The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
Dball

2 piston Calipers

I tried the search with no luck. Is there a stock 2 piston caliper that I can use on my 81 GMC. Something that'll work with the stock booster. I see Wilwood and Brothers have some options but I'm wondering if something from a Camaro or even newer truck will work?
Dball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
Kinze

Re: 2 piston Calipers

One thing to consider is that a dual piston will not have anymore clamping (stopping power) as the master cylinder is not applying anymore fluid pressure to the piston.
Kinze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #3
Dball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinze View Post
One thing to consider is that a dual piston will not have anymore clamping (stopping power) as the master cylinder is not applying anymore fluid pressure to the piston.
Really? I figured 2 Pistons would be better then one, same clamping force but on more surface area of the rotor?
Old 11-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
andrewmp6

With out changing the master cylinder your options are very limited to a wilwood d52 caliper.And he is right the master cylinder can only put out so much pressure.Using a under size master cylinder can give you weak brakes.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
wideopen1967

2 pistion calipers will definelty give you more stoping power. Basic hydraulics. Force = Area x Pressure, the more piston surface area you have the more force the caliper generates. The problem is the two piston caliper will take a higher volume of fluid to move this greater area of piston. So if you keep your stock master cylinder with two piston calipers your pedal will go down further to stop.

With all of that said Wilwood offers a direct replacement for a single cylinder caliper; http://www.wilwood.com/calipers/Cali...0Dual%20Piston
wideopen1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
Dball

I was looking at those D52's but everybody brings up a good point without changing the master it doesn't sound like it's worth it. I find it funny that you see these big brake kits everywhere with little mention or info on the master....or maybe it's just me
Old 12-31-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
bluex

I upgraded my old s10 to a dual piston caliper without changing the master and it was a huge improvement in stopping ability.

Call wilwood an see what they say about it. I'd do that before trusting a bunch of internet "experts"....
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:51 AM   #8
andrewmp6

Some big brake kits come with a new master cylinder depends the brand.If i had to change master cylinders i would look in to a hydro booster,It runs off your power steering and never have to worry about having enough vacuum or a leaking brake booster.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote