The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2015, 02:21 PM   #1
85/Silverado

Harmonic Balancer Problem

I just tried to connect my Balancer to the crank and it won't go on. As you can see by the last photo that it will only slide on about 1/4 inch in the tapered edge. I tried to tap it with a rubber mallet and nothing. I made sure the lock key was clearing also.
Any Ideas?

Thanks
Jack
Attached Images

85/Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:28 PM   #2
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Re: Harmonic Balancer Problem

You can usually rent an installation tool from an auto parts store that presses it on nicely. Before that I always banged them on with a 4lb BFH and a 2x4 until it was on far enough for the bolt to pull it the rest of the way. I don't recommend that method, though.

Slonaker
Old 01-29-2015, 06:28 PM   #3
Jake Wade

You need this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-61740/overview/
Jake Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #4
enaberif

Go buy some 7/16x20 all thread rod should cost you about $8-10. Then buy 3 @ 7/17x20 nuts and buy one large 7/16 flange washer.

Total bill for this should be around $12-15 TOPS. The all thread rod will come in a 3 foot piece but all you'll need is about 1.5 feet if not less (varies with trucks). Thread 2 nuts onto the end and lock them together and then thread the washer and nut down so it seats against the harmonic balancer.

Then simply use a 2 big wrenches and wrench it on. The large washer will seat flat against the harmonic balancer.
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:18 AM   #5
jetmech85

That balancer looks like it doesn't have enough machined area where the front seal rides or is it something to do with a later model being different than what I'm used to? Just questioning it being the correct one thats all.
jetmech85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:33 AM   #6
chengny

Was that particular balancer previously mounted on that crank snout? If it was, try this method:

Put the balancer in the oven at the lowest setting (usually about 175 F). Let it stay in there for an hour or so.

While the balancer is warming up, chill the crank snout. Crush some ice in a plastic bag and wrap the bag on the snout. Before you place the bag on the snout, apply a thin coat of never-seize to the OD and the key.

After the balancer has warmed up (and the snout has been chilled), take it from the oven and quickly bring it to the engine.

Remove the ice bag and set the hub on the end of the crankshaft. Using a hammer and a block of wood - with the end grain of the wood against the balancer hub - try to tap the balancer onto the shaft. Tap is the key word - don't go all Hercules on it's ass. Slamming the balancer on with a BFH can cause internal engine damage (e.g. to the face of the thrust bearing)

If the hub now is able to be tapped past the point where you were getting jammed up before, you can either:

1. continue to tap it till it's home

2. Or if tapping won't get it all the way on, switch to one of the tools mentioned above - or the homemade rig suggested by Curtis (AKA enaberif, AKA firebane).

The thing is, you have to have one of these tools right there and ready to use. If you don't have them in hand, the clearance you gained by heating the balancer/chilling the shaft will quickly be lost. You'll have to pull the balancer and start all over again.
chengny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #7
Bigstevex4

Just use longer bolt pull it on smear some sealant an the in side. lots time get a thinner washer the origanal bolt is enough to get it going.
Bigstevex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
85/Silverado

This is a new Crank & Balancer. But thanks
Old 01-30-2015, 02:08 PM   #9
GRADYS Performance

Use a Harmonic Balancer Installation Tool. Buy, rent or borrow one they are not that expensive and if you are going to work on engines you will use it many times. DO NOT use a hammer or pull it in with a bolt you can damage the balancer or threads in the crank.
GRADYS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:41 PM   #10
Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRADYS Performance View Post
Use a Harmonic Balancer Installation Tool. Buy, rent or borrow one they are not that expensive and if you are going to work on engines you will use it many times. DO NOT use a hammer or pull it in with a bolt you can damage the balancer or threads in the crank.
Absolutely!

Also, I think I'd have the source that you bought the balancer from, pull another and mike it, and compare with yours. With the influx of imported machined goods, you can no longer take anything for granted that it's going to be right. If it's different, I'd consider checking other balancer brands as well.
Shifty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:49 PM   #11
enaberif

Quote:
You do realize that my home made tool is the exact same premise as that of a actual install tool right? No matter what you do using a installer tool PULLS on the threads but the more thread you have in the hole the less change of damage.

And using a installer whether home made or bought with a big of grease or lubricant the thing should only take minimal effort to install.
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:47 PM   #12
Jake Wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstevex4 View Post
Just use longer bolt pull it on smear some sealant an the in side. lots time get a thinner washer the origanal bolt is enough to get it going.

Whatever you do, Please do not use this method.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:03 PM   #13
Jake Wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Go buy some 7/16x20 all thread rod should cost you about $8-10. Then buy 3 @ 7/17x20 nuts and buy one large 7/16 flange washer.

Total bill for this should be around $12-15 TOPS. The all thread rod will come in a 3 foot piece but all you'll need is about 1.5 feet if not less (varies with trucks). Thread 2 nuts onto the end and lock them together and then thread the washer and nut down so it seats against the harmonic balancer.

Then simply use a 2 big wrenches and wrench it on. The large washer will seat flat against the harmonic balancer.

This will do. The Moroso tool or other brands like it work on the same principle but have a better mechanical advantange with the roller bearing and extra large nut, makes installing these a breeze. Its worth the coin if you have the need for one in the future, if not, you may can rent one at your local auto parts store.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:22 PM   #14
85/Silverado

Should I loosen the Timing Chain Cover before forcing the Balancer onto the crank. Should I oil anything before doing it, to make it slide on better? The only auto parts store within 30 miles (one way)is "Advanced" they don't rent anything here,, so I guess I'll have to go to the Big City to rent one.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:43 AM   #15
chengny

No reason to loosen the timing chain cover.

Apply a light film of never-seize to the OD of the snout and the key.

Have you given any thought to how far onto the crank snout you want to press the balancer?

This is an important initial step that will effect the final alignment of all the belts/pulleys - and it is a wicked hassle to change later on in the assembly process.

The water pump/fan clutch pulley is basically fixed (without the use of shims) and should be used as the reference point for all the other pulleys. When determining how far onto the snout the balancer should be driven, the final alignment with the water pump pulley should be the deciding factor.

It is often easiest to temporarily assemble the water pump/fan clutch pulley group and power steering pump onto the block and then use a straight edge to set the balancer depth. Another method is to actually install the common belt and set the balancer by observing the belt alignment:

chengny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:11 AM   #16
GRADYS Performance

The Harmonic Balancer is pressed on until it bottoms against the cam drive gear on the crankshaft. It is not used to align pulleys.
GRADYS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:18 AM   #17
Jake Wade

Tighten all bolts on timing cover, there are dowels that keep the timing cover aligned.

Put a dab of RTV in the key slot of your new harmonic balancer to prevent oil seepage.

Lube the OD of harmonic balancer snout where seal rides, I use Lubriplate 105 motor assembly lube but, a light smear of grease will do just fine.

Install balancer ALL THE WAY until it bottoms out on timing crank gear. If you have belt misalignment like this, you have the wrong balancer or the wrong pulleys/brackets.

When installed, mount your crank pulley and torque center crank bolt to 60-65 ft/lbs

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2015, 12:57 PM   #18
Bigstevex4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Wade View Post
Whatever you do, Please do not use this method.
Was a Heavy equipment mechanic in the field you did what had to Get job done. Have done this dozens times of course you have a little finesse don't start 1 thread and hit impact. Whe have a fleet of 20 plus E450s with 7.3s have resealed low psi oil pump on most of them and that's exactly how put balancer back on every one. No problem. But I understand were your coming from. Work with a guy that always has to have the right tool to do any think takes him 3 times as long to get any thing fixed makes me look good.
Bigstevex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:40 PM   #19
85/Silverado

All the money I've put into the Alien Stroker I want this done as close to perfect as I can, so that is why I'm asking so many questions. Thanks Guys.
Jack
Old 02-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #20
kalbert

Quote:
This is the correct answer. It doesn't matter if other people claim to have been getting away with other methods for years. Use the right tool, its not expensive, and it is fool proof. They make a tool for that, use it!
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #21
85/Silverado

I talked to Advanced Auto Parts and they said If I paid $70.00 for the tool to put the balancer on the motor, I could bring it back when I'm done and they would give me back all my money. Or I could just keep the tool.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #22
wideopen1967

You tube is your friend;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex_yJ_V5UH8
wideopen1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:08 PM   #23
Just call me Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstevex4 View Post
Was a Heavy equipment mechanic in the field you did what had to Get job done. Have done this dozens times of course you have a little finesse don't start 1 thread and hit impact. Whe have a fleet of 20 plus E450s with 7.3s have resealed low psi oil pump on most of them and that's exactly how put balancer back on every one. No problem. But I understand were your coming from. Work with a guy that always has to have the right tool to do any think takes him 3 times as long to get any thing fixed makes me look good.
I've never used an installation tool. Never a problem either.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote