The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
Too Slow '90

Sitting Too Long?

I have a '60, 3 speed, 235 with no options that has been sitting (engine and trans out) for about nine years. I am working on getting it back on the road and wondered how much work it will take to refresh the brake system. Everything has been open(master out) the whole time. At some point down the road I would like to upgrade to power disc brakes, power steering etc. My question is does it make sense to spend the money refreshing the drum system (don't know what it would cost anyway) or go ahead and make the switch to disc? I am trying not to get ahead of myself and want to get it on the road to see what works etc... however I don't want to throw money away on the drum system either. Looking for input. Thanks.
Too Slow '90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
ls60apache

Re: Sitting Too Long?

hello if it were me I would invest in the disc setup. if the truck was up and running [I see its not] and you wanted to get going quickly then do the drums
ls60apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
Too Slow '90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls60apache View Post
hello if it were me I would invest in the disc setup. if the truck was up and running [I see its not] and you wanted to get going quickly then do the drums
I was thinking that also however it's a bit confusing on what works for a '60. I have read about the crossmember change out to a later model but I have also read that it's not necessary. I have to do a little more research and see what works best and what will work with a power steering conversion too. Thanks for the input.
Too Slow '90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
ls60apache

cpp has a kit for 60-62. I believe you can get their stuff from summit also quicker.i did the crossmember swap myself not only to get updated suspension parts,but to make room by getting rid of the Tbar crossmember for my 6.0 4l80e swap. those tbars make for a better ride tho imo.
ls60apache is offline   Reply With Quote