The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
63N

Steering Column question

I took my steering column out and rebuilt it since the top end was completely totaled. I'm re-assembling it and using the schematic pic provided on this site. My question is though, how do I keep the turn signal housing from stop turning? I don't see anything from keeping it from turning.

[IMG][/IMG]

currently apart!
63N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
beetle1960

Re: Steering Column question

see them little half moon cutouts in the turn signal housing? they go down over little nubs on the column and you turn the housing to lock it in...kinda like a 1157 parking lamp bulb..best way I know to explain it..
1970 Chevy C10 Fleet Long
1972 Chevy C10 Step long
1985 Chevy K10 Fleet Short
beetle1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
63N

that's what I thought. So mine lines up, slips over the half moons, then consistently spins. I take it that my housing is toast?
thanks

currently apart!
Old 12-09-2014, 11:21 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I don't know what you mean by "completely totaled" but if it didn't spin before you took it apart it shouldn't spin now. I would say something isn't together right.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
63N

when I purchased this 1971 chevy truck, the previous owner smacked the front of the truck, which I believe all the weight of the driver was transferred to the steering column. Both upper and lower bushings were shot. Turn signal switch, and horn relay. When I took it apart, I believe it did swivel? not really sure. I added these pic of the inside

Does anything from the inside look severed?

[IMG][/IMG]

Does this hump from the back side line up to the bottom shifter housing? If so, my housing is missing these bumps to line up to.

[IMG][/IMG]

thanks for any help.

currently apart!
Old 12-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
KevsClassics
TILT COLUMN GURU

When you install turn switch that will secure housing in place.

64 Impala SS Conv

72 Blazer 2wd

75 Jimmy 2wd

63 Belair wagon

02 Silverado ext cab. DD

RIP EL JAY
KevsClassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
kda2000

Just did this job last week -- and it was confusing at first, and can be difficult if anything is bent. As has been said earlier, the collar fits over some numbs in the column, and turns clockwise just a small amount (the center of the flasher hole lines up with the seam in the column. It is then held in place by the bearing retainer that fits down over the top of the column tube and has a small recess and matches the opening in the top of the column, which acts as a key. So when its bolted together, the nubs the column keeps the collar from coming off, and the bearing retainer keeps the whole thing from spinning, quite an ingenious design. But if the top of the column is bent in any way (which mine was slightly), it will be hard or impossible to get the bearing retainer to fit into it's recess (and it will still spin). You will want to test fit it to the column without the collar in place first. Get a feel for how it fits into place (and make sure it will). Then you will know when trying to do it with the collar (while fighting with the turn signal wires). In mine, I had to fit the bearing retainer and the turn signal switch together and hold them together while angling both to get the hazard switch in and the wires in place, once its all "inplace" then its time to work and get the bearing retainer to push into its keyed location in the top of the column (about an 1/8 of an inch). Having test fit it a few times you will know what it feels like when it finally slips into place. I found it easier to pop the bearing out of the retainer (easy to do) while trying to get the bearing retainer to fit into its key, and get the screws started then pop the bearing back in place. The bearing in mine popped in and out with my fingers, with a small snap sound. After doing it 4 times before I got it all right (forgot the rubber collar, ....) it gets easier each time.
kda2000 is offline   Reply With Quote