The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #1
496 BB

Suspension/Chassis help....K20

Ok so its been a long while since Ive done a lift in a square but have done so in a 79 K20 I had years ago...6" all springs. I went with Rough Country then with their shocks and it was exactly that. ROUGH.

Now I got this 85 K20 and have had it for a few years now. Its got what appears to be a sunken 4" spring up front and 4" block in the back with 3" body lift. It looks nowhere near 7" with these 31" tires on it but we about to change that this coming spring.

I plow with this truck. Its not a dd by any means (Have other trucks for that) but is clean. I want to start from the frame up and make it the ultimate rust proof truck. I want a nice clean line truck. Not looking for show quality but more function than anything. Dont worry about the plow aspect either as I have room to move down on the bracket to get a frame within specs. I will also change out to smaller 31" tires for winter to help align.

My questions are as follows:

1) The frame is now painted and in good shape but has surface rust. I will have it blasted. What can I do to make it never rust again. Can I Rhino line or something like that to it? Ive used Por15 before and think it sucks.

2) Where is a good place to get lift kits now? I want 6" not including the body lift. I got mine before at Rockymountain or something. I would like something softer but realize soft and leaf springs is an oxymoron. The older I get I want plusher rides. Maybe more shocks? Whats this shackle lift Im seeing???

Any help is appreciated.

Chris
Dana 44 and 14 bolt FF
7.6' Western Plow

2001 Silverado LT HD 4x4
496ci (8.1L)
Allison
EFI Live
And more.....
496 BB is offline   Reply With Quote