The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #1
rich weyand

Review and pics -- Proform Valve Cover Hold-Downs with Wire Clips

My previous spark plug wire holders were dying. They were put on by some PO, probably in 1998 when it was rebuilt, and we just moved them to the new motor, so they didn't owe us anything. Also, I was getting a little seepage from under the front of the right side valve cover. Full synthetic oil will leak out anywhere it is given a chance. The valve covers were held on with the T-nut doo-dads with 3" pressure spreaders.

So I bought these. They also come in red, blue, and chrome.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Proform/778/66...oductId=746299

These are .165" thick over the coating, so they are stamped out of 4mm steel. Being that thick, they are very rigid. The detents that push down on the valve cover stick down .115". They paint/powdercoat is nicely done, high-gloss, without major orange peel or defect. The wire clips are the press-in type, and look pretty sturdy. They accepted my Taylor 8mm wires with no problem. The clips are bolted to the unit from underneath.

Installation was straightforward. No issues were encountered with the product interfering with plumbing or the like. To get good routing of the wires around the headers, the plug wires counting out from the valve cover are 1-3-7-5 on one side and 2-4-8-6 on the other. This allows the last two plug wires on each side to cross each other and get in there without danger of contacting the header tubes.

No idea whether these will keep the valve covers synth-tight or not yet. I also have a can of an aviation product, TiteSeal (medium thickness) coming, with which I will seal the valve covers if it keeps being a problem. TiteSeal does not harden, so you use it on the non-cemented side of the gasket. I probably won't need it with these, and the gaskets in there are top-of-the-line.

I think these cleaned up the look quite a bit. I got rid of those stainless trays and opened up the view of the engine, and I like it.

Before, Drivers side:

After, Drivers side:

Before, Passengers side:

After, Passengers side:

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote