The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2003, 04:40 PM   #1
jewels.

has your mom ever cost you $150 in truck parts?

ok, i know i'm a woman, but i have just about had it with those women out there who refuse to take responsibility for what they do. i know that most of the women on this board are pretty savvy, so i aint talkin about you! but my mom has NO CLUE!

here's the story:

my extended family had a big rummage sale last weekend. it was four families --- my brother's family, my aunt & uncle, my mom & dad, and of course my family (which includes all one of me!). i took a couple of extra days off to help setup and run the thing. i included some truck parts - extra parts i had lying around, and didnt need.

i didnt mark the parts with any prices because i suspected there would be very little interest in old dingy truck parts from the "little rummage sale ladies." instead, i marked the box, "Make Offers", and told my mom that i would hang out and 'dicker' with anyone who was interested in them.

well, i took off for lunch on saturday, but made sure to take my cell phone with me in case my mom needed my help. i called back several times to make sure she didn't need any help --- and she kept reassuring me that she and my sister-in-law were doing just fine without me, and that i could just relax and take a break.

well, i got back from lunch, (about 1.5 hrs long), and found out she sold the entire ENTIRE HUGE BOX OF PARTS for $12.00. I about screamed! there was a power steering pump setup (all the parts and accessories) in there, there were some nearly mint aftermarket chrome taillights, there were a LOT of other parts and stuff for our trucks, all kinds of things worth money.

AND SHE SOLD THE WHOLE BOX FOR $12, and tried to convince me that she did a great job dickering!

i got really really really mad at her, and asked her where she got off selling things that didnt belong to her. i also gave her hell for thinking she knew what those parts were worth. i cannot recall all the things that were in the box, but if i add up only the things i CAN recall, i get more than $150! man - i am pissed.

she offered to give me $150 to make up for the mistake, but then dad got pissed because he is the one who makes the money in the family, and he didnt feel it was her place to offer me money that wasnt 'hers'. he also told her that it would fix the problem either. bottomline, i am really really sick of women who dont take responsibility. my mom still thinks it was no big deal that she nearly gave away that box of parts.

oh well. i have ranted now. thanks for listening. i'm out $150, and i dont feel right taking that money from my parents, so i guess i have to suck it up and live on.

until l8r...
jewels.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:16 PM   #2
cdowns

first off you're not out $150 if you wanted $150 you should have marked them $150 , and if you were really anxious to get top dollar you should have been there to get it yourself not dump them off on your mother to deal with !!!!! KIDS !!!!!!!
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 05:18 PM   #3
tom hand
CCRider

Would you like some cheeze with that whine? I sorry your out a power steering pump...sit down and think real hard about all the things your parents had to give up to raise you and I'll bet the total is WAY more than $150 bucks. Go say your sorry to your mother right now, and go to your room...with no dinner
Old 08-21-2003, 05:22 PM   #4
Chevyguy111786

If i read it right, she didn't DUMP them on her Mom. She went out for lunch. And as for price. she put make offer and told her mom that if anyone was interested...to tell them to ask HER for them and not her mother. so before you start jumpin all over people, make sure you understand what the story is. !!!! OLD PEOPLE !!!!
Chevyguy111786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 05:24 PM   #5
Linus0014

She needs a spanking too...... Can I help??? j/k I can see both views on this, but when it comes down to it, your loss is your fault.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:25 PM   #6
jewels.

yes, you are right, i sound like a whiny kid, but i truely am not whining. even my dad backs me up here because he was with me over lunch. i was concerned about leaving the sale because i had stuff that was not marked and it was sitting there. and dad kept tell me that she wouldnt touch any of it, and that i should worry about it.

then she went and sold it even after we told her not to unless she called me on the cell, and she went and did it anyway.

as for the $150, yeah - its only my estimate of the money, and its only what i could have gotten out of the parts, but there was much more than that in there. i didnt know whether to sell them separate or together or what, and i didnt think anyone would even ask about the box.

yes - i respect my parents. and usually i never ever would go against them or what they do, but EVERYONE, including me, my brother, his wife, my aunt, my uncle AND my dad wanted to know why she gave the box away when it wasnt hers.

i'm not gonna take the money from her. she is my mom. but sometimes, she needs to apologize for what she does, and she needs to respect other people's stuff, whether i am her child or not.

and i am not just some kid ranting. i am a 27 year old engineer, with lots of experience in this world, and with a hell of a lot of respect for my family and parents. but this time, she was wrong.

i agree that i wasnt there to sell the box. but it wasnt her box to sell. yeah, i lost the money --- but she didnt help the situation at all, and she didnt act like she cared. it was a multi-family sale, and she should be sellin stuff that doesnt belong to her. if she would have sold my uncle's saxophone for $50 (a lot less than its value), she would have gotten hell for it. (and he had it marked "make offer"). but since the box is her "child's" box, she decided that it was ok to sell it, regardless if i am a hard-working money earning person who hasnt lived at home for more than ten years. its just disrespectful. thats all.

nuff said
dont attack me!
jewels.

Last edited by jewels.; 08-21-2003 at 05:28 PM.
jewels. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 05:42 PM   #7
Linus0014

I am the same way. Its not about the money. I don't care if she had gotten a million dollars for that box. Its the hole Principal in the Matter. She sold them when you gave specific instructions. Thats all it is, Principal. You have to take into factor, your mom doesn't know much about our trucks(I am assuming), to her its just a box of metal stuff taking up space....Like mine does...
Old 08-21-2003, 05:49 PM   #8
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Hey, rant all you want..... everyone has to vent sometimes. Just ignore the "old people" ....... they can get grouchy sometimes

I see under your Avatar that you are moving to Kansas City?? I live in Raytown, MO which is a suburb of Kansas City,MO! Actually, Kansas City pretty much wraps around Raytown. Anyway, when are you moving down? Are you relocating for work? I'm a drafter at a local consulting engineering firm. Do you know what part of town you are moving to?
Old 08-21-2003, 05:56 PM   #9
COBALT

This is still your fault.

You made some critical mistakes:

1. You started out by telling us you were there to help "set up and run the thing" for an obvous family event. I assume this is a rummage sale to raise some $$$ right? You make it sound like everyone in the family is contributing things to sell for the benefit of the family. Is this correct? If it is then fine, but once the truck parts got sold at a price you didn't like it suddenly became your sale and not your family's. Interesting. I thought you where there to help out? This doesn't sound very humble.

2. Since they were your parts you had the responsibility to sell them. You may see this episode as your mom's fault, but remember that you left them with her without any explanation of how much they might potentially be worth (I don't see that in your post at all). For Pete's sake, all you had to do was pull them off the shelf and stick them in a corner somewhere until you got back from lunch! Once you leave you're essentially taking the risk that someone thinking they're helping out will sell your stuff at an unacceptable price. That's the risk you took and as it turns out you got burned.

Don't turn your mother's attempt at doing good into misdirected anger because you won't accept responsibility for taking the risk. That is both unfair, disrespectful, and downright immature. Think about your decisions before making them next time, and if you still loose be mature enough to say "oh well! Life goes on!", and not publically blow a gasket.

Trust me. I'm an engineer as well, and I have a family. I know how you think. I've had the exact same type of thing happen to me, and in the long run I slowly realized I was the one who instigated the whole episode. I had to appologize...
Seattle, WA.

Last edited by COBALT; 08-21-2003 at 05:59 PM.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 05:56 PM   #10
junkyardjohn

YEP JEWELS -- I SEE ZACKLY WHERE YOU'RE COMING FROM. IT DOESN'T GET ANY EASIER WITH TIME. ABOUT SIX YEARS AGO MY MOM HAD A COUPLE OF STROKES & A HEART ATTACK & IT WAS DECIDED SHE SHOULDN'T LIVE ALONE ANY MORE. SHES IN HER EIGHTIES. SHE MOVED IN WITH ME (I'M SINGLE & LIVED BY MYSELF IN A BIG HOUSE 2500 MILES AWAY). WELL LET ME JUST SAY THE PARENT-CHILD ROLES ARE REVERSED, & I FIND MYSELF LIVING WITH A PERSON THATS BOTH SENILE & HAS ALTIMERS DISEASE. I KNOW SHE TOOK CARE OF ME FOR ALONG TIME WHEN I WAS YOUNG BUT SHEEEZE

BY THE WAY... I'M 45.. RAISED MY FAMILY.. & NOT ZACKLY A KID SHOWING DISRESPECT FOR MY PARENT. JUST ANOTHER POINT OF VIEW IS ALL.
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 08-21-2003 at 06:04 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 09:04 PM   #11
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Ouch! my guess is that mom did what she thought was right.......the tough part is that most people dont realize what these old truck parts are really worth.... my wifey doesnt understand the "attraction" to the old iron. It goes like "stink", &, scares the he!! out of her, but the bucks involved have always been a fight crazyL 40 something, but going on 18 ....pop the clutch, & grab that next gear
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 09:22 PM   #12
bigjimzlll

Just be GLAD you still have a mom..........

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 09:48 PM   #13
jewels.

Cobalt, you said quite a few things which were incorrect. Just thought I would clarify.

Quote:
Originally posted by COBALT
This is still your fault.

You made some critical mistakes:

1. You started out by telling us you were there to help "set up and run the thing" for an obvous family event. I assume this is a rummage sale to raise some $$$ right? You make it sound like everyone in the family is contributing things to sell for the benefit of the family. Is this correct? If it is then fine, but once the truck parts got sold at a price you didn't like it suddenly became your sale and not your family's. Interesting. I thought you where there to help out? This doesn't sound very humble.

yes, i was there to help set up and run it, but it was a joint effort by everyone to help set up and run it. we are NOT pooling our money together. we are keeping everyone's stuff separate, and each person earns money only from their items. it is not a fund raiser for anything. it is just a rummage sale to get rid of our 'extra stuff'.

Quote:
2. Since they were your parts you had the responsibility to sell them. You may see this episode as your mom's fault, but remember that you left them with her without any explanation of how much they might potentially be worth (I don't see that in your post at all). For Pete's sake, all you had to do was pull them off the shelf and stick them in a corner somewhere until you got back from lunch! Once you leave you're essentially taking the risk that someone thinking they're helping out will sell your stuff at an unacceptable price. That's the risk you took and as it turns out you got burned.

no one is allowed to bring down the price of anyone else's stuff. that was the rule. even my dad told my mom that if anyone offered less money on a few things, that she was to call him first to ask (and he is her husband!!) the rule was clearly CLEARLY stated that she was to call me on the phone if any offers were made. she was NOT to sell them. she knew she wasnt supposed to sell them. she wasnt selling anyone else's stuff if they werent there. she was calling them. but she didnt care because about me she assumed that she knew all about the parts (when she didnt). she assumed because i was her "little girl" that she could make the decision for me. SHE made the mistake.

Quote:
Don't turn your mother's attempt at doing good into misdirected anger because you won't accept responsibility for taking the risk. That is both unfair, disrespectful, and downright immature. Think about your decisions before making them next time, and if you still loose be mature enough to say "oh well! Life goes on!", and not publically blow a gasket.
My mom was not doing any good. If she was doing good, i would care. but she blatently took matters into her own hands, and cost me money. and now the family is pissed at her. (esp me).

bigjimzlll - i am EXTREMELY thankful for my parents. i would never be able to live without my mom. yes, i am glad she is here, and i would never try to change that. i just wish she would take responsibility for her mistake. thats all.

Slammed67 --- i am moving to KC as soon as my thesis is finished. hopefully, that will be the beginning of october.... but there is no telling when my committee will stop returning my thesis drafts with corrections! it has been 1.5 months of changes so far. go figure. i would love to meet up with any members when i get down there. i havent found a place to stay yet, but i'm hoping to find a goot deal north of the river. i will be working downtown. i wont be able to look for a place until i move.

arghhh - mothers! cant live with em, cant live without em!
jewels.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:07 PM   #14
Dusti
Not Dusti,just Bob

I got a nice chrome alternator that fits a chevy at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago for $10, i am sure it was woth more,I would never pay the going rate for parts I find at garage sales,that is why I go to them to find good
deals,I am sure you could have goten more than $12, but not too many people would want to buy parts for top dollar at a garage sale.

A 1 1/2 hour lunch? what did you have?

Bob
Old 08-21-2003, 11:45 PM   #15
ol skool 68
turnin wrenches

i am reading all these posts..............and honestly i have to sit back and laugh........jewels came on here to vent a lil about something we all hold true and dear...... our trucks and their precious parts. I don't think she came in here to intentionally bash on her mom, frustrating as it is, she will get over it and move on. i do however find it funny that people who were not involved at all, and only read what she posted, came in here to jump on her a$$ for blowing off a lil steam towards her mothers actions... unfortunately some members feel the need to point out that she is wrong not knowing the full circumstances.........i love my parents and are thankful for what they have given me. but very appreciative for the intuition and character they have instilled in me.............but i will be the first to admit that i have had a few choice words with them and some pretty nasty fights, but after both sides calm down, things move on........... point is, we all need to vent sometimes, so unless it was directed at a member on this board, lay off her.......read the post and go about your own business..............arrrgh ......some people

D.M.C. -FF-

68 SWB full frame off (project ol skool)
2000 s-10 formally bagged but now my daily driver...
ol skool 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 11:59 PM   #16
jewels.

ol skool 68 - thank you! much appreciated! that was my intent entirely -- just wanted to tell a story!

jewels.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:10 AM   #17
ol skool 68
turnin wrenches

not a problem..........always find it interesting how quick people are to judge one another without knowing "the rest of the story" (in my best paul harvey voice) lol

and to those who might decide to bash on me for standing up for jewels, well i live by this quote....." I don't have an attitude problem, you have a perception problem, Get over it!"

D.M.C. -FF-

68 SWB full frame off (project ol skool)
2000 s-10 formally bagged but now my daily driver...
ol skool 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 12:19 AM   #18
Dusti
Not Dusti,just Bob

Post your story

I'am sorry ,most people want to hear some feedback,good or bad,if nobody replied to it it would go to the bottom of the page ,then back 2 or 3 pages then it would not get read,just think of it as a helpfull ttt.

I thought it was a good post,you got alot of replys,with alot of different opinions.

Bob
Old 08-22-2003, 12:32 AM   #19
truckster

As a father of 11 children, including several teenage drivers, I'm willing to bet you cost your parents way more than $150 dollars over the years, and I don't hear them complaining about you. Cut your mom some slack.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:57 AM   #20
big blue 72

Stuck in the middle here Jewels!

I just sold a $400 cherry 4 poster bed for $50 because my little brother (age 34) has moved in with us to finish his Bachelors in Psychology, and we dont have room for anymore furniture.
And, I Aint givin up my garage space for more stuff that isnt going into the 71 chevy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good to hear from you though.....................
big blue 72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 12:58 AM   #21
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Don't you just hate yard sales & parts boards that don't list their prices??? It's such a hassle!!!
Old 08-22-2003, 01:04 AM   #22
c-10 racer
Your long lost cousin

I think jewels would probably have been just as upset had a cousin, brother, sister, friend, etc. done the same thing. ( sell off parts they weren't instructed to and then shrugging off any responsibility) To those people posting stuff about how much money Mom and Dad spend raising kids... what does that have to do with respecting other peoples property?
Old 08-22-2003, 01:34 AM   #23
big blue 72

Woulda had to have been there i guess................
I'm still backin Jewels ,because she's such a Good person!
big blue 72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 02:10 AM   #24
GMC69

I can't beleive the reaction of some people, I read the post PROPERLY the first time and understood it. Especially after Jewels stating latter in another post that the RULES were CLEARLY stated for EVERYBODY.

