The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
chevyhed53

radiator question

I need to replace the radiator in my '56 as the fan mounting, with those plastic pieces, creates a leak. Previous owner rigged the setup in the photo. The piece on top of the radiator shell is obviously fabbed, but the top piece seems to be from some other factory setup, though not a truck, at least that I can find in any catalog. Anyone recognize that top piece so that I can get the right sized radiator? Other option, of course, would be to fit stock size radiator and take the fabbed pieces off. Any advice appreciated. Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Attached Images

chevyhed53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: radiator question

1. tolhat isn't the correct 56 Radiator as it is a crossflow that someone installed in the past and the panel above it most likely came off the donor rig that the radiator came off.

There isn't anything wrong with a cross flow if the installation was done correctly and either a replacement or repairs to that radiator would most likely be less expensive than putting a stock 56 style radiator back in.

It looks like there is plenty of room to run a regular fan on that truck but if you are bent on running the electric unit I would highly suggest fabbing some bars that would mount to the radiator support and hold the fan so it was not in contact with the radiator or the ties didn't have to be run through the core like they had it. This is maybe where one of the folks running an electric fan can show he/she mounted it without using those holders.

This is just someone's add for an S-10 replacement radiator I snagged off the net right now but I snagged it as it shows the way you need to measure your radiator to figure out the size you need to replace it. http://jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_S10-V8-Radiator.html

I'd think once you measured that radiator for length of the core, width and height you wouldn't have any problem finding a replacement or even one that was a step up cooling wise.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 12-24-2014 at 06:37 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:51 PM   #3
chevyhed53

Thanks so much for the response. I've already had the radiator repaired once ($100 and he repainted it too, so I can't complain), but I think I do need to move to a smarter setup. I ordered a universal fan bracket set from LMC, and discovered it won't work on what I have now. It should work if I get a stock-size unit and attach it properly to the support. I like having an electric fan (I'm in FL, and even on the hottest days the thermostat keeps it at 180 degrees), and I think I'l keep it and attach it without those miserable little straps that work holes in the core!
Thanks again, and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2014, 12:56 AM   #4
mr48chev

Now you come to the "will this be strong enough and look like it belongs there" point when designing the new supports for the fan.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
chevyhed53

Yes indeed. Hoping the LMC units can be adapted to the task without too much alteration.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
roger55

I bought an American Eagle (same mfgr as Champion) for my '57.
Ledfoot racing makes a shroud for these but I had mine made by a local guy.

roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
chevyhed53

That is really a nice, clean setup. What are the dimensions of the radiator?
Old 12-25-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyhed53 View Post
That is really a nice, clean setup. What are the dimensions of the radiator?
Here's the details:

http://www.championradiators.com/Ame...d-v8-1955-1959

I wouldn't buy a fan from them. They only carry cheaper off-shore ones. Get a Maradyne or Spal. I put a 16" Maradyne on mine.

I haven't run mine on the road yet but I have run it in the driveway in hot weather. It was a warm summer day when I charged the A/C and the engine runs cool.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
AZ59apacheguy

Hi. I know you said you would like to stay with an electric fan. I live in AZ where 100F in the summer is a cooler day. I bought a Champion Radiator on eBay and a Fan Shroud to match from LMC. Runs cool, looks stock and never have to worry about the electric thermostat or fan giving out.

AZ59apacheguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #10
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ59apacheguy View Post
Hi. I know you said you would like to stay with an electric fan. I live in AZ where 100F in the summer is a cooler day. I bought a Champion Radiator on eBay and a Fan Shroud to match from LMC. Runs cool, looks stock and never have to worry about the electric thermostat or fan giving out.
Nice looking setup!

Your statement about the worry with the electrics is great point and almost guaranteed when using cheap parts. This is why I will only use the best stuff and do my wiring meticulously.

I will only use Spal or Maradyne for electric fans and NEVER mount them directly to the radiator core. Only to a shroud. I would never use a pusher type fan either. I don't want ANYTHING mounted in front of a radiator core except for an A/C condenser.

I also only use factory type electric temperature switches that mount in the engine block.
For relays, I use weather sealed units made by Hella that I get from Waytekwire.com.

Fuses are another thing that will kill the reliability of a system if you go cheap. The local auto parts stores are not going to carry anything that will be reliable.
I also use Waytekwire.com for that. I use MIDI/AMI fuses/holders that they carry.
I also use non-insulated terminals, crimp/solder the connections and cover them with adhesive-lined heat shrink tubing.

No worries when doing it all this way.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #11
chevyhed53

Thanks for the info. When you're idling in traffic on one of those hot summer days, does it stay cool?
Old 12-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #12
AZ59apacheguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyhed53 View Post
Thanks for the info. When you're idling in traffic on one of those hot summer days, does it stay cool?
Hi. Yes it stays cool and have had NO issues when sitting in traffic. I forgot to mention I installed a Heavy Duty clutch fan.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #13
AZ59apacheguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post
Nice looking setup!
Thanks!
Old 12-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
AZ59apacheguy

roger55. May I also say that you have a very nice setup as well!