The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2015, 02:59 PM   #1
daily_danger

help with 71 front hoses.

Good afternoon,

I hope to get around to an intro thread when I get some free time. All my spare time has been spent either working on the truck or searching for info.

PO installed Bell (i believe) 2" drop spindles. I need to replace the front brake hoses. They're old, and in one spot the cotter pin was stabbing the hose. I've done my fair share of searching, I've seen a few different answers. Are these 71, 71-72, or 73+ front calipers. If I replace the calipers at a later time, will I only be able to get 73+ calipers? I'm strapped for time and playing games trying to match up hoses will bite big time. Any specific part numbers for hoses would be MUCH appreciated.

Thank you for any help!

Details on current setup:

1971 C10 LWB

2" drop spindles

Large square banjo

Part number on R caliper: n gm 23 547 1173 (i've been unable to successfully google that #).

Pics(hopefully):
Attached Images

daily_danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:50 AM   #2
midniteblues

Re: help with 71 front hoses.

those look like stock oe 71 hose's too me. i think 72 on up had round banjo fittings ....but i could be wrong
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:06 PM   #3
daily_danger

Re: help with 71 front hoses.

I really appreciate the help, thank you.

I went to my friends parts store. His system shows a front hose split at 4/71 (iirc) I don't know the production month of my 71. He had the hoses in stock for after 4/71, so I was able to get a feel for them. They have round ends and seemed too short, but did have different fittings for the chassis side of it. I printed the specs for those and measured mine. I measured roughly hose crimp to hose crimp.

left: 11 3/8
right: 11

Doorman:
left: 12 1/4
right: 11 1/2

I'm beginning to think despite having the wrong banjo, those may work. doorman lists them as 71-72 gm C10/15 only. I figure they're measuring from banjo center to very end, accounting for the increased length.

link

link

Monday when I pick up my carrier bearing I'll probably man up and give those a go.

Cheers.
Nic
Old 02-08-2015, 11:35 PM   #4
daily_danger

Thumbs up Re: help with 71 front hoses.

For anyone who may Google their way to this thread:

The hoses linked above worked fine. They are a little tight as reported in other threads. Due to the drop spindles the hose is very close to the upper ball joint, I needed to take care when installing the cotter pin. I'm going to find some hose wrap for further protection against abrasion from the BJ. The old cotter pin was stabbing the hose, which was part of the reason I changed them.

Cheers
Nic.