The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2015, 12:37 AM   #1
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Question Coffee clotch time: If you were a newb on the site (part 2)

So the question is the same but in a basic DIY deal. If you were a newb to the site, trucks etc.. what would you like to know and read about?

what to look for when buying a classic
how to change oil
how to change headlight
how to pop out change ign cylinder
where to look for (insert issue here) such as common rust spots, whatever...

add your ideas
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
dirtyjim

Re: Coffee clotch time: If you were a newb on the site (part 2)

I think a what to look for when buying a classic sticky would be a good idea for newbies and even for some of us that got out of the game for a while and now have the time and money get back into it.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
boatpuller

This is impossible I'm sure, But I wish there was a way to get new members to use the search feature. There is a huge amount of info there that's already been covered.... Maybe promote it more.
I don't visit the 73 to 87 forum much anymore because 80% of it I've seen before. Bumper bracket's....Let's see some engine bay's ? There is probably 12 threads on those two alone. Every time a new one pop's up I fight the urge to be that forum guy that says "use the search". Because when I was new I did the same thing I'm sure.

I think a tire and wheel forum would be helpful....I get at least 5 or 6 p.m's a year on my tire size ? what's your back space ? what's your offset does it rub ? I'm glad to help but maybe they would be able to read some of the info.
My daily driver is a Dodge Cummins lifted 4x4 and I visit a forum for those rigs and the tire and wheel forum is very popular and I know what your thinking we have all these different years ? Well they do too....But it works.

Liz what's a clotch ? .... Sounds like sumthin I don't want

Last edited by boatpuller; 01-11-2015 at 12:29 PM. Reason: new thought
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
68shortwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
This is impossible I'm sure, But I wish there was a way to get new members to use the search feature. There is a huge amount of info there that's already been covered.... Maybe promote it more.
I don't visit the 73 to 87 forum much anymore because 80% of it I've seen before. Bumper bracket's....Let's see some engine bay's ? There is probably 12 threads on those two alone. Every time a new one pop's up I fight the urge to be that forum guy that says "use the search". Because when I was new I did the same thing I'm sure.
While I agree, I sometimes post up those same style threads because I have searched and all the threads that come up date back to around 2009-12 and alot of people have joined back then and have something to offer to it.

To Liz. Something like how to tell what year you have, or how to tell 67-8 fenders from 69-72. Or have a dedicated interior section. Some people have questions that don't pertain to audio nor electrical. Stuff like dash swaps or late model bucket/bench seat swaps. Just thoughts.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:03 PM   #5
cableguy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post

I think a tire and wheel forum would be helpful....I get at least 5 or 6 p.m's a year on my tire size ? what's your back space ? what's your offset does it rub ? I'm glad to help but maybe they would be able to read some of the info.
My daily driver is a Dodge Cummins lifted 4x4 and I visit a forum for those rigs and the tire and wheel forum is very popular and I know what your thinking we have all these different years ? Well they do too....But it works.

Liz what's a clotch ? .... Sounds like sumthin I don't want
I absolutely hate the search Nazis that frequent forums. In this industry especially, questions have ever evolving answers. Asking the question in a new thread gets new attention and brings up the latest info. I have been here a damn long time and it drives me nuts when people tell others to just use search. Search is a POS and sucks for the most part. People should feel free to ask questions.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #6
C20ELEPHANT

Hi Liz, I'm a member on 3 diesel sites under the same name and was introduced to this site by 71blksuper4x4 when I posted a 1968 Chevy 4 door truck on DuramaxDiesels in his build thread. He had asked for more information about the truck and I posted it here. Now I’m kinda here for my 82 and to share what I know from the last 20 years on the same truck and now may keep it. One item I have not seen much here is "subed" or some iteration of it to subscribe to a thread, could the bar be made a little longer and add “Subscribe to this thread”?

Quote:
“Subscribe to this thread--Thread Tools--Search This thread—Rate Thread--Display Mode”

Regarding what cableguy0 remarked on I agree about the search nazi’s comment by members saying use the search bar, then to boatpullers about a never ending barrage of the same type of post, 60 seconds between searches is a little ridiculous when clicking inside the site...? So I copy a few keywords to Google outside of the site and up pops almost what I’m looking for, haven’t tried the google search inside the website and if it is as slow as the site I’ll just continue as I’m doing.

