The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
GAc10boy

Power steering with LS motor

I'm doing an LS motor swap into my 71 gmc (originally 6 cylinder, auto truck) and looking to switch from manual to power steering in the process.

For background, the motor is an '02 4.8 and will be running a carb set-up. I'm using the new CPP sheetmetal ls motor mounts.

Any idea the best way to go about this? I looked at CPP and they have a conversion kit but it's $699. Is there a more cost-effective kit or way to do it?

Thanks in advance for the input and advice.

UNITED BY TRUCKS - classic truck video content
YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/unitedbytrucks
Instagram: @united_by_trucks
Paw Paw '68 508 Dark Blue Custom C10
Teddy '68 GMC SWB 503 Light Green LS Build
Mississippi Mud '75 Skyline Blue Patina SBC Build
GAc10boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
67 chevelle

Re: Power steering with LS motor

In my 68 I used a power box from a 78 c10 , and the pump that came with the 08 ly6 6.0 that is under the hood
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
Lees68GMC

FYI, I currently have a 78 C10 power steering box with my 2005 Vortec 5.3 power steering pump. I'm on my second NAPA made up, leaking, dripping power steering hose. I'm going with the following solution SOON. Contact Pat at Benchworks in Scottsdale Arizona. They have done lots of our 67-72 Trucks with Vortec Engines and have The Best set-up all figured out. They have a later 80s Power Steering Gear Box (Best Ratio) that also uses the late model GM Metric 16 MM o ring (2006 Vortec V8 pump) to 12 MM O ring (steering box) pressure line and the new generation rag joint required. They can UPS you all that stuff at way better prices and in my experiences with them, probably better quality than what you've been talking about here

Bottom line if you ever need a replacement power steering pressure hose in the future, walk into any auto-parts store and get an OEM replacement, no jury-rigging multiple hoses and fittings that can leak.

Just a thought
"No matter what happens, nobody gets out alive"

Last edited by Lees68GMC; 12-11-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Lees68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
MARKDTN

Not exactly sure what the question is. You would do a power steering swap with the gear and linkage just as if it had a 350 (or whatever). You would use the LS power steering pump and reservoir. Run a return line from the gear to the reservoir. If the return hose is not long enough, add on with a nipple or replace the hose part with a longer one from a hydraulic shop. On the pressure hose you can buy custom ones, but the easiest way is to add a JIC fitting in the middle and splice together there. Take the original hose and route towards the pump; then the hose from the pump towards the gear. Cut both in the middle where they intersect. Have a JIC (or sometimes called a "bullnose") fitting installed in both-male in 1 and female in the other. Connect and cover with loom and you are set. JIC fittings are available for all common hose sizes. This also gives you the ability to turn the hose how you like it before connecting in the middle so you don't have to be exact as when you made one.

Just curious-why carb an LS? The cost of carb vs: computer is not that much savings and you still have to run an electric fuel pump.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
GAc10boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 chevelle View Post
In my 68 I used a power box from a 78 c10 , and the pump that came with the 08 ly6 6.0 that is under the hood
Thanks much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees68GMC View Post
FYI, I currently have a 78 C10 power steering box with my 2005 Vortec 5.3 power steering pump. I'm on my second NAPA made up, leaking, dripping power steering hose. I'm going with the following solution SOON. Contact Pat at Benchworks in Scottsdale Arizona. They have done lots of our 67-72 Trucks with Vortec Engines and have The Best set-up all figured out. They have a later 80s Power Steering Gear Box (Best Ratio) that also uses the late model GM Metric 16 MM o ring (2006 Vortec V8 pump) to 12 MM O ring (steering box) pressure line and the new generation rag joint required. They can UPS you all that stuff at way better prices and in my experiences with them, probably better quality than what you've been talking about here

Bottom line if you ever need a replacement power steering pressure hose in the future, walk into any auto-parts store and get an OEM replacement, no jury-rigging multiple hoses and fittings that can leak.

Just a thought
Very helpful info. I may be giving them a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
Not exactly sure what the question is. You would do a power steering swap with the gear and linkage just as if it had a 350 (or whatever). You would use the LS power steering pump and reservoir. Run a return line from the gear to the reservoir. If the return hose is not long enough, add on with a nipple or replace the hose part with a longer one from a hydraulic shop. On the pressure hose you can buy custom ones, but the easiest way is to add a JIC fitting in the middle and splice together there. Take the original hose and route towards the pump; then the hose from the pump towards the gear. Cut both in the middle where they intersect. Have a JIC (or sometimes called a "bullnose") fitting installed in both-male in 1 and female in the other. Connect and cover with loom and you are set. JIC fittings are available for all common hose sizes. This also gives you the ability to turn the hose how you like it before connecting in the middle so you don't have to be exact as when you made one.

Just curious-why carb an LS? The cost of carb vs: computer is not that much savings and you still have to run an electric fuel pump.
Thanks for the detailed instructions. This is my first foray into this swap and even though I've got some help from someone much more knowledgeable than me on these topics, I still like to get a base understanding.

And I'm going carb bc I got a good deal on a motor with some of the carb set-up already, didn't want to fool with wiring, and i like the look of it. I feel it keeps a little bit of the old school feel under the hood. I'm planning to cover the coils some sort of valve cover set-up.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:59 AM   #6
joeydurango

In my 72 K10 (factory p/s with an LM7 swap), I simply ran the pump that came with the LS engine, a new-but-same as original RedHead steering box, and some NAPA-made lines between the two. 5000 miles on it so far and no leakage issues...
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:15 PM   #7
GAc10boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydurango View Post
In my 72 K10 (factory p/s with an LM7 swap), I simply ran the pump that came with the LS engine, a new-but-same as original RedHead steering box, and some NAPA-made lines between the two. 5000 miles on it so far and no leakage issues...
Very helpful. Thanks!

Old 12-14-2014, 02:37 AM   #8
eagleuh1

In my 68 with 5.3, I ran the stock power steering box with stock hoses, and the stock 5.3 power steering pump. It required an adapter to adapt the 68 hose to the 2005 5.3 pump, which I got at NAPA. Can buy hoses at any parts store. In my opinion, cheapest way to go. You might not like the feel of it, because it's way easy steering. You can also change out the pressure valve fitting in the pump to the 68 fitting, which will make the steering less "power". Good luck, you'll love your LS powered truck. Jim
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:57 AM   #9
eagleuh1

Look here
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=551559
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote