The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #1
standnnawe

Power steering issues/upgrade?

Hey all...

Hoping someone can help me with what's likely a pretty basic question. I was having issues with a leaky power steering system, so I replaced the pressure hose and pump, proceeded to bleed the system (wheels off the ground). I seemed to develop a leak but couldn't trace it down right away...it appeared to be coming from the pump near a mounting hole. So I replaced the pump again thinking it was a defective seal on the reservoir. Much to my chagrin, after mounting the new pump...same issue. I replaced the pressure hose, checked the supply hose fittings...all seemed good so I bled the system good.

After driving it and letting it sit, I see a leak again. I finally figured out it's coming out the cap after pressure is built up, so I bled the system again. Several weeks now and bottles of power steering fluid later, I can't seem to bleed it completely and it keeps bubbling out of the cap. I've watched the level in the reservoir while having a helper turn the wheel lock to lock...it seems like turning left takes the level down but turn wheel to right lock and the level comes up and out the cap. That doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me. Is it a steering box problem? I don't seem to have any play in the steering wheel.

I really need to put springs on (4" suspension lift when I do), so should I be investing in a different steering setup? Ideas or suggestions?
standnnawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
SeventyOne

Re: Power steering issues/upgrade?

the reservoir rises when turning the wheel to the right? Sounds like something is wrong with your gear box...like it's plugged or something when you go to the right.

Is it any harder to turn right than left?

If you're going to lift the truck, you could go with a 2WD steering box and do a crossover steering setup. It's a better design, will steer really well with the lift, and if you're going to replace the box anyways....
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:19 AM   #3
standnnawe

Thanks for the quick reply. As long as there's fluid in the reservoir, it actually steers really well. Is there anything I can do to the gearbox to loosen things up and free up anything that might be stuck? I got a price on a redhead steering box today, but I figure if the crossover setup is that much better, it'd be a good time to look into all the options.
standnnawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #4
SeventyOne

There's an alan wrench fitting on the top of the steering box - I know it adjusts something but without researching it I don't know what it would do or that it would fix your situation. Might be something good for you to look into.

I have a redhead box on my project truck - looks nice. Haven't used it yet.
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #5
GMC-YA68

Call this guy.... http://www.powersteering.com/

'72 Jimmy 4x4 - 5.3/4L65E/NP205 swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663780
GMC-YA68 is offline   Reply With Quote