The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2015, 06:37 PM   #1
Axe

51 GMC on a 66 frame

I had one of the other members ask me to explain, how I am putting my 51 GMC on a 66 frame.

First I want to say that there are many different ways to do this, this is just the way I have found to work best for me. Also I can't run to ORD or somewhere to buy prefab parts I just have to work with what I have.
Ok I started with a dana 44 that was out of the front of a 85 jeep J10 truck, it has a wms to wms of 62 1/2" and the stock wms to wms on the GMC is 60". I started using the 51 frame but you have to add to the front of the frame and the frame is so narrow that it just looked bad.
I had a 66 long wheelbase frame that I had already converted to 4x4 so I decided to use it. that made things a lot easier, the spring width is for all GM axles and was the same as the dana 44.
When I started mounting the body I found welding a piece of 3x3 tubing in the saddle of the frame it would give me enough frame to mount my body mounts without having them so tall. I reused the front cab mount of the 51 and 2 from the 66. If you go this route it does move the body mounts out wider. I also used some s-10 body bushings and welded the body bolt nuts so I can just unbolt the body from underneath the truck.
I built a frame in the cab to give more support, the frame is to lay the new floor on too.
When it comes to the bed, I'm going to use bed cross members from the 66 because I have them and they are already drilled for the frame width. I'm not using wood for durability and I'm going to put a goose neck ball in the bed. I'm using the floor from a later model bed. Now depending, if you use wood or metal that may make the height of the tubing you weld in the frame saddle a little different.
For the rear axle, I want a 3/4 or 1ton, so a 14 bolt out of a cab and chassis 1 ton has a wms to wms of 62 1/2" so that keeps the wheel real close to stock widths.
Like I said before this is just the easiest way for me, and I hope this may help someone on their build. I'm still working on mine, so if I run across anything that might help I'll post it.
Attached Images

Axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:10 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: 51 GMC on a 66 frame

Looks pretty good so far.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote