The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #1
bloody hammer

Front Brake Anchor Pin Washer

I'm about to put new brakes on the front of my '62 Stepside and I'm unsure about something. The anchor pin bolts directly into the spindle assembly. it doesn't come all the way through (no nut on the back) so the washer is bent in order to "lock" the pin down.

My question is... is this a special washer that is pre-crimped or do I just use a regular fender washer and fold the washer over with a hammer?

bloody hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:55 AM   #2
64shortbox

Re: Front Brake Anchor Pin Washer

No, it's NOT pre-crimped at the factory. Either get a new washer and crimp it over the flat on your anchor pin or reuse your existing washer and crimp it over in a different location.
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
bloody hammer

Thanks! I just hadn't ever since this "technology" before and didn't want to screw something up and have my front brakes come flying off.

There's plenty of good metal left on the washers. Now that I know they are there I will know to unfold the bends BEFORE getting after it with the impact wrench. That's what chewed up the one in the photo so bad. The socket fit right over the washer like it wasn't even there. Took me a minute or two to figure why the socket was just spinning round.
bloody hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:48 PM   #4
AcampoDave

Admittedly, this is a side note to the subject of this thread but...look those pins over good. I used to run a '61 and twice I had those s.o.b's snap off in front. That causes the wheel cylinder to go 'pop' resulting in loss of brakes with a single resivoir master. On the first occasion I hit a rural mailbox to stop, and on the second I was in a fast food parking lot and my decrepit e-brake brought me to a halt. I went disc after that. Once is a fluke, twice...I dunno maybe I was too lazy about adjusting my brake shoes which was causing the springs to over extend or something, but that was enough.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote