The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2014, 12:22 AM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Suburbans

My friend does business on the side with a few people in Europe who want American trucks mostly, but also lots of low cost engines. He acquired a 79 Burb for one of the guys who now has no use for it, and it is paid for at least on his end. It was for a guy who no longer wants it, and its already been paid for with a down payment of some sort. At least as it is right now. It may eventually go when a buyer is ready, but now it is in storage.

So he was trying to get me to trade for my K20. Which has more value to my friend.

While I have never been a SUV guy I kind of always wanted a lowered one, and now with a dog she can ride in back safely. I have thought of a 2wd Blazer or a converted Bronco, but the rear seating is not enough for future personal growth. I am divorced with 1 kid, but I want to remarry. Which means more kids one way or another. Nor for my Mom, and Aunt who are in there 70's.

So what have been some of your experiences going from a truck to a Burb?
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

Re: Suburbans

Fuel economy is lousy, though the utility is beyond compare. From a family perspective, it's totally worth the extra coin. You take everything you want to bring, everyone you want to bring, and off you go. It's pretty hard to overpack one.

Some parts are a bit hard to find depending where you are (mostly body stuff), though most things are the same as a C/K truck. They're a blast to drive, and you get a lot of attention, and you did say you want to get remarried... As I said, they're very roomy...

Last edited by Oregoon; 12-25-2014 at 12:42 AM.
Oregoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:22 AM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

Are they reasonable to haul plywood in the back of say a couple miles or so?
Old 12-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
tucsonjwt

Seat removal is usually possible to haul plywood, as I recall, but not as easy as the newer ones. Some install a 4BT diesel to improve fuel economy, but it can be very costly if you don't do all of the work yourself.

If a sub is your goal, you will be better off with a late model Suburban or Tahoe. I bought a new Tahoe or Yukon every 6 months starting with the 2000 model year. I got 16-17 mpg city and close to 20 mpg on the highway. I do drive like grandma on the way to church. I would sell your truck outright after finding a suitable late model SUV. I drove a 4WD Suburban (2004) for two weeks while my Tahoe was at the dealer for warranty repairs - got 17 mpg city.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

We had burbs before and we've adjusted to Jimmys now.
Yes you can use em, we moved a house with ours.lol
with the top off the 79-C5 we moved everything.
3 bolts the rear seat is out.
When we tell people they seem surprised,most expect you to rent a cube van.
and with a burb ,dressers,washer/dryer/fridge/patio door/engine lift, anything tall won't fit
must say the soft-top option is a huge plus in the summer
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

I have been in the gmt400 Burbs, but prefer the open feel of the square body model. When I get to that point I will do better research.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #7
RDrancher

I have a crewcab Cummins flatbed for work and the wife has a crewcab 4x4 Super Duty. We have three varmints under the age of 12 and while she had room for the kids, at times hauling anything else without tying things down was a pain.

I picked up an '85 Burb and we both absolutely love it! Since I bought it, my truck stays hooked up to my equipment trailer and my wife's truck hooked up to her horse trailer. We use the Burb for everything else. It has plenty of room for all the kids and protected cargo too. We take it to our local 1/8 mile drag strip, fold down the seats and it's a great play area for the little ones while we watch from the tailgate. In a month or so I'll have time to lower it. The Burb's a blast.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:34 PM   #8
SilverMiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
Are they reasonable to haul plywood in the back of say a couple miles or so?
You didn't mention whether or not the 79 is a 1/2 or 3/4 ton, but either way a Suburban will haul every bit as much as a comparably equipped pickup. With the third row seat removed (very easy to do in a 79 which was the first year for the fold & tumble seat) and the 2nd row seats folded down, a Burb will hold as many sheets of 4x8 plywood as you care to load in there with room to spare. A complete pallet of plywood is too tall to clear the roof, but that's the only difference I can think of between a pickup and a suburban.

With all the seats either removed (3rd row) or folded down (2nd row) the space behind a suburban's front bench seats is functionally identical to a pickup. For more info, the Slosh Brochure's site is a invaluable resource for original GM dealer info here: http://brochures.slosh.com Additionally you can check out the GM Heritage Center and download a PDF Vehicle Information Kit of all the specs and interior dimensions for a 1979 Suburban here: https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-...tion-kits.html

Since you already have a K20, you're already familiar with the fuel requirements for these old rigs. It has been my experience over the decades that there is no consistent difference between fuel consumption between pickups, blazers, or suburbans with equivalent engines. They are all lucky to break double digits when in a good state of tune, and it's downhill from there. The biggest difference I've noted is that a K20 Burb seems to have a more comfortable ride that a K20 pickup, but that's a pretty subjective observation.

Good luck, and in my opinion if you are trading a K20 for a Burb you're getting the better end of the deal if everything else about the rigs are comparable. EDITED TO ADD - we need pictures of both rigs!
Old 12-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #9
Ziegelsteinfaust

I don't want to trade any time soon, but the K20 is a 2-3 year truck for me. As my life moves on I need to get some that seats more people then my K20. A burb seems like it could be lots of fun for road trips.

I wouldn't get a 4x4 burb as I would want/need land yacht comfort. So I would be willing to search for mpg with a later model engine swap of some kind.

Don't see myself buying a small car since I have a work van for DD. I just would like 20 hwy like the newer ones can do on flat roads. So it should be a easy build from that point. Just don't go stupid on engine choices, and concentrate on torque. Spend money on a good od trans.

I don't see many it any at all pre smog burbs so I was looking at a TBI model for future swap,and they have the look I prefer.

Either way my K20 gets 13-14 hwy running 70, and then to much work to drop in a od trans. Which likely wouldn't do much with the at tires I have. My friend 07 F150 gets 15 with gets similar tires in a lighter duty 2wd truck. So if I can get close to 20 hwy with street tires I would be hap hap happy.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #10
Ziegelsteinfaust

Is there any break down on burb rear doors?

I see both the the barn door,and tail gate type. Were they options during the same periods.