The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2015, 02:59 AM   #1
octanejunkie

Steering damper install on Task Force truck

With modern tires on the factory suspension of our Task Force trucks (which have limited alignment capabilities) many of the road's imperfections are inherently translated back to the driver through the steering gear. In order to minimize this reality I installed an aftermarket steering stabilizer, a damper in between my front axle and tie rod. I chose this location rather than between the tie rod and the the frame because mounting the damper to the frame mount would be tricky and probably look ugly, and I already had aftermarket brackets on my front axle from the sway bar. Typical 4x4 damper mounting is between the front axle and tie rod when on vehicles with one-piece differential front axle.

I mounted the damper BEHIND the axle, utilizing one of the mounts of my sway bar to anchor the damper behind the axle, it is barely visible from the road and free from most road debris. Positioning the damper this way also ensured that the damper stays level with the axle and tie rod's plane of travel, and since the axle and tie rod move together as a unit, mounting the damper between the two seemed like the perfect location.

Here is the axle side mounting bracket welded to my sway bar u-bolts.

The other damper bracket mounts to the tie rod with the damper's piston halfway in it's travel and the vehicle's wheels are pointed straight ahead. No matter where you mount the damper's fixed end mount, to the frame or other suspension component, you must make sure it is strong enough take the pressure at the correct installation location. The piston to tie rod mounting can be seen well here.

My tie rod rocks back and forth on the ball joints so I installed the damper piston mount when the ball joints were centered.

I measured the damper travel before installing it and compared it to my total steering travel to make sure I wouldn't bottom out the damper or cut my steering travel. I mock-installed the damper testing the steering in both directions, left to right and right to left, lock to lock, stop to stop. It's very important to measure and test every aspect of this install to ensure that nothing binds or becomes limited. The damper you use MUST have MORE travel than your steering to ensure the damper won't bottom out when installed.

After Action Report
The feeling of driving with a steering damper on my power-steering truck is interesting to describe. My truck tracks straighter, with less effort from me and much of the vibration of the road is gone. Minor ruts and poor/unlevelled pavement has much less influence on the steering and the wheels don't seem to be "grabbed" by the road as much. The steering is also takes a bit more effort to turn now, like the power steering has been downgraded to power-assist; it's not that bad in actuality.
Also the wheels are not as apt to return to center after a turn. This is inherent in the Task Force truck front suspension can be addressed by adding more positive caster, up to about 6°, however the steering damper "dampers" returnability too. All in all, it's a worthwhile upgrade for me with larger, offroad tires on my truck, along with adding positive caster.

Safety is important, as is performance. Making sure the damper is properly installed, parallel with the movement of the tie rod, and mounted in the center of the travel of the steering radius of travel is critical. Even pressure must be applied to the damper by the steering in either direction. If the damper is not properly aligned with the tie rod, and aligns with the tie rod travel, it may become harder turning to one direction, or it may bind - neither is safe or acceptable.

I don't know of any kit on the market today specifically for the Task Force trucks, 55-59. As mentioned in another thread here, classicparts.com carries a steering damper kit, but if the picture on their site is accurate it is intended for a 4x4 with a round front axle.

Parts Used
Gabriel Steering Stabilizer Kit, PN 6861SE

Alternate Parts (found, not bought or tested)
Gabriel Steering Stabilizer Mount Kit, PN 1319
Skyjacker Steering Stabilizer Single Kit, PN 7100

Disclaimer: Do not attempt this or any retrofit upgrade to your vehicle unless you understand all the elements involved and have the proper tools to install, test and tune. If you have any doubts about how to properly install or service a steering damper, utilize the services of an ASE certified suspension shop.

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside

Last edited by octanejunkie; 01-19-2015 at 03:10 AM. Reason: added link
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:33 AM   #2
LDO

Re: Steering damper install on Task Force truck

I purchased one of these for my wife's 57 thinking it would help with all of those issues you described. I couldn't figure out how to put it all together along with the sway bar which I also have.

Thanks for posting those pictures and description. It helps out allot. If it's ok, I may shoot you a PM if I run into problems or questions.

thanks!
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
octanejunkie

Re: Steering damper install on Task Force truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDO View Post
Thanks for posting those pictures and description. It helps out allot. If it's ok, I may shoot you a PM if I run into problems or questions.
Glad you liked the post.
Sure, you can PM me, I'd be happy to share my experience in greater detail.

On any issue of life-safety, consult a certified local resource if you are unsure of how to install or adjust something on your vehicle

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote