The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
DarkFlounder

67-72 body part interchangability?

When I got my 72 GMC long bed 4x4, I already knew I was going to have to outright replace the bed. Decades of hauling firewood have beaten it into submission. But I thought the cab was salvagable. Some rocker and floorboard rust, but nothing unrepairable.

But I've been giving thought to finding a reasonably straight and rust-free cab and prepping/restoring it off the truck.

So, my question is, how interchangable are 67-72 cabs, beds and doors? What are the differences across those 5 years?

I don't need to be original to the 72, but (for example) will a 67 cab look wrong next to a 72 bed.
DarkFlounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
bodydropped68

Re: 67-72 body part interchangability?

there are some minor differences but from the outside the body will line up fine. the small back window common on 67 cabs used with the 68-72 bed and fenders which have marker lites 67 didn't may raise an eyebrow but if it is a big back window 67 no one will know
bodydropped68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:49 PM   #3
lousblown55chevy

I thought the 67 doors are different , something about how the outside handles attach.
lousblown55chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:15 AM   #4
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFlounder View Post
When I got my 72 GMC long bed 4x4, I already knew I was going to have to outright replace the bed. Decades of hauling firewood have beaten it into submission. But I thought the cab was salvagable. Some rocker and floorboard rust, but nothing unrepairable.

But I've been giving thought to finding a reasonably straight and rust-free cab and prepping/restoring it off the truck.

So, my question is, how interchangable are 67-72 cabs, beds and doors? What are the differences across those 5 years?

I don't need to be original to the 72, but (for example) will a 67 cab look wrong next to a 72 bed.
Well, check your local laws about changing the cab in regards to VIN plate on the door jamb. You might have to find a cab WITH a title. You may have to use that title, or you might be able to get a new title if you have titles to both trucks you are combining. "They" use special rivets to install them at the factory I think they are called "Rosett" rivets.

IF it were mine, I'd cut out the metal plate around the VIN plate on the 72 (or the entire door jamb) and "replace" the rest of the cab because of rust and say it's a repaired cab and it still matches the title (it just took a lot of repair LOL), like a quarter panel repair or whatever. It would be best to OWN the title to the donor cab just to show you didn't steal anything.

That being said, any large rear window cab will look right. 67-68 use a throttle lever and newer ones use a cable, not sure exactly where the change-over occurred I'm guessing 69.

I believe doors are interchangeable, but they take different door panels I think. Personally, I like the plain jane metal door panels.

IF you don't have a/c, this might be a good time to think about it on the new cab if you want factory, or get a non-a/c cab to put aftermarket air on.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote