The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2003, 10:46 AM   #1
chevykid1969

Help....Water in my gas tank

I have been having trouble with my truck back fireing and cutting out when i gave it gas,today i realized that i have water in my ga tank. I recently moved the gas tank to the rear and some how the water made its way by the cap. There is enough in there that when i try to crank it all i see in the fuel filter i water(Sh!t) So i riged up a small tank( 2gallon) for it to run of before i clean the tank, but even on clean gas it cranks but wont go. I have changed the fuel filter but does not help. What should i do next. Oh yeah plugs look pretty fouled, could that be all that is causing my problem.
chevykid1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 10:51 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

change the plugs and gumout the hell outta the carb drain the gas tank andclean it out good and then make sure that no more water is getting in there

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 11:22 AM   #3
dmurphy68

you can go to your local parts store and get a water remover for gas. I use it in my boat all the time

No free man shall be debarred the use of arms
- Thomas Jefferson

Later Darren
http://www.myspace.com/dmurphy68
dmurphy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 11:28 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I don't know if water remover will clean out that much water though.
I would siphon out all the fuel, inspect teh tank real closely and ensure that the water was only getting in from the cap, (how about teh O ring on top?) than full up and put 2 bottles of the water remover in it.
As for not wanting to start now, your carb bowls are full of water now too. You could drain the carb by removing it and tipping it over, if a Holley you can remove the bowls and let it puke onto the intake, if an AFB remove the top 1/2 and get it out with a rag, No idea how to get it out of a quadra-jet...or you could crank the crap out of it and spray it into your engine for a few seconds, then spray some starting fluid in the carb and fire it up to turn the water into steam and then do it over again when it stalls untill all the water is out of the carb. Remember the secondaries will be full too, so it may stumble when you get into it on the road, but that will take care of its self after a few hot laps down the free way.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 11:46 AM   #5
chevykid1969

How would i go about getting the water out of the carb. Go slow i dont know thank much. Thanks

Its a Holley

Last edited by chevykid1969; 08-17-2003 at 12:18 PM.
chevykid1969 is offline   Reply With Quote