Mike
C20ELEPHANT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:27 PM   #7
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
So the question is the same but in a basic DIY deal. If you were a newb to the site, trucks etc.. what would you like to know and read about?
I want to see pictures of everyone's cats.

Hiya Liz, I hope you and yours are doin' well out there.

It doesn't bother me to see the same questions pop up occasionally. Usually the people asking are new to forums, and to these trucks as well. Asking someone who isn't very web savvy to slog through search replies could be discouraging. The noobs are the one's who need the most help, and shouldn't be discouraged from asking questions by being told to search. It may seem redundant to some, but to the new member it's quite relevant.

I think the General Discussion forum was better before so many topics were removed and given forums of their own. I can only guess that it must be much more difficult to eliminate a topic than it is to create one. Especially when it has extensive archives.

I thought this forum was big when I joined it with almost 5k members. It must be mind boggling now to keep it running smooth. My hat's off to you and J. G/L with whatever changes you may decide on. jh
Old 01-11-2015, 10:50 PM   #8
Josh
He's got mean nasty FANGS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C20ELEPHANT View Post
haven’t tried the google search inside the website and if it is as slow as the site I’ll just continue as I’m doing.

Mike
It's just google built into the site. It helps support the site while adding additional searching capabilities.
1969 C-10
1967 C-10 Panel
josh@67-72chevytrucks.com
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:05 AM   #9
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Clotch... nfc alone, on long island a coffee cloch is a sit have a cup of coffee n ***** or toss ideas deal.

JH, I agree on the general d more than you will ever know. Site growth did that, and many of those sub forums are a thing of the past, back here now. Issue was we spent more time modding gen at that time than most areas. Kinda messed up for a truck site lol..

Thanks for the ideas guys. Lets keep it going
Old 01-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #10
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I think the site is great and it's awesome y'all are still trying to make it even better. I think I might just drop the FB page and stay here. It astounds me the amount of mis information that gets posted there on a daily basis. Seriously... what's funny is on facespace I can actually see who you are and make fun of you (in my mind) but on here if you say something stupid I usually see just see a pic of a truck.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:05 AM   #11
boatpuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
Clotch... nfc alone, on long island a coffee cloch is a sit have a cup of coffee n ***** or toss ideas deal.

JH, I agree on the general d more than you will ever know. Site growth did that, and many of those sub forums are a thing of the past, back here now. Issue was we spent more time modding gen at that time than most areas. Kinda messed up for a truck site lol..

Thanks for the ideas guys. Lets keep it going
Cloch you learn something everyday.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:07 PM   #12
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Maybe its just a northern yenta thing its a term i grew up with
Old 01-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #13
ERASER5

I would 2nd the cat picture forum, but 67ChevyRedneck would just make fun of me... in his mind...

Oh, Hi Liz! How's my new best friend?

The 60 second wait slowed me way down on the search button use. There may be really good reason for it, but it does keep me from using it a lot.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:32 PM   #14
cableguy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
I would 2nd the cat picture forum, but 67ChevyRedneck would just make fun of me... in his mind...

Oh, Hi Liz! How's my new best friend?

The 60 second wait slowed me way down on the search button use. There may be really good reason for it, but it does keep me from using it a lot.
If I remember right the 60 second wait was added because search was actually crashing the server.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:13 PM   #15
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
I've heard of "cat ladies"... could be interesting...

Seriously, have you been on the facespace page? Read through some of the posts/comments. HILARIOUS stuff. I read through some of it when I need a laugh. I've learned to never comment or like a pic though... it blows my phone up with "new comments/new likes" notifications.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:20 PM   #16
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Don't tell anyone, but I had to turn the group notifications off on my phone and email
I hate moderating them, so I pretty much don't say a lot and just delete the comment and them when its bad.

Search, hopefully soon.. the site has upgrades on the top of the to do list.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:26 AM   #17
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Moved to 67-72 for input
Old 01-13-2015, 01:52 AM   #18
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

I'll offer a few tips that may be useful in terms of finding information. vBulletin's search feature is limited in terms of finding useful information. As well, searches can also be resource intensive.

Another option available, is doing searches via google on this site, specifically, to yield better search results.

Web Search

Google has a "site:" command available to search a specific site for information. At the google website, you could enter: site:67-72chevytrucks.com

and it would return results for all pages it has indexed for this site. That, by itself, isn't particular beneficial, however, if followed with search terms after the site command, it can be quite beneficial.

For example: site:67-72chevytrucks.com windshield wiper seal

would return results for this site specifically relating to: windshield wiper seal, and the direct link:

https://www.google.com/#q=site:67-72...eld+wiper+seal

Image Search

Google also has an image search that can be used in a similar manner. This can be particularly helpful when looking for posts on the forum that have images relating to what you are searching for.

Google images url:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

When you visit that url, you will see: site:67-72chevytrucks.com
in the search box. That shows all images google has found on this site.

Let's say you wanted to find images where someone has patched/welded a new fender cup to a fender, to see how others have tackled this challenge.

We could make the image search box look like: site:67-72chevytrucks.com fender cup weld

Here's the direct url for that search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...ender+cup+weld

Now you have a list of images on *this* site that google has indexed, that are related to the keywords. Click on an image, and you have the option to view the image, or link directly to the post on this site and read more, or see more images.

Please feel free to included this for new users. This may be of help to seasoned users as well. Hope it helps.

Wade
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:24 AM   #19
Elliot949

Probably some of these types of things...

A: Dependable body/mechanical shops in your area that do quality work... There are alot of "body Shops" but few do quality work in a reasonable time frame... The other side of that is What Body/Mechanical shops NOT to use in your area...

B: Quality OER parts to use and who supplies them...

C: Reliable sellers on the board...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:43 AM   #20
lowbucktrucks

I would love to see a list of popular swaps, tech tips, etc, such as the disc brake swap section, parts needed,
example I'm planning to swap 91 suburban front crossmember into 69 c20, then adding 454/400 and I cant find what stands to use for the motor or if the trans crossmember form 91 will work
Just a suggestion from a newbie
lowbucktrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:38 AM   #21
StupudMunkee

When we talk about search functions and reading a lot of old posts, the biggest issue I have come across is that posts from 4 or 5 years ago may not be the most current; Vendors change, parts change, new ideas replace old ones, etc.. Organizing an informational section of "living" stickies with a standardized description that are updated as needed would create a resource that is both informational and timely.

A deserving post/process/build is identified and submitted to admin. Admin or volunteer generates the description, details, and whatever else is appropriate. Admin makes the description post#1 with the remainder of the sticky to follow. If someone wants to update the living sticky, they can submit their changes/updates to admin for review and post.

One thing I like about the www is that we always find a new way to skin a cat. An authoritative "how-to" section that has been vetted by those who know would be an incredible asset for a community like this.

My .02 cents, I'll take my change in large coins please.
StupudMunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #22
BrianG

For a Newb... Where to start..
1. Where to start in finding parts for my truck
2. Where to start fo finding info about my truck
3. Where to start when restoring my truck
4. Where to start when dissassembling my truck
5. Where to start when reassembling my truck
6. Where to start finding shops that work on our trucks in my area
7. Where to start finding local groups, members, etc.
8. Where to .... you get the idea
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:31 AM   #23
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by C20ELEPHANT View Post
So I copy a few keywords to Google outside of the site and up pops almost what I’m looking for, haven’t tried the google search inside the website and if it is as slow as the site I’ll just continue as I’m doing.

Mike
All I ever use is the google search at the top of the page and check the circle in front of "67-72chevytrucks.com". It has always worked good for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupudMunkee View Post
When we talk about search functions and reading a lot of old posts, the biggest issue I have come across is that posts from 4 or 5 years ago may not be the most current; Vendors change, parts change, new ideas replace old ones, etc.. Organizing an informational section of "living" stickies with a standardized description that are updated as needed would create a resource that is both informational and timely.

A deserving post/process/build is identified and submitted to admin. Admin or volunteer generates the description, details, and whatever else is appropriate. Admin makes the description post#1 with the remainder of the sticky to follow. If someone wants to update the living sticky, they can submit their changes/updates to admin for review and post.

One thing I like about the www is that we always find a new way to skin a cat. An authoritative "how-to" section that has been vetted by those who know would be an incredible asset for a community like this.

