The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2014, 12:41 AM   #1
eighteenninetytwo

Tailgate glass problem

Was just prepping the 75 for bodyshop and was taking out the inner and outer window seals on the tailgate (this is a new tailgate i scored which hasn't been fitted yet). I notice that on one side (left as you look at it when attached) the window is NOT in the guide channel and it won't come all the way up. What are the tips and tricks for getting it back in? ARE there any ways of doing it without dissassembly?? i have exactly two days before the truck goes to bodyshop so my time is limited unfortunately.
eighteenninetytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Willowrun

Re: Tailgate glass problem

I had that same problem with a blazer before, though it was some years ago. Going by memory, with the tailgate open take the inner panel off so you can see what is going on in there. If you look in there at the channel you will see bolts coming in from the side of the tailgate (around where the support cables are) that connect the channel to the tailgate. Loosen those. The channel should now be able to be moved and adjusted. You need to use a long screwdriver or pry bar to carefully realign the window into the channel. You may need to loosen the other channel to get enough movement out of the window. Once the window is in the channel try to align the channels properly and tighten. You may need to raise the window out of the tailgate some during this process.
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
Ski-me

Yea, what Willowrun said. You can actually take the bolts all the way out and make the channel completely movable. I don't know about the older trucks and if you have a manual crank, but on the electric, you can take the cable out of the motor, attach your drill to the end and then run the window up, out of the tailgate. Just be sure you can support it if it gets out too far.

That may help with your access in there. Those channels are suppose to have felt in them but tend to deteriorate over time. Hopefully you still have some in there.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
eighteenninetytwo

Actually I Just checked and the felt is completely gone. If Unpbolt the channels Can one remove them , refelt and reinstall with the winod and eveything else still installed? if so what would i use for the felt? maybe baize??
Old 11-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
Ski-me

I think you can remove them without removing the glass but you may have to crank your window up out of the tailgate a little bit....maybe 3/4 the way out or so (with it open and folded in the down position).

I haven't looked on the felt replacement but you might be able to go to an auto window glass place to see what they may have. I know one guy who replaced his side windows in his topper and went to an auto glass company for some of the felt stuff. Just don't want it too snug to cause too much friction on the glass going up. At least for my electric, I need all the help I can get and having extra friction is not desirable!

Old 11-25-2014, 12:24 AM   #6
Irish1941

Pretty much what Jeff and Willow said. The felt for the channel just slips in.
Unbolt the glass from the regulator via the sash and it will come it easy.
Don't try to slide it off the track like a door glass. Not designed to work that way.

Three things needs to happen for the window come out.
1- Both L&R guide caps need to come off the tailgate
2- Inner and outer window strips need to come off the tailgate (for a proper job)
3- Window needs to be unbolted (4 of them) from the regulator in about 3/4 up position, tailgate down. Use a stool or equal to support the glass.

I have taken ALOT of these out and I have had to once in awhile loosen the channels. 9 time out of 10 if you do the above it will slide right out. The regulator will try to hang you up by grabbing the window sash.
Irish1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
eighteenninetytwo

I have the inner and outer window strips off already as i have new ones to fit. Guide caps are off already. Tailgate is not fitted to the truck at present so i will try to take out the guide channels tonight and re glue new felt into them. If i cannot get them out without removing the window I will have to be happy with just getting the glass back in the channel so it works again and going without felt.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:30 PM   #8
eighteenninetytwo

I managed to get the channels out without breaking the glass. Now I have to clean them up and put some new new felt in them. Actually quite easy with only two bolts to undo. really appreciate the advice. happy thanksgiving all.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #9
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

What kind of felt would you use that would last?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #10
eighteenninetytwo

Not sure on that. I had to leave it with the bodyshop guy for him to sort out as my wife threw away the bit of tape with the bolts in after I left it on the kitchen counter (aargh!).
Old 12-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #11
Ski-me

Are you now missing parts/screws?