The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
go baby go

Coilovers?

does anybody make a coil over conversion for these trucks? looking for more of a diy route because i want to do this on a budget. Because i don't have ton of money since im still in school. Just thought coil overs would be a good way to go since I daily a 67 step side that I also drag race, and autocross.
go baby go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: Coilovers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by go baby go View Post
does anybody make a coil over conversion for these trucks? looking for more of a diy route because i want to do this on a budget. Because i don't have ton of money since im still in school. Just thought coil overs would be a good way to go since I daily a 67 step side that I also drag race, and autocross.
So, you drag race an autocrosser? That should work well.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #3
low&slow
Account Suspended

There is coil over conversions for these trucks, but they are quite expensive. I wouldn't say its a budget type of conversion that is unless your budget is more than $3,000 assuming you want coil overs in the front and rear.

Although if you can weld really good and fabricate really good, you can do it cheaper than a kit.

As for drag racing and autocross, this is what's going to happen. Either you're going to slide all over the place and hook on the strip or you're going to do good with autocross and bad at drag racing. Autocross and drag racing do not go together at all. The set up on a vehicle for autocross is 100% different than a set up for drag racing.
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
Matt Cramer

The main advantage with coil overs is the ability to adjust the ride height. Handling comes from your choice of spring rates, sway bars, and shock calibrations, as well as chassis stiffness. If you're on a budget - and don't have your own lathe - I would avoid coil overs and focus on basic tuning instead.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote