The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
mrkidd

swapped spindle rims dont fit anymore???

i have a front off a 72 c10 " i think , well seller told me i swapped my spindle for lowering spindle and now my 15 inch rims are hitting the spindle mount for the caliper...im thinking they sent me a c10 spindle for another year, what year does the c10 have to go larger then 15 inch rim..?
mrkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
gsipes121704

Re: swapped spindle rims dont fit anymore???

To answer your question GM went to larger wheels on their half ton trucks in 1999. I have a 72 GMC that I am working on and have not had an issue with it as yet, but have not installed the calipers. My spindles are 2.5 " drop and from Mc Gauphy and I also bought their 12" rotor/caliper kit. My Uncle lowers all his trucks and on occasion does have an issue with the wheels hitting the lower control arm if he uses the stock wheels. On my truck I will be going to at least 16" wheels.
gsipes121704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
michael bustamante

Can you post a pic of the rim hitting the spindle? Any issues mounting the drop spidle like ball joints or anything? Did you buy the spindles new and who from?
Old 12-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
gsipes121704

As I said no issues with rim hitting spindle. What is the offset of your current wheels? Are they deep dish? How wide are they?
gsipes121704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
cleanfreak

What rims are you running. I have had some issues with older aluminum mags , just a little clean up on the spindle fixed it.
cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:17 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

You left out important information. what year is your truck and what wheels do you have? Ok, we can assume the truck is a 67-70 because you had drum brakes, right? Now, I'm going to assume you had the stock wheels on it. Am I right? If I am, then the problem is you need the wheels that went with the spindles. In '71 when the disc brakes went on, the wheels changed to accommodate the discs. The pre-71 wheels had 3 nubs for the hubcaps and the way to identify wheels from '71-up have is they have 4 nubs. Custom wheels fit both

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:09 AM   #7
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
You left out important information. what year is your truck and what wheels do you have? Ok, we can assume the truck is a 67-70 because you had drum brakes, right? Now, I'm going to assume you had the stock wheels on it. Am I right? If I am, then the problem is you need the wheels that went with the spindles. In '71 when the disc brakes went on, the wheels changed to accommodate the discs. The pre-71 wheels had 3 nubs for the hubcaps and the way to identify wheels from '71-up have is they have 4 nubs. Custom wheels fit both
Special K ... my reply is
Attached Images

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #8
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Sounds like you had the 72 front end, then swapped drop spindles onto the truck? If so, the wheels should still work if they did before. What year were the spindles for? The earlier spindles use a different ball joint and if the ball joint and spindle tapers don't match they will not seat fully and could cause some clearance issues. Did the nuts on the ball joints go all they way on and allow the cotter pins to fit thru the castle nuts? There are also different wheel designs as stated by special K. Some are designed to fit over the caliper and others have part of the rim that interferes. Like stated above, post some pics of what's hitting and where and you'll get the "FIX".
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote