The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2003, 11:50 PM   #1
68chevytn

wheres the good junkyards in the nashville area?

hey all, i am from the nashville area and im new to the board. i bought a 68 chev swb fleetside with350 and powerglide for 450.00 . i have always wanted one of these trucks and now where are the good junkyards in this area? also what can i take a titl steering colom out of to put in this truck? thanks all

chris
68chevytn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 12:43 AM   #2
SLS
Finish the'71..or bust!

I haven't run across one yet..I've been spending my $$$ with the guys here on the board...Virginia,... Dickson, TN,... Nevada,....one of these days my wife is gonna kill me...I just know it!

Welcome to the board, neighbor!
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 01:01 AM   #3
68chevytn

so there is a junkyard in dickon? what is it called? have good stuff? open on weekends?
68chevytn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 01:20 AM   #4
stateamind
And you call that a what?

68chevytn - Welcome to the board from another TN member. I think SLS was refering to me. No junkyard here, just a guy selling some spare parts.

SLS - you still interested in those fenders? I need to get that truck parted and outta here. Just hard to find the time to get it parted nowadays. Oh yeah, I see you made it to 100 post. Congrats on that. Now you have the pleasure of having your own lil pic under your name. I settled for my baby photo ... lol
stateamind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 01:21 AM   #5
SLS
Finish the'71..or bust!

Wasn't a junkyard, but a friendly board member who had some parts that I needed.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:24 AM   #6
SLS
Finish the'71..or bust!

Wow...you beat me to it! Yep, I was refering to you.

Keep me posted on those fenders.

BTW: I found a bed! Had to go to Virginia to get it...and smoked the Ranger clutch hill climbing..no joke.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:44 AM   #7
stateamind
And you call that a what?

My answer to the tilt question ... Any 67-72 truck tilt will work. Expect to pay some higher $$$ for it though, they don't come cheap. Also, I've read that some year van tilts will work too, with some mods, which sucks considering I junked an 84 van with a perfectly good tilt in it a few years back. This was before I started down the 67-72 truck path, so I guess I can say I didn't know any better. One excuse is just as good as the other, right? lol Anyways, perhaps a more tilt column experienced member will jump in here and help out.

SLS - PM me your name and #. Can't seem to find it. I'll holler at you towards the weekend abt the fenders. I figured you mighta found another bed. Saw your "freebie" post the other day.
stateamind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 08:36 AM   #8
Huck

Early chev van tilts work fine--some require a wiring harness converter from flat connector to halfmoon. They also require a minor modification to accomodate the nutral safety switch which can be done with a dremel. Look for an early 70's van without the column mount key switch.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 10:15 AM   #9
jcalisi

Hello neighbor!

There are a few junk yards around, but they usually are pretty proud of their stuff... If you want a complete list go to http://www.therealyellowpages.com and do a search on junk yards or salvage yards. I have a whole list from that.

The best place to get parts is from board members here and ebay. You have to watch ebay though some people love to screw ya every chance they get. Never had a bad transaction from here though. Good people.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your truck.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:42 AM   #10
cheatham
I need a brake!

Welcome to the board. Seems like a lot of Tennessee guys on here lately. That's pretty cool.

I have been noticing a lot of trucks in front yards lately, but don't have the money to buy another right now. With all the new members I am noticing, I will have to start getting some info when I see them.

I was in a hurry somewhere and drove by a boneyard on Galatin rd just south of Rivergate mall and saw two 67-72s from the road, so that might not be a bad place. I know where a bunch of yards are, but need to just take a day and see if they have any of these trucks.

Also, there is a guy on Nolensville Rd that deals mostly in these trucks. I haven't talked to him in a while, but he usually sells them at a friends lot called Tusculum Motors. His name is James. Good guy, and very knowledgable.

Can a Tennessee board meet be in the near future? Hell, I was going to drive to an Ohio meet if my job didn't screw that up- so why not.

Later
JP
cheatham is offline   Reply With Quote