The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2014, 09:34 PM   #1
barmanvarn

Confirm engine size?

Working on a '69 GMC C15. I found a stamping on the block which I think is 3921968. (the "6" is hard to read so am unsure)

Name:  IMG_2463.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  56.1 KB

If my google skills are any good, it tells me this is a 230 CID. Can someone confirm I'm reading the numbers correctly and that my assessment of it being 230 CID is correct?

thanks
barmanvarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
brawley
Easy Does It

Re: Confirm engine size?

my 68' has the same code its a 250
brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:48 PM   #3
barmanvarn

On a related note....once I figure out what engine I actually have, is there a way to get a full repair manual or specification manual that details everything about that specific engine?

I'd love to be able to identify all the various bits and pieces.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:56 PM   #4
brawley
Easy Does It

gmheritagecenter.com has vehicle info kits.. not a repair manual but has some info. on the inline's that came in these trucks
brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:05 PM   #5
barmanvarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawley View Post
my 68' has the same code its a 250
Well crap. I've been getting myself so confused over this the last few days. LOL

I'm not disagreeing with you, but am making sure I understand.

I found this thread on the forum:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=356268

And it has this entry:
3921968 Chevrolet / Oldsmobile 64 - 76 230, 250

I also found this site:
http://www.castingnumbers.info/site/...cks/t/Inline-6

Which states: 230 CID, 250 CID, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile for this casting number

Does that mean I may have a 230 or a 250? Is there a way to definitively determine what size engine I have?
Old 11-22-2014, 10:17 PM   #6
oldertruckfan

the stroke will determine which motor it is. stroke on a 230 is 3.25 . on a 250 its 3 17/32, I think
oldertruckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #7
barmanvarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldertruckfan View Post
the stroke will determine which motor it is. stroke on a 230 is 3.25 . on a 250 its 3 17/32, I think
I'm dangerous enough with engines to understand what you're saying, but I believe that requires me getting into the internals of the engine, which is not something I want to do right now.

The reason I'm so concerned with engine size is I'm trying to buy some parts and want to make sure I get the right things for the right engine.

Here's a dumb question....would the 230 and 250 be physically identical on the outside? Worded another way, if I'm servicing things in the engine bay that are accessible without taking the engine apart, does it matter whether I have the 230 or the 250?

I hope the answer is yes because I've been looking for parts all day and I pretty much see parts for the 250 listed all over the place but can find hardly anything for the 230.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:52 PM   #8
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmanvarn View Post
I'm dangerous enough with engines to understand what you're saying, but I believe that requires me getting into the internals of the engine, which is not something I want to do right now.

The reason I'm so concerned with engine size is I'm trying to buy some parts and want to make sure I get the right things for the right engine.

Here's a dumb question....would the 230 and 250 be physically identical on the outside? Worded another way, if I'm servicing things in the engine bay that are accessible without taking the engine apart, does it matter whether I have the 230 or the 250?

I hope the answer is yes because I've been looking for parts all day and I pretty much see parts for the 250 listed all over the place but can find hardly anything for the 230.
I'm no expert but to the best of my knowledge if your talking about plugs, points condensor and carb stuff that would be correct. The 292 has a different block, its taller and the fuel pump and distributer location are different

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:00 PM   #9
oldertruckfan

if you have a set of 4 way calipers, you can go through the plug opening and check the stroke. that's about the quickest way to determine what you have. either way, most parts from a 230 will fit a 250. same block and heads. internals are also basically the same too. this is about the best thing with chevy's
oldertruckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:00 PM   #10
barmanvarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
I'm no expert but to the best of my knowledge if your talking about plugs, points condensor and carb stuff that would be correct. The 292 has a different block, its taller and the fuel pump and distributer location are different
Thanks. The reason my being a bit crazy about finding out for sure is that it looks like I'll have to order 99% of my parts online and don't want to get the wrong thing and worry about having to ship it back.

Right now I'm trying to order new radiator hoses and can't find a single site that lists them for the 230, only the 250.

Hell, I tried to order the hoses at O'Reilly's and the 230 shows zero options for hoses. They only show up if you select the 250. That made me think they may not be the same so wanted to confirm.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:03 PM   #11
barmanvarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldertruckfan View Post
if you have a set of 4 way calipers, you can go through the plug opening and check the stroke. that's about the quickest way to determine what you have. either way, most parts from a 230 will fit a 250. same block and heads. internals are also basically the same too. this is about the best thing with chevy's
Hadn't considered going through the plug opening. Nice idea.

First I have to order some parts and right now I'm not even sure I can turn the engine over far enough to get a full stroke.

If I get to the point where I can get it to turn freely, I'll check out the stroke using this method.

thanks!
Old 11-22-2014, 11:06 PM   #12
barmanvarn

So riddle me this guys.

If the 230 and 250 are basically the same (at least externally) why, when searching for radiator hoses, do I only see the 250 listed and never see the 230?

Am I just shopping the wrong sites?

Sorry for so many questions....Just trying to learn.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #14
barmanvarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Here's a history link in case you havent seen it.

http://www.hotsixes.com/chevy-inline-6/

My collection of subscribed threads, maybe a couple of people in these can answer your question? I was under the assumption that our trucks ether had the 250 or 292.
Thanks! I certainly give this all a read.

I'm still learning, but so far everything I've read says the option (for that year at least) was 230, 250, or 292 in the straight 6. I could be wrong, but that's what I've read on a few sites.