The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2014, 11:40 PM   #1
'84 Scottsdale

Just Picked Up another Square

I have a 1984 Scottsdale and now I just purchased a 1986 Silverado. It has been primed white. So far I replaced drivers dented fender, window motor, got it running. It came with a set of boss 338 rims.
Attached Images

'84 Scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:49 PM   #2
'84 Scottsdale

Re: Just Picked Up another Square

i have not posted in a long time but I am always looking. Here is a pic of my '84 Scottsdale and my '70 c10. All of them are projects thanks to CA SMOG.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2014, 12:07 AM   #3
ridingreiss16

Sweet projects!
ridingreiss16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:28 AM   #4
Gregski
Post Whore

beauties, all of 'em, and yes the Golden State ain't so golden!
Gregski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:55 AM   #5
cfan10

Loving them all!
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:20 AM   #6
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

Here's to hoping you can work around that smog BS!
Oregoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:32 AM   #7
OldGMJon

Talking Re: Just Picked Up another Square

On the coast in Nor Cal, if it passes smog when you first register it...then you're done...you don't have to smog it again. Luckily I got my 84' C20 Silverado with a 454 auto cheap from someone who was afraid it wouldn't pass, no one here on the coast will work on an old carbureted engine for smog and try and scare you out of trying, its like a nightmare and parts are hard to find but a buddy of mine is a wiz at tuning them to smog and it did first try...here is a pic...56K original miles, bed is like new always having had a carpet kit in it and a camper shell with the rest mostly original.
Attached Images

OldGMJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

Looks like fun!

I've dealt with some smog-nightmares here in Portland. Anything '75 to '96 gets a sniff test--tailpipe emissions--every two years. '96 and up gets plugged in an checked out, too.

I had a gorgeous '75 Cherokee, with a 258 inliner, and it ran perfectly. I bought it out on the Idaho Border, where there's no emissions testing and very little rust. The truck only had 60K on it, and after I did a carb-rebuild and a tune-up, it passed the tailpipe test with no troubles at all. It ran so well...

However, it lacked a Cat, which it never had from the factory, and so they failed me.

After some hassling and a bunch of phone-calls, I welded one up and it changed how my engine ran just enough to fail me.

I ended up converting the ignition to a Ford Duraspark with a Chevy HEI, changing out my carb jet, and running the truck super-lean, just to pass a silly test. Upon passing, I pulled the cat, put my fat jet back in the carb, and stashed the stuff in the shop so I could use it again in two years...

Lesson learned: I only buy '74 and earlier projects (unless they're diesel, which doesn't get a sniff test). I understand why we have emissions testing, but at least here in Portland, it's a hoop to be jumped through, and little else.

Last edited by Oregoon; 12-14-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Oregoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #9
lilpoindexter

I've had good luck passing smog just by replacing cracked up vacuum lines, and making sure the engine is in a decent state of tune (filters, plugs, oil change).
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #10
OldGMJon

Wink Re: Just Picked Up another Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpoindexter View Post
I've had good luck passing smog just by replacing cracked up vacuum lines, and making sure the engine is in a decent state of tune (filters, plugs, oil change).
That's why the PO on my 84' didn't try to smog it since all the vacuum lines were blocked off. Luckily everything was cool and it passed but yes hold onto all the stuff that will make it smog just in case.
My truck doesn't have a catalytic converter either but it passed none the less.
OldGMJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:23 AM   #11
'84 Scottsdale

Thank You. Yes I am the same way up in Northern CA ones it passes I dont have to worry about it anymore. Everything is there as far as the equipment but I just hate trying to mess with the carbs (Rochester's) they are hard to try an tone.

Hopefully when I try and get the white one smogged then I dont have any issues.

The only thing is that when I turn the ignition on there is no check engine light on it. I dont know if that is how they came or were it is located. I know that on my red one its on the actual dash bezel but this one does not have one there.

I will take it an see what they say. I really want to start and drive one of them at least. I might have to wait till summer since it has started snowing were I am at.