The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
jb3t

Bought a 1978 Chevy Big 10 Cheyenne

Hello,

First time poster here. My son (17) and I bit the bullet and bought a 1978 Chevy C-10. Though he likes the body style of the Fords more, we both fell in-love with this truck. It's a one owner vehicle that was well maintained and drives very smoothly. All original. It's got a few small rust spots but other than that, it's pretty solid.

I'm looking for some opinions from the group. I'm curious what you guys would recommend we do to the truck to jazz it up (aka... make it look a little more mean) without compromising the original character. Other than going through it mechanically, here's what I an thinking is on the short list from a visual perspective.

- Remove the top.
- get some cooler rims
- get some sort of protection for the bed.
- Definitely need a radio.
- Do something to make it a little more mean.

Notice that it has running boards. Not sure if they are original.

While I know quite a bit about cars, this is our first foray into a truck. So, I have no idea where to go to get parts, info, etc... Will learn quick though.

Last edited by jb3t; 11-19-2014 at 08:32 PM.
jb3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
KrazyRay

Re: Bought a 1978 Chevy Big 10 Cheyenne

Welcome!
I agree to get rid of the shell, however, I think those ralley wheels are very cool. It would look more mean by doing a 3/5 drop with wider tires on those wheels. Maybe paint the wheels black. Change the mirrors to sport mirrors to get rid of the "camper" look. Remove the running boards. That's only my opinion. I'm sure others will disagree with me.
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
J Knight

I agree with KrazyRay. Remove the grampa stuff, then drop with 20s or keep the rallys, some dual exhaust and a sport bumper.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
thepenguin99

I agree with KrazyRay for the most part.

- Paint the rally wheels black or body color, consider leaving the trim rings off.
- Wider tires in the back.
- Drop it. Spindles, 1 coil cut up front, and a flip kit in the rear would give you a nice look.
- Remove running boards. They aren't factory and are fugly.
- Topper could stay or go imo. I kinda like it but I am not sure I like it on that particular truck. If you remove the topper sport mirrors would help clean up the look of the truck. Can get plugs for the holes left by the old mirrors.

If you do decide to go with different wheels give the boss 338 in black a look. Would look great on that truck and I imagine a 17y/o might like them better than the rally.
thepenguin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
jb3t

Thanks. Keep the ideas coming. I had not thought of a lot of the stuff mentioned. I'll have to take a look at pics where trucks are lowered. I think we are looking for more of the raise it, southern look.

I'm a total Chevy Truck noob. I'm not even quite sure what we bought. It was an impulse buy. We "felt it". I've owned Nissan Maximas for the past 17 years.

Can you guys tell me the best places to go for parts... Like the sport mirrors?

Also, is this forum "the place" for Chevy truck info?

Appreciate all the comments. Can't wait to start working on this thing.

Last edited by jb3t; 11-19-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

drive it and im not a fan of lowering it but that is one sweet truck

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:43 AM   #7
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

Let me compliment you on your choice of trucks!
Old 11-20-2014, 02:46 AM   #8
Your41Plague12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb3t View Post
Thanks. Keep the ideas coming. I had not thought of a lot of the stuff mentioned. I'll have to take a look at pics where trucks are lowered. I think we are looking for more of the raise it, southern look.

I'm a total Chevy Truck noob. I'm not even quite sure what we bought. It was an impulse buy. We "felt it". I've owned Nissan Maximas for the past 17 years.

This forum is most definitely "the place" for Chevy truck info. Anything you can imagine, you can find it here. On the subject of lifting your 2wd Big 10, not many people do that. There are a few guys on here who have done it with decent results, but most people who want a lifted truck either have a 4x4 or would convert it. In the case of your truck, personally, I would lose the camper shell and running boards and drive it until the wheels fall off. I wouldn't change much, it's super nice as it is.
Bushwacker Cutouts, 38x15.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws,
350 HP 350 crate engine from Jegs, Turbo 400
Your41Plague12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:33 AM   #9
andrewmp6

Lose the topper and steps lower it a little with 18s on it.As far as bedliner if you got the money line-x is hard to beat but pricey.For parts http://www.lmctruck.com/ http://www.brotherstrucks.com/ http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #10
jb3t

I'm going to take the shell and running boards off immediately and see how she looks. I've got a few Qs.

- Bed Liner... There is no bed liner in this truck and I would like to put one in to protect it. However, I'm not sure I want to spray one in as, in my mind, I could not easily convert it back to original. Is my thinking off here? As it's nearly all original, I do want to protect the original-ness of the truck.

- Sport Mirrors... I think I would swap out the mirrors too. Firstly, where's the best spot to get them? Secondly, how will the holes line up? Obviously they won't have the long supports and I'll have to somehow plug the holes but I am talking the base holes.

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
Robert Crandall

Nice truck! It seems that it must have been kept inside to still look like that now. If you are not able to keep it inside, then it will be hard to keep it looking that nice, especially if you plan to drive it in the winter salt. That shell has probably kept the bed looking nice. A spray coating will keep it nice. You are right in that it will not be original, but it will look nicer than the effects of weathering.

I bought a 1978 C20 new, kept it waxed, and still keep it waxed today. However, I learned that they were assembled and painted only on the outside. All inner surfaces between the double panels are bare steel. Mine is rusting from the inside out. You can look into the holes and see the uncoated steel waiting to follow the rusty path. If someone has advice on how you can get yours treated, then that will help it stay nice.
Robert Crandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:23 AM   #12
parrisc19844x4_468

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb3t View Post

Welcome, nice truck.

We have a nice classified section by years here also that guys sell parts.
Also at the top of this site ,you will see some of the sponsors for this site advertisement there. Its nice to consider them as well.
Good luck.
1968 GMC 20 305 V6 good ole wood hauler.

Good Fences make good neighbors
parrisc19844x4_468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #13
thefraze_1020

I agree with most guys on here. Swap to sport mirrors, and sell the existing mirrors on this site, I'm sure someone would want them.

I really like the rally rims, I'd keep those.

I'm a topper guy myself, but that one just doesn't right on that truck.

With that said, I think a spray-in bed liner looks cool when it's all said and done. I'd get that before one of those plastic bed liners in a heartbeat.

Definitely remove the running boards.

One thing you might consider is a dual exhaust setup out the back.

Overall, love the truck! It's a nice one, you did well.
And also check out these sites for parts:
http://www.classicparts.com/
http://www.gmcpauls.com/index.htm
http://classicheartbeat.com/
https://www.americanclassic.com/

Welcome!

1984 Chevy C20 Custom Deluxe
thefraze_1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #14
thefraze_1020

...oh and also, consider removing the rear step bumper, and getting a chrome sport bumper.

1984 Chevy C20 Custom Deluxe
thefraze_1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:40 PM   #15
jb3t

I truly appreciate the comments and opinions. I took possession of the truck today and my son and I took the topper off and it looks much better. The thing weighed about 100 pounds. The folks that owned the truck must have slept back there as it was insulated and had smoke detector in it.

- Running Boards... Not easy to get off. They actually appear stock and may be welded on.

- Mirrors... Got to ask my local body guy how to handle the holes. Also, which ones are the sport mirrors? I see two types.

- Wheel Well Rust... When trying to take off the running boards, I noticed a good section of rot and rust in the wheel well. Not sure hot to approach that one.

- Radio... It's a joke. Are there radios that fit wo destroying the dash?
Old 11-20-2014, 11:56 PM   #16
TheCougarine

If going for a "Southern" look the first thing I'd do rather than raising it is put some off road tires or even just some nice all terrains in a little bigger size on those wheels and see how you like that before worrying about taking a bunch of stuff off the truck.
TheCougarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:15 AM   #17
andrewmp6

For a radio that fits the stock dash http://www.retrosound.com/ the other one is http://www.casmfg.com/ but some people love it and some say its total crap.As far as the rust let a body guy look at it see how much its gonna cost to fix that and fill the mirror holes at the same time/
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #18
K5owner

I am not a fan of body lift but in your case a ice 2 or 3 inch body lift would get the truck up enough to run 33's with ease. Not to mention keep your ride comfortable. You would need to lengthen a few things but it isn't hard at all. There are just no real kits to lift these 2wd square body trucks. A nice set of aggressive all terrain tires on those rally wheels, a sport rear bumper and mirrors with some bumperettes would set it off nicely and make it look period correct and 'meaner'.

Take some good pics of the rust and let us see how bad it is.
K5owner is offline   Reply With Quote