My .02 cents, I'll take my change in large coins please.
We actually have a pretty good FAQ forum (or "how to" ). If you Scroll down to the bottom of this page you will see the "Forum Jump" box. Click on the little down arrow on the right side of the box and scroll down to "FAQ Truck Tech". Click on that and it will list all of the different FAQ sections.

A reply to the original thread question below:

On another note, one of my pet peeves is the lack of explanation on instructions. Case in point: In the 67-72 FAQ Index posted by FAQ Guy the 2nd post says "To add a link to the FAQ, please use the report a post feature. Thank you.".... 75% of the people who read that won't have a clue what the report a post feature is or where it's at. A short explanation of what and where would make a lot of difference on how many people actually use it. I know that the experienced person doesn't think about it because they know what it is and where it's at.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 01-13-2015 at 11:39 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:46 AM   #24
67 cst swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwkns View Post
I want to see pictures of everyone's cats.

Hiya Liz, I hope you and yours are doin' well out there.

It doesn't bother me to see the same questions pop up occasionally. Usually the people asking are new to forums, and to these trucks as well. Asking someone who isn't very web savvy to slog through search replies could be discouraging. The noobs are the one's who need the most help, and shouldn't be discouraged from asking questions by being told to search. It may seem redundant to some, but to the new member it's quite relevant.

I think the General Discussion forum was better before so many topics were removed and given forums of their own. I can only guess that it must be much more difficult to eliminate a topic than it is to create one. Especially when it has extensive archives.

I thought this forum was big when I joined it with almost 5k members. It must be mind boggling now to keep it running smooth. My hat's off to you and J. G/L with whatever changes you may decide on. jh
I am in agreement with jhwkns, well all except the cats thing.. have you seen all the cats on youtube? I sneeze just opening youtube. LOL

It doesn't bother me to see the same topics pop up. Now... 2 in the same day is a different story. It gives the new users a chance to interact and feel like they are part of the group.

I try to use the search. The 60 second thing is frustrating, especially if your first attempt found only 1 "not quite it" result. The "search" ends up taking so much of my time to go through the threads to fine out only some of what I am looking for.

I totally agree will the "better before so many topics were removed". I have had 2-3 topics moved because I asked who was going to a swap meet or a race. Then it was moved to a regions discussion. Only to see someone post a craigslist link for a random truck "for sale" in the general forum and it stays. I am NOT saying the craigslist links need to go away, because I appreciate them and always open them.

Liz, I am not complaining here. Because there is no way I would want to do everything you people that are dedicated to this site do. I think you people do an outstanding job.

This is the only forum I have ever been a member of, so I cannot compare to what other sites do. Other than I have been a guest on a site or 2 where you can click to enlarge a profile pic, etc...

I would like to see a section within a persons profile page, where a person could have a picture of there (one or multiple) truck(s) and then a person could see what amount of drop, tire size, color used, seat used, etc... from the "truck signature", where the owner could list all the things about their truck and the owner also be able to update it.

I initially asked quite a few people about the amount of lowering and tire size. If I could've clicked on their profile and clicked on a vehicle(s) tab and found a few pictures and a listing of specifics. I woulda been done.

And... I agree with the "Popular Mods" idea.
How to convert to disc brakes and what is needed
How to convert to LS motor and what is needed
How to convert to 5 lug rearend and what id needed
ETC...

I have found some amazing info within a thread or link to from within a thread, that I think would be great info to have available in a sticky or "useful info" tab. I will copy the link here if I find the one that comes to mind. Here it is, image in post #16.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=323797

Also a way for the starter of a thread to edit the title, in case of misspelled word or realized a better way to word the question or subject.

And a small complaint... Is there anything you can do about a pictures thread turning into a comment thread. I remember a few threads where there was 1 picture 18 comments, then 1 more picture 18 more comments.
It shoulda been titled "what everybody thinks of each 1 picture" thread. LOL

Liz... Are you sorry you asked the question yet... oh wait, I didn't really answer the initial question did I? Sorry about that.

OK, I'll shut up now...
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White

Last edited by 67 cst swb; 01-14-2015 at 10:14 PM.
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:00 PM   #25
slowcpe

Like stated before I use Google when searching for specific things. No big deal there.

I would like sub-forums like "Vender Marketplace" to show up in "New Posts". I don't always think about it and there can be some good deals on there.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote