   Reply With Quote