The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2015, 01:29 AM   #1
shanerocks

Whats it worth?

I have been lurking for a while and have an interest in starting a project. I am looking at a '48 1/2ton 5 window. It is a pretty solid truck not much for rust on the body, floor is pretty much gone, no motor trans or anything except all body parts are there. There are two doors in the box and a grill. Cab corners are good and also has a Ford 9". Basically its just a shell. Guy wants $700 for it. Is this fair? I will probably offer $500 see what happens. My plan is to buy a s10 and swap on to that. I have lined up a s10 LB with air ride and 406sbc with 700r4 trans which I am planning on using as the doner for $4k USD. Is there much that I have to do to the drivetrain to make this fit? Maybe move the motor back?? First build first post. Any input would be great. Thanks
shanerocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:29 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: Whats it worth?

a picture is worth 1000 words and might get a better idea
but... before this thread get's shut down you might want to read the thread rules
for buying, selling and what it's worth threads without being a contributing member

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:57 PM   #3
PDW HOTRODS

Sounds like a very good price.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:07 PM   #4
mr48chev

Compared to what I have seen thrown out for sale for several times that price I'd think 700 asking was pretty fair.

A lot of the asking/selling price thing is the location that you live in and how willing you are to travel a couple hundred miles to get a deal. I'd say that is already a deal though if it isn't hacked up or rusted out.

I'm with in Ogre in that the thread will no doubt get shut down as it isn't considered kosher to ask such questions unless you are a paid subscribed member. In other words = no free buying or selling here.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:38 PM   #5
shanerocks

Thanks for the input guys. I dont mean to start off on the wrong foot. Mods please close this thread.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:00 PM   #6
pigpin

Title? How is the glass? Have a seat? But $700 sounds about right.
pigpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:51 AM   #7
mr48chev

Guys on FB are asking more than that for a bare cab daily and seeming to get it or maybe have that as a bargaining point.

A local guy thinks this rusted out hulk of a 3/4 ton is worth 2500 and blew up on me when I told him it wasn't worth anywhere near close to that. Floors are rusted clear out, kick panels rusted out and the bottom ten inches of both doors is rusted away along with beat up running boards and fenders that are basically scrap tin.

I was willing to pay a hundred bucks more than I thought it was worth because I wanted the running boards and roof and then the running boards turned out to be junk.

As several said 700 for decent sheet metal and a title seems pretty fair in today's market.

There was a real nice looking marina blue AD 3100 potential project on the local craigslist for 1200 that I steered a guy off FB towards as I didn't have the cash to buy it.
It looked like someone had taken a really nice little 3100 and tried to stick 4x4 running gear under it and gave up.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:19 AM   #8
pigpin

I sold this on Ebay a few month ago for about $2000. It was complete and had a clear title but was pretty rusty.
pigpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #9
tony58

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
a picture is worth 1000 words and might get a better idea
but... before this thread get's shut down you might want to read the thread rules
for buying, selling and what it's worth threads without being a contributing member

I've never understood what's so wrong with asking for opinions on value. I can understand not allowing actual sales but asking for opinions is not taking anything away from the site's pocketbook. This practice is much like the government's thinking that they have a right to a percentage of everyone's money.
tony58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #10
mr48chev

I'm not sure Tony but think it may be that the administrators believe that quite often when someone does ask that question they are hunting for an offer on what the have for sale as in " I have this widget off my truck, what's it worth so I can put it up for sale?" sort of thing.
In this case he is asking what's a fair amount to offer on the truck he is looking at and we almost to a person think that the asking price is pretty friendly in it's self compared to what we see around the country.
You can't always go buy the Craigslist prices around the country nor can you go by the Ebay buy it now prices as both fairly often are fishing expeditions hoping to catch a big fat sucker unless the seller has just decided that he/she wants to get rid of said truck and move on about their business. I bought two 1-1/2 tons off Craigslist for 100 cash for the pair about 5 years ago just before scrap prices went through the roof when the guy who had them for several years got tired of looking at them. He put them on Craigslist for 100 bucks, I called and then ran up there getting to his place about an hour and a half after the add showed up. Guys on Facebook are asking 1500 each for similar trucks in the same condition now but I couldn't get a phone call when I asked 300 on Craigslist for the one I hauled home as a roller with no engine. It will sit where it is until I figure out something something to do with it or someone falls in love with it.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #11
tony58

"I'm not sure Tony but think it may be that the administrators believe that quite often when someone does ask that question they are hunting for an offer on what the have for sale as in " I have this widget off my truck, what's it worth so I can put it up for sale?" sort of thing."

That would be true but anyone reading his post can clearly understand he wants help in determining value of something he is thinking of buying. I have seen this many times here and it just is plain old dumb.
tony58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:01 PM   #12
_Ogre

tony, not my forum, nor am i a moderator
just making a new member aware of forum rules
''what's it worth'' threads are clear stated in the forum rules that everyone agrees to when signing up

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa....php?f=13&a=17

Old 01-12-2015, 02:24 PM   #13
67GMCkid

In my area.
I have see a decent stripped bare 5 window cab bring $1500,, and when I say bare anything that could be removed without cutting was gone!

I have seen trucks that have set in the woods for nearly 40 years and rusted beyond belief, we are talking total crusher weight bring a $1000 with no title!

Just like real estate it's all, "LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!"
67GMCkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:26 PM   #14
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Location is a big thing. Here on the West Coast WA/BC area prices are lower than back east and Central Canada where the OP is from, prices are even lower for rust free stuff lol $500-1000 for something like that with title is typical there. Complete trucks that could run with little effort and have little rust are $1000-2500 in Manitoba and Sask all day long, compared to the eastern States where they are buying rust buckets at that price.

I always watch CL and keep and an eye on what sells and what doesn't, and here in BC and WA any LWB truck will take 10 times longer to sell compared to a SWB truck it seems. But right now there a bunch of SWB trucks which are all rusty projects and guys asking $2500-5000 for and will never get it. There are all $500-1000 project trucks in my mind. I like the big trucks though and luckily they are still cheap to get as nobody wants them and usually rust free which is a plus. Just looking at a couple '55-57 2 Ton stub noses now which are 99% rust free, running/driving for around $2000-3000. Used to get them for $500-1000 but prices have come up a bit with people thinking they are as desirable as the small trucks.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:07 PM   #15
OrrieG

There is a thread on the S-10 swap that should let you know what you are up against.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:57 PM   #16
shanerocks

Thanks for keeping this thread going guys. I dont mean to violate the rules just had a question as to the value since this is going to be my first project and get a better idea what I am up against in my region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpin View Post
Title? How is the glass? Have a seat? But $700 sounds about right.
Title I am unaware as its sitting on his yard will "$700" spray painted on the door. No glass, no seat, no nothing no trim at all. Basically just the metal. No wheels just a 9" rear end w/ drums. I know the floor is pretty bad and almost looks like someone had cut out for a larger tunnel. I only got a quick look at it as there was lots of snow and leaves. I saw 2 doors in the back and a grill and no bumpers. maybe in the back too but i am more worried about the front inner fenders and rad/splash guard area. Which would be needed for initial mock up on new frame. Ill keep my on this but need to get my hands on that 406sbc/700r4 s10 bagged LB doner.
Thanks again guys lots of help here. Ill try snapping a picture of my AD find just for the heck of it.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:36 PM   #17
mgchevyparts

I would try to find something a little better to start with. No, a lot better
Old 01-13-2015, 08:41 AM   #18
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanerocks View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I dont mean to start off on the wrong foot. Mods please close this thread.
Actually the rules against "whats it worth" only apply to asking what your truck is worth. Mainly because it's almost always a way to skirt the rules on selling.
There's no problem with asking opinions on a truck you're considering buying.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:49 PM   #19
_Ogre

thanks for that clarification

Old 01-13-2015, 10:49 PM   #20
shanerocks

Thanks again guys. Snapped some pics on my way home from work just for fun.

Then there is this one that I have also had my eyes on the last 6 years since I moved to this area. Great thing is these are both on my drive too work! So their constantly taunting me!!! Crappy pics as I had to zoom all the way in on my iPhone. Haven't talked to the owner on this on or know if its even for sale. My theory is everything is for the right price. Just not quite ready yet.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:47 AM   #21
YBNORML

It looks to me like truck number one is basically what's left from someone's parts truck. I don't really have an opinion on the value as prices vary so much depending on where you live. I personally would be looking for a more complete truck to build. Buy the best truck you can afford to start with, it will pay off huge in the end.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:53 PM   #22
_Ogre

looks like truck number 2 might be a better choice, truck number 1 needs a lot of parts

Old 01-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #23
shanerocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
looks like truck number 2 might be a better choice, truck number 1 needs a lot of parts
I agree I've always wanted that blue one, since I saw it 6 yrs ago! One day!
I think that I will stay away from the '48 as I do agree its probably not the best to start a project with for the first time.