The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
LuckySumbich

Airride vs Static

Hey everyone, some of you may know me through instagram and from the Git-Down this weekend. For that that don't, my name is Chaz. I've been a for member for a few months now, haven't posted anything until now though.

To the topic in the subject title. Airride vs static...

I have a '72 bowtie lwb 2wd and I'm planning a major suspension overhaul on it this coming year. It's already lowered with cut coils and shackles (leaf spring rear, obviously) and I'm just curious of the pros/cons of airride on these trucks vs those of static/coilover setups.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #2
tsetsaf

Re: Airride vs Static

Depends on how you will be using the truck and your budget. Metal is less expensive and tried and true. Air ride costs more upfront and requires a bit more care. We have a stock ride height full air ride setup with auto level. The biggest mistake we made was starting out with cheap fittings from airbagit.com (don't buy any of their stuff). 17k miles in I have now replaced every single one of their fittings and nylon hose with dot airline and brass ptf fittings designed for semi trucks brakes and bags. Point being you need the money to buy the good stuff upfront.

The advantage of air ride is an amazingly smooth ride.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
LuckySumbich

Oh, I definitely am aware of Airbagit/Chassistech. I'm not planning to run cheap crap, I want names like Ridetech and Accuair to grace this thing since I plan to drive it and enjoy it. I won't be daily driving it once this is done, but I plan to drive it locally and possibly across state lines for the Brothers show and other big shows here in the southwest. So I definitely know what you're saying about cheap parts and issues with it. Also why I don't want it laid completely out, I want it to stance it low for show, but still be able to be driven if it leaks out to 0psi for whatever reason. That leads me to my next question, who has used Ridetech Shockwave bags and Accuair management systems? What the tricks and known issues with their products? Also I'm looking for the same info for Porterbuilt stuff, drop members, etc.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:21 PM   #4
slowcpe

Look into the PB stage 1 front, stage 2 rear if you don't want to lay frame. That's the route I'm going. Adding the Accuair e-level and possibly ridetech HQ shocks if there's still some room in the budget. I'm expecting the truck to sit, ride and handle great.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:04 AM   #5
67ctener

I was in the same boat as you. I went 4/6 and it just wasn't low enough for me... I thought about squeezing another inch and going 5/7 but then you run into issues such as alignment, clearance, and bottoming out. So why not go bags? The ride is outstanding, the adjustability is only with bags, drive it low and show park it even lower. Best bet is go pb stage 1 and accuair switch speed. I personally wouldn't waste money on e level with this mild of a kit but that's just my opinion.
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
72MARIO

After owing a truck without ride height sensors I would never bag a truck without using the ride height sensors. I love the simplicity of my Accuair system.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #7
Paul V

Sorry to jump onto this thread but i think it is relevant.

I know with Airride you have air bags instead of springs. I understand there is the slammed look IE deflated however is there then a "driving" height ? or does it just go to max lift?

I guess what i am saying is if you have say 6" of travel can you just set it where you want it and drive?
Paul V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #8
cardreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul V View Post

I know with Airride you have air bags instead of springs. I understand there is the slammed look IE deflated however is there then a "driving" height ? or does it just go to max lift?

I guess what i am saying is if you have say 6" of travel can you just set it where you want it and drive?
With ride tech u have 3 settings you can put into it slammed(deflated) ride height and another setting of your choice like maybe a hight in between each these hights you set your self into the hand control so to I think answer you question u can set your ride hight where every you choice
cardreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
YBNORML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul V View Post

Absolutely. Google AccuAir and you will find a few videos of out trucks. The videos are pretty informative and quite cool to watch. I use them all the time when I try to explain what I am building to others who aren't into it.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #10
tsetsaf

We used a Dakota Digital system that allows in cab height adjustments on the fly with three preset ride heights (push button dump), full dump, and full inflation Running stock height my 2600 lbs bags are about 45 psi in the rear and 60 psi in the front. I currently have it set for low = 1" lower and high=1" higher. During normal driving I only really use the high while running dirt roads when extra clearance is needed. The thing to be conscious of is the impact on alignment when changing ride heights.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #11
hubba033

whats the difference in Accuair's e-level and switchspeed systems?
Old 11-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #12
slowcpe

E-level has ride height sensors at all 4 wheels to keep the truck at the preset level.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:42 PM   #13
chevy2tom

From what I've read e level is set it & forget it, if you pick up your buddy or load the back corner of the bed the e level self adjusts it back to the preset level.
chevy2tom is offline   Reply With Quote