The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
Arl37

Installing front coil springs on 69 C10

I will wrap up my conversion to disc brakes tomorrow when I re-install the front coil springs and wrap up the details. I plan to use the floor jack method to re install the springs. I did this a lot in the previous century many decades ago but my memory has faded and I have a question. In checking the forum, most commentaries on re-installing the front coil springs say the final connection of the the control arms once you have jacked up the coil spring should be the bottom ball joint. ie the spindle should be connected to the upper ball joint before you start jacking. Seems to me it would be easier to have the lower joint in place and then jack the lower control arm up and just drop the upper cont arm bolt in to the upper spindle hole. Any special reason for using the Lower ball joint as the final connection?
Arl37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:00 AM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Installing front coil springs on 69 C10

No reason at all. Either way is equally easy and works the same.

I usually jack the lower arm up to compress the spring then drop the heavy ass spindle and rotor onto the lower ball joint just to save energy. Then jack and maneuver it up further until the upper ball joint will fall into its hole.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:33 AM   #3
Arl37

That is pretty much my plan but I think I will install the caliper and rotors after I get the spindle and springs in.Concerned that assembled it is just to damn heavy to deal with. Had to disassemble any way to grease wheel bearings. I'm an old Texan to. From bonham. Left many years ago.
Arl37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:52 AM   #4
JonnyC10
Account Suspended

Ya, I waited til the spindle was all bolted up before I installed the rotor and caliper. I bolted the upper ball joint first and jacked up the lower a arm. Very easy. Just make sure you have the coil spring seated real good. Not sure about your year but my 67 has a raised bump in the spring cup. I put the cut edge of the spring up against it so that the coil wasn't sitting on top of it. Not sure if that's how its goes but made sense to me to do it that way. Good luck. Post some pics.
JonnyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
70c10stepper

I'm at this point also & my concern is when I put end of spring against bump stop in LCA, then the end at top of spring doesn't hit bump in crossmember spring pocket? I have no weight on spring yet.
Is this normal? Mine is a 70 c10.
Thanks
70c10stepper is offline   Reply With Quote