The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #1
JonnyC10
Account Suspended

What is this Fitting On My 283 Intake?

It appears to be leaking and want to fix it. Also does anyone know where I can put a temp sensor? I don't see a plug on the intake anywhere.

JonnyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
imjeff

Re: What is this Fitting On My 283 Intake?

Looks like water temperature sensor.
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
JonnyC10
Account Suspended

Ahhhh, so that's what Im looking for then... Thought it would have a male spade connector on it. Lol. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:42 PM   #4
kwmech

It's an aftermarket sender. The stock one did not have a screw to hold the wire on. Like you said should be a spade
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
JonnyC10
Account Suspended

Do you have a part number?
Old 12-08-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
JonnyC10
Account Suspended

Wonder if a TS66 would fit?
Old 12-08-2014, 11:03 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: What is this Fitting On My 283 Intake?

Not arguing here but most water senors are on the drivers side head between the 1 and 2 plug. The 283 may have been changed though. I don't know. Yes most factory senors are spade connections. What is it leaking? Looks like oil build up not water are anti freeze.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #8
JonnyC10
Account Suspended

I know my valve covers are leaking but Im going to replace them and get new gaskets. It looks clearish to me. I cant smell so I don't really know. The sensor has some green corrosion near the bottom that's why I assumed it was coming from that.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:23 AM   #9
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyC10 View Post
It appears to be leaking and want to fix it. Also does anyone know where I can put a temp sensor? I don't see a plug on the intake anywhere.

I doubt it's leaking but it's possible. I'd more likely want to explore the hose connection to the thermostat housing and replace the thermostat housing gasket. Looks like an aluminum t-stat housing and it looks old so it might be corroded under the hose. If so, get a new one or maybe even an iron one.

When fixing leaks always start with the one the highest up first.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:32 AM   #10
JonnyC10
Account Suspended

That's a good point. I'll do that. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #11
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

In any event, that is not a location that Chevy used for an oil pressure sender, ever.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:13 AM   #12
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
In any event, that is not a location that Chevy used for an oil pressure sender, ever.
That is 100% correct, in any event, Chevy never put an oil pressure sender in a coolant passage, ever.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:31 AM   #13
mechanicalman

[QUOTE=JonnyC10;6949978]It appears to be leaking and want to fix it. Also does anyone know where I can put a temp sensor? I don't see a plug on the intake anywhere.

Kinda didn't answer the last question.

Andy is correct your coolant sensor or switch (temp gauge or indicator light) usually goes on the head between the #1 and #3 exhaust ports. You can put it right where the one in the picture is if you want to, it will work the same.

If that's an older engine, it might not have a place for a sender on the head. By the looks of the intake, it appears to be made for a sender location as that's how they used to do it.
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/pr...hp?tid/161624/
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...cation.828401/

I'm going to assume that it's a coolant sensor for an aftermarket gauge or maybe just an older sender. If you are going to put a temp gauge or hook up a factory temp gauge I'd take the wire and when the engine is warmed up touch it to the connector and see if you get a satisfactory gauge reading and if so install an eyelet connector and go with it. Hey, if it don't work right, replace it.

I'd do it before I removed it if it proves to be leaking (doubtful). Nothing to lose, just don't cut off your spade connector (if you have one) until you know it's going to work. If it does work, and if it is leaking at the threads, just remove it and put some thread sealer on it.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:36 AM   #14
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: What is this Fitting On My 283 Intake?

I never said it was a oil senor. I only stated it looked like oil that was leaking due to all the oil on the motor! You got to love people that think they know everything! Yet they want read everything.
He even said the valve covers are leaking oil.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:24 AM   #15
JonnyC10
Account Suspended

The motor is supposed to be the original one. I ordered an new water neck and gasket as well as some aluminum finned no hole valve covers. I didn't see a place on the head for a sensor. It does have aftermarket 3 gauge pod and that's what I was hoping to hook up since the temp gauge doesn't work. There is a green wire with a black plastic rectangle end on it laying on the passenger side of the intake. Its too short to reach that sensor on the intake. And its obviously not the correct terminal to connect to that sensor. Heres a pic of the wire. I haven't traced it back yet so I don't even know if it goes to the gauge pod or not. Was just assuming.

Also, it looks like its tied into the harness that has this connector on it as well. Not sure where its supposed to go either. Only gauge that's working on the pod is the oil pressure. The other is amps and water temp.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:04 AM   #16
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I never said it was a oil senor. I only stated it looked like oil that was leaking due to all the oil on the motor! You got to love people that think they know everything! Yet they want read everything.
He even said the valve covers are leaking oil.
Yes he did, and he even said it was clear looking. Not sure where that oil sender thing came from.

But, he was right they never did put an oil sender in a coolant passage LOL I was being a little sarcastic towards him in defense of you.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:30 AM   #17
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyC10 View Post
The motor is supposed to be the original one. I ordered an new water neck and gasket as well as some aluminum finned no hole valve covers. I didn't see a place on the head for a sensor. It does have aftermarket 3 gauge pod and that's what I was hoping to hook up since the temp gauge doesn't work. There is a green wire with a black plastic rectangle end on it laying on the passenger side of the intake. Its too short to reach that sensor on the intake. And its obviously not the correct terminal to connect to that sensor. Heres a pic of the wire. I haven't traced it back yet so I don't even know if it goes to the gauge pod or not. Was just assuming.

Also, it looks like its tied into the harness that has this connector on it as well. Not sure where its supposed to go either. Only gauge that's working on the pod is the oil pressure. The other is amps and water temp.

Actually, that looks like the right wire. Temp senders sometimes run a funny looking round thing and the wire slides on sideways. Here's a picture of one in this link:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sm...rMpxoCjCbw_wcB

With the engine warmed up, and the key on, run a jumper from that wire to what we think is an aftermarket sender then see if the temp gauge moves so you might be sure it's the right wire. If it does move, and if it suits you as far as accuracy, then just extend it with an eyelet connector.

Any chance you could re-route the harness and the wire on the driver's side of the engine and get it to reach? If so, you could buy the cheap new sensor from Summit and keep the original wiring and not chop it up.

If you cannot re-route it,

Check your passenger side cyl head and see if it has a sender or a place for the sender between the #6 and #8 exhaust ports.

Otherwise, if it's the right wire, extend it.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:55 AM   #18
Andy4639
Old member

Red face Re: What is this Fitting On My 283 Intake?

Look at the motor in schematic. Green wire under it. That is the temp senor wire. As stated it is usually on the drivers side of the motor but some one could have changed it. You never know on these old trucks until you trace them out.

mechanicalman,

I apoligize, I thought the remark was directed at me sorry.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 12-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #19
67 chevelle

I have a 67 and 68 c10 both were unmolested when I received them [did not stay that way] both had the temp sender in the same place in the intake from the factory as yours , 67 283,,, 68 307,,, respectively
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #20
JonnyC10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 chevelle View Post
I have a 67 and 68 c10 both were unmolested when I received them [did not stay that way] both had the temp sender in the same place in the intake from the factory as yours , 67 283,,, 68 307,,, respectively
Good to know. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Look at the motor in schematic. Green wire under it. That is the temp senor wire. As stated it is usually on the drivers side of the motor but some one could have changed it. You never know on these old trucks until you trace them out.

mechanicalman,

I apoligize, I thought the remark was directed at me sorry.
That's just what I needed! Thanks!