The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2015, 12:44 AM   #1
1970pelle

Removed a bunch of wires and hoes today.

I wasn't sure how to title this. I'm not sure if this topic is discussed much here or not. We don't have any tail pipe testing here in Florida, plus my truck is to old. I was at the point with it that driving the truck was dangerous, because of the stalling condition. When ever you lifted off the gas it would stall. I hooked up a vacuum gauge to see what was happening, at 35 mph the gauge read neg. 5 in. of vacuum. And bearly a +10 when I could get it to idle.
So the fun began, I just didn't rip and tear. I removed the ECU from under the dash, plus the complete wiring harness. Reused the grommet and made a nice plug, for the fire wall. Really cleans up the engine, removed and capped unused vacuum ports.
I ordered a new distributor from Summit that has a vacuum advance, mine was not equipt with one. I haven't decided on intake manifolds and carbs yet. Leaning toward a edelbrock nice basic street dual plane intake, in non-gloss. For a carb I think this time I'll try a Holley 670 something. I can't recall.
Anyone need this old emissions takeoff stuff, free for the ride.
I left one wire hang down under the truck and it was dragging on the road. This guy flags me down and points it out to me. In the straightest face I could make, I told him it made me in visible from the air. And then drove off real quick. Left him standing shaking his head. Most likely thinking another gray headed old wacko.

Ken
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote