The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2003, 06:37 PM   #1
skyhawk1

snorkel on our trucks?

Hey guys, my son is wanting to put a snorkel on his 70 4x4. Anyone done this? Any info? thanks!
Oceana, West Virginia
skyhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 11:00 PM   #2
'89Z71

I really dont see the point? Is he always in water over 3-4 feet or somethin? Also the engine and the components arent water proofed so he will get water in the dipstick-into the oil and block, the distributer will short out, and the exhaust will not exhaust. It is possible though but would probably require cuting a hole in either one of the fenders and running the pipe up next to the windshield. If I was worried about getting water in the carb, I'd take the spendy route and lift the truck 6-10 inches
(If I am wrong about anything someone correct me please. )

*** LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES ***
My Truck
'89Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 02:58 PM   #3
bpmcgee

Well, both sides have merit. Certainly it's true that if you're in water over about the middle of your water pump, you're going to run into major problems. The electrical system is designed to resist MOISTURE, not immersion.

On the other hand, even with water lower, a LOT can splash around, and it doesn't require much water in the carb to stop you at a most inopportune place.

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 09:54 AM   #4
stlaser
Fabricator

Never seen one done on this year of truck but it sounds like if you had it you might be able to have some fun! Go for it and don't worry about all the prudish show truck guys opinions. They all live in subdivisions with paved drives! Just kiddin you prudes!

Built with the blood and sweat from the hands of a Chevy man.
stlaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 04:19 PM   #5
wildwood

I've seen it done on a '72 Blazer. I don't have a pic but the guy just cut a hole on the hood and ran it up along the corner of the cab. Real ugly but this guy definately went through some deep swamp! I don't know what other mods he did to waterproof the thing but he said he'd been through some even deaper stuff, like up to the window of his truck. I imagine you'd want to change your oil after. I say do it, then post a pic for us when you get real deep in the biggest swamp you can find!
Old 08-24-2003, 09:29 AM   #6
trukkers69

Is it for looks or does he really need it?If he really needs it Another way to do it would be to cut hole in upper firewall and run it into the passenger compartment. That Will keep the carb dry on all but a total submersion. He will have a good bit of intake noise, could be good or bad thing depending on how much he likes hearing 4 barrel kick in,But it will work as good and a lot less work. IF that dosen't tell him to buy his a$$ a boat.

trukkers69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 08:49 PM   #7
skyhawk1

Well guys, I talked to my son this evening, and he says that he has decided to take is a little easier on his truck. (no total submersion). The biggest problem he has is water splashing into the air cleaner, so I'm thinking about the idea of running the snorkle/dryer hose or something like that into the cab of the truck. We've already ran vent hoses off the front and rear end to a high and dry place. I've siliconed all the holes in the firewall, etc. so maybe it'll take a little water. He ruled with the truck last year up in Summersville, Wv at the Sky-Jacker Rocks Southern West Virginia event. He went out with about 20 Jeeps the first day and only 11 of the Jeeps came back on there own power. The first day of the event started out in a river about 3 ft. deep for about 3 or 4 miles. Anyway, the truck was the star of the event (made some believers out of Jeep fans), but we still ended up bringing it home on a roll back because he broke out the little ball that goes into the block that the Z-bar goes on. So thanks for all the replies.
Oceana, West Virginia
skyhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 09:37 PM   #8
Blackbob

I don't know if this helps but there is a guy on Cardomain who has a burban with a snorcal that he installed I'll post the linky for you ! It even has GPS on it too !!!!!!

~BB~

LINKY: CLICK ME !!!!!!

87' GMC Suburban 1500

Friend: So what's wrong with your truck ?

ME: I can tell you what's "NOT" wrong with it !!!
Blackbob is offline   Reply With Quote