The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2003, 10:22 PM   #1
BOSS
Just here to help

TBI flooded and 400 rebuild ??

Ok guys i need some help here.First off i am working on my brother-in-laws 89 k10,and the tbi is flooding it bad.help me go through what i need to please.....lol......Second ? i have a 400 sbc i am wanting to rebuild to put into a 72 4x4 lwb and i am wanting to tow with it so i am after your advice as to what would be best.
I have always trusted your info and i need it again......THANX

Norwood Survivor
BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 11:53 PM   #2
frost89434

As for the tbi check to make sure that the injector is seated good in the housing. It could also be the seal around the injector. When I rebuilt my tbi i didn't have it seated properly and it flooded really bad. JIM
Sparks, Nevada
frost89434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 12:37 AM   #3
BOSS
Just here to help

thanx i will have to look at that tomorrow

Norwood Survivor
Old 08-17-2003, 08:18 AM   #4
BOSS
Just here to help

TTT come on guys i have to work this morning but am wanting to work on the truck this afternoon so i am bringing this back to the top for some more things i should try.I really need to try to get this truck back on the road and would like to get started on the 400sbc too...Thanx

Norwood Survivor
Old 08-17-2003, 12:02 PM   #5
Locutus

You also need to make sure your injectors are functioning properly. If one is staying open it could cause it to flood.
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 12:06 PM   #6
charlieo

my 400

I built mine about a year ago W/ the following :
Block zero decked , bored and honed (of cource)
new vortec heads , hypereutetic pistons on 5.7 " rods,comp cam kit. this motor runs really well !
charlieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 01:48 PM   #7
Chevy Wrench
former desert rat

Location: salt lake city, utah Home of the 3 M's Mormons, methlabs and minivans
As far as the TBI flooding, here we go... Ok, lets see why its squirting too much gas. The reasons could be many, however, the pcm sets flow rate. Are both injectors flooding? Unplug one and check it. The O2 sensor sends a signal to the pcm to tell the injectors to richen or lean out. Also the TPS (throttle position sensor) tells the injectors exactly how much fuel to spray. Have you scanned the pcm for any codes? That would be the first thing I would do. Second, I would test the tps with the scanner still connected so you can see the percentage values. Third, I would do an ohm's test on the o2s. And then if everything tests fine, I would check the fuel pressure, and make sure its not pumping too much. If it is ok, then I would start to tear apart the tbi and have the injectors flow tested. After that, there isnt much left that could go wrong. Good luck, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
John
94 Chevy Silverado Ext cab 4/6 drop w/ 18's and 2500watt system (work truck). 67 Chevy swb under const. frame off custom, 20's, bagged and a large rat under the hood,and a 1940 Chevy truck under const.
Chevy Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 01:55 PM   #8
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

If coolant temp sensor fails, it will read -40 degrees. The computer will richen the crap out of it. Kind of like a choke on a carb. Check this with a scanner to see what temp the sensor is reading. It should be ambient temp on an unstarted engine, or 180-200 degrees on a warm one.
Old 08-17-2003, 02:30 PM   #9
Chevy Wrench
former desert rat

Location: salt lake city, utah Home of the 3 M's Mormons, methlabs and minivans
I seem to always overlook one peice of the puzzle...
94 Chevy Silverado Ext cab 4/6 drop w/ 18's and 2500watt system (work truck). 67 Chevy swb under const. frame off custom, 20's, bagged and a large rat under the hood,and a 1940 Chevy truck under const.
Chevy Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 04:12 PM   #10
BOSS
Just here to help

wanted to let you guys know that it is flooding too bad to even get it running.How can i get codes without it running?And remember i am doing this the redneck way.......no scanners,code readers,nothing that would probably help me.......lol
Thanx guys for all of your help i am going to go try some more stuff and i will check back soon
btw it is getting hot out there.......lol

Norwood Survivor
Old 08-17-2003, 06:26 PM   #11
BOSS
Just here to help

again

i tried to change the computer and still nothing.It still sprays REALLY fast out of the injectors.If i let it sit for awhile it will hit just a little then it floods it again.Cant get it to start.Keep the sugestions comeing ok..Thanx

Norwood Survivor
Old 08-17-2003, 07:35 PM   #12
73stepside

check the fuel pressure regulator too. to pull codes, you can jumper pins on the aldl which should be at the bottom of the driver side dash. it looks like a big electrical plug. you should jumper the last 2 pins on the plug. they will be on the passenger side of the plug. if those don't work, them move the top pin over to the left one and it should work. do not start the truck when doing this or you could fry the computer. the service engine soon light will start to flash. if the light flashes 2 times quickly pauses then flashes 3 times quickly then stops and flashes the same code again, then you have a codes 23. that's just an example. you will have to get the codes from a chilton's or a code reader book.
73stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 07:42 PM   #13
Piston
Account Suspended

Does it spray fuel when you turn the key on? I've seen a few of these ground the injector wire causing it to stay open all the time. The wire loom is pulled pretty tight on the right rear corner and will ground out on the lift bracket.

For the codes you'll want to jumper terminals A and B. This will be a white/black wire and a black/white wire. Jumper them and turn the key on. start watching the flashes.

Post your codes in here and I'll post the information on them.

Last edited by Piston; 08-17-2003 at 07:55 PM.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 10:23 PM   #14
BOSS
Just here to help

Guess i'll have to wait to get a book on it,cant tell if it sprays as soon as the key is on it is just me working on it.....lol.I really want to thank everyone for the help today.I might not have it fixed but i have been able to work on it at least....lol.Thanx guys

Norwood Survivor