Everybody needs to vent sometimes and this did not help the situation turning it back on her. Sh!t happens yes I know but put yourself in her place for a change and what would your reaction be. She was calling the other people for chr!st sakes why not her, her fingers were not broken. I know it was her mother but respect is respect, it goes both ways.

If it was me I probably would have pulled the box off, but after being reashured that it would be fine and even calling her 2-3 times if not more and evrything was fine, then to not call her back, I just don't get it.

And BTW that was one hell of a lunch 1.5 hours, good thing you were not getting paid by the hour, LMAO. I hope you enjoyed your time you got to spend with your father though.

Anyhow I am getting of my soapbox now. Said what I have to say.

2019 Silvedrado 4x4
1970 Chevy 3/4 ton, 396BB, on air bags
GMC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 04:39 AM   #25
sameyrasmea72

The good news is that at least your mom didn't know what a big mistake she was making, unlike my wheeler dealer of a dad and another blasted rummage sale did. It cost me a tad bit more.

And I am not trying to steal your thread, just maybe showing you that your not alone and that maybe your mom was, at least in her mind respecting your stuff and doing what was in your best interest. Hers and the rest the family's junk probably was junk,(an asumption) and she probably had no idea, no DEFINITLY had no idea that your junk might be worth $150. That is unless she really is a cold old bitty. She, bless her clueless little heart, was probably proud that she was about to make her precious little Jewel a whopping 12 bucks on some old dirty rusty whatchamacallit. So can you be mad at her? Yes, especially if she did it on purpose. Should you be mad at her? That's your personal call.

My stupid opinion says it was a dumb mistake, like one that all of our old parents make. (See I aint old like yall was thinkin. )and that you would be better off to forgive and forget.

HMMMMM If only I could that!!!! The rest of this is just for fun and to ease the pain of your financial loss. Awhile back I had spotted a 68-72 short wide box trailor with camper since almost new so the floor was near perfect...bla bla bla the whole bed was near perfect. I figure saleable for around $1000.00.
anybody! does that sound about right??
So, me being the child, just alittle older than you Jewels. I decided to let dear old experienced pop work the deal. Mistake#1 Anyway the bed could be bought for @ $250 when i got ready he said. To them it was just a trailor that they never used. So for some time I have been sitting, or thought I was, on this purchase,Mistake #2 I know!!! I am an idiot. But i had no where to store it really wanted to keep it for a next project someday. And I know that I know that I know that I know that in its location it would take 18/18 vision for these beds( LIKE MINE ha ha) for someone to find it. So, after reading this board for awhile I decided I didnot need to keep it for myself afterall.$$$$$$$$ Since my dad lost their #, Not my mistake you pointers out there, I drove the 154 miles to tell them I would take it and that they could take off what they wanted to keep like the compressor mounted to the frame. I would just come back and get it in a day or two. Well come to find out my dad had told them that we definitly wanted it and to take off what they wanted and we would pick it "sometime". I just wish he would have told me. Novel Idea, they took him serious and got it ready to go.The only problem was that I had no idea I had purchased it months ago. Since that liar never showed up and the trailor was ready to go anyway they just sold it in a damn rummage sale. I guess he thought they should just leave it in the driveway until i got ready to pick it up. I would of told them that I was still looking at some other trailors and would let them Know.HHHMMM Old people!! That was way too long, sorry, but it's late/early and I have nothing new to read. boo hoo!

So, feel better?,lol. I think both of you were a little to blame ( unlike my little ordeal..jk) but I am sure ya'll will patch things up soon.

$150, baby money. If anybody should be mad it should be me. I am mad. FORGET THE PRINCIPLE. Where's my $750.00 Pop. NOW!

Take care
sameyrasmea72 is offline   Reply With Quote