The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
davepl

Haven't touched my truck in a month...

I've never done a full frame-off before. Ironically a lot of them wind up in boxes and baskets, but I made it all the way through to the almost end. Here's what I know I have left:

a) Fix driver's seat (upholsterer didn't use the cinch-down wires or rods, whatever they're called on buckets). Already did the passenger side.
b) Install my tilt column
c) Wire up the speed warning buzzer and reinstall the gauge clutster (again! should have put luggage latches instead of screws on it)
d) Disconnect, cut, flare, and put a union in the under-cab fuel line so I have metal line over the exhaust instead of the rubber flex section that's there now (and will stay but not over the exhaust). Kind of putting this one off, I hate gasoline. May move this to the "someone else do it" column.
e) Align headlights.

Then there's a couple of things I can't do:

a) Wheel alignment
b) First charge of AC

And I think that's it. But for some reason I just can't muster the time or interest to get out there and do it. It's not that I'm slacking, I've been rewiring network and AV stuff for all that time. But it sure seems like I'm avoiding it.

Can't be the first person to hit that wall, though maybe the first so close to the exit door! Other than the obvious "just pick something and start", which hasn't happened yet, I dunno what it is or how to get started!

Not just complainin' actually asking.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Re: Haven't touched my truck in a month...

I've found in my time working on these trucks that my motivation comes and goes. I'll have a kickin spring/summer then as the days get shorter I use the daylight I have for other things, Normally hunting. My 3100 is very close to being completely done and has been for 6 months. (Been building it ~8years) Just havnt gotten around to finishing it up. Moral of my rambling is at least for me it's normal. The best way I motivate my self is looking at completed trucks and reading threads on here.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:23 PM   #3
slowcpe

I feel ya on the network and a/v wiring as that's what I do for a living. My truck build is the getaway from all that.

Good thing is you have a few months until spring to get motivated. I get like that on my truck. I will work on it for a while and then it will sit for a month until I find the time to get around to it. Keeps you from getting frustrated and burnt out.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:44 AM   #4
68 Stepper

Davepl, I bought my truck in Redmond Wa! Now I know this time of year you get a little extra grey weather and rain over there that always slowed me down, did not realized it until after moving away.

Now get out there and get that tilt in, that's next up on my truck! Hoping to have mine installed by mid January, the traveling over the holidays seem to slow me down.
68 Stepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:59 AM   #5
swamp rat

Eh.... I hate december... I never get anything done. I think its daylight wasting time that does it..

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #6
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

Mines been sitting for weeks and it drives..Did find a couple of notes on it asking if I want to sell/
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #7
FirstOwner69

Very interesting. I thought I was the only one.

I've done what I would consider three truly major projects in my life. They each took about three years to "complete". All three have at least one item remaining. I call it the almost done syndrome.

First was a complete rebuild and restoration of a vacation home on a northern Wisconsin lake in the late 70s. I have never put a handrail on the stairway between the main and lower levels. I think about it every time use the stairs...multiple times a day. It would only take less than a day to do.

Second was in the mid to late 80s when I did a frame off NCRS restoration on my 58 Vette. The car has both hard and soft tops, but NCRS only required one for judging. So, I only did the soft top and went through the judging process for the Bloomington Gold and NCRS Duntov. I had disassembled the hard top, and it is still in the basement like that. The axle has also leaked slightly since the restoration, but I was able to make it disappear when judged.

Third was the frame off on my 69 truck started in 2010 and "finished" in 2013. I was very fortunate that everything worked properly the first time. Well, almost everything. Everything but the gas gauge which hadn't worked since about 1998 (just a guess since I had stored the truck for at least 20 years and only started, but not driven it more that 10 feet, each year). I repaired a bare spot on the wire from the sending unit, converted from idiot lights to gauges, reconfigured several sets of gauges and figured I was good to go. Hmm, bad guess on my part. I ordered a new sending unit, tore out my buckets and console and installed the sending unit. Worked great for half a tank then another failure. Can't muster the ambition to tear into it again.

Maybe there's a fear of not having a major project to work on. Maybe we just want to get to the light at the end of the tunnel.

Jim

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 12-17-2014 at 05:22 PM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote