The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2015, 11:15 PM   #1
Barbecue

Behind the seat subwoofer box.

Hey guys,

I'm starting to plan out what I'll need to compile for my goal of a pretty kick-ass, albeit budget stereo in my '86 Silverado. I've had subs in the past in an old Mercedez of mine and loved having a large amount of bass on tap. I was originally thinking of the powered all-in-one units which go under the seats (similar to the one in the LMC catalogue), however, I've heard that they leave something to be desired. So I think I'll go for one behind the seat.

I stumbled across this deal while searching for local deals (apologies if I'm not supposed to be hotlinking): http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Cate...8&sku=TCWS1043

What do you gents think of it? Will the dimensions (box top depth of 4") work behind my seat? I'm 6'4", so my seat is all the way back, all of the time. The above deal does sound pretty good, and I do have an old Phoenix Gold amp kicking around that I could use. I'm curious to know your thoughts.

Thanks so much in advance for your time and insights.

BBQ
Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:33 PM   #2
UKNOWME

Re: Behind the seat subwoofer box.

You should buy 3!
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:47 AM   #3
Barbecue

No better way to see if something fits than to try it, so that's exactly what I did. Confirmed that the local Visions had a demo and tried it out behind my seat - no dice. It would have fit okay if I were able to have my seat forward a couple of notches, but I don't have that luxury. Back to the drawing board.

Have any of you folks had success using the flat, all-in-one units that are usually meant for under the seat? I may look into one of the tube-style bass "cannons" as well which could run along the bottom of the gap behind the seat provided its diameter isn't too big...
Old 01-23-2015, 03:18 AM   #4
rich weyand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbecue View Post
... Have any of you folks had success using the flat, all-in-one units that are usually meant for under the seat? I may look into one of the tube-style bass "cannons" as well which could run along the bottom of the gap behind the seat provided its diameter isn't too big...
I have. Here's my write-up from four years back on another forum. I would re-post it here, but there are about twenty links in here I would have to replicate, because they don't come through a cut and paste.

Worked out great, no issues to this day. My music is classic rock/hard rock/metal, and I like the frequency response flat all the way into the basement. This has more than enough bass for me. I never come close to stressing it.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...oobs-rcsb.html

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:44 AM   #5
Barbecue

Awesome. Thanks so much, Rich. I'll look forward to giving your thread a thorough read later today on a break. Assistance much appreciated!

Cheers
Old 01-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #6
bnoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich weyand View Post
I have. Here's my write-up from four years back on another forum. I would re-post it here, but there are about twenty links in here I would have to replicate, because they don't come through a cut and paste.

Worked out great, no issues to this day. My music is classic rock/hard rock/metal, and I like the frequency response flat all the way into the basement. This has more than enough bass for me. I never come close to stressing it.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...oobs-rcsb.html
Frequency response flat all the way to the basement with the little Lanzar? Not a chance unless the basement is 150 Hz. Easy to install and quite amazing for what it is (a driver in a tiny tiny box and included amplifier), but by no means an audiophile quality piece. I listen to the same music as you, even use Dark Side of the Moon as a test disc, but that in no way has enough bass for me, let alone more than enough. There's another 125 Hz missing under there man!!! I even have 17Hz pipe organ blasts on the old '90-'91 or so Alpine test disc from toccata and fugue in d minor track that I just HAVE TO HAVE! Different strokes!
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:35 PM   #7
rich weyand

"... that in no way has enough bass for me, let alone more than enough...." Have you heard one, or did you just go "8 inch, too small, pah"?

The Lanzar has a 50-150 Hz adjustable LOW-PASS filter -- that means it doesn't START until you are under 150 Hz, or even 50 Hz. Look, you're not gonna win any gas station subwoofer competitions with this, but that's not the point. Like I said, I like the sound FLAT into the basement, not boomy-boomy over-thumpified. You can make up for a lot in an integrated unit where you can set up the electronics to pre-condition the signal. You basically feed it with the inverse of the mechanical response to get flat response.

And I wanted to hang onto some room behind the seat, or I could have gone with a pair of the Lanzar 10 inchers, which would maybe be more to your taste.

How big a subwoofer needs to be depends on how big the volume is. It's all a function of how much air it has to move. Our cabs are tiny. In my TV room, I have a 120-pound 15" ported subwoofer, 2'H x 2'D x 18"W, with a 350W RMS amp, flat at 103dB down below 20 Hz. That rocks the whole house, and I have to keep it throttled back when the missus is home. Will the Lanzar compete with that? Uh, no.

All the same, the Lanzar 8" does a nice job in the truck, at my listening levels. And it's very tight and crisp, not boomy, which I cannot stand.

BTW, in college I lived in a house called the Dark Side of the Moon. I had a tri-amped system there, with six 60-watt linear mono amps, one on each channel. That would rock.

Also try Steely Dan's "Hey Nineteen" from the Gaucho album as a test track. Nice.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote