The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
HUSSEY

Starting up an old engine?

Going to be starting up an old engine that's been sitting around for a while. Pulled the plugs and lubed the walls, changed the oil, will crank it till I see oil pressure then let it rip.

Anything else I should consider doing?

I won't have any coolant in the block, it's mounted on the chassis but I don't have a radiator plumbed yet. Do you think there is any concern starting a motor with no coolant in it? I probably won’t let it run but for 30 sec - a min., I just want to hear it run.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:48 PM   #2
octanejunkie

Re: Starting up an old engine?

Depends what your plan for the motor is...

If it were a motor I was interested in keeping and using as is:

I'd change the oil and filter and prime the oil pump (not with the starter) to see oil coming through the pushrods to the rocker arms (pull valve covers off)

I'd confirm correct rotor timing with the #1 cylinder at TDC and reinstall the distributor to about 10° advanced initial timing as best as possible.

I'd flush out the fuel lines and carb to get the old gummy gas and dirt out and add a fuel filter.

I'd also squirt a thin oil into each cylinder and turn the engine over by hand (no plugs) through several rotations of the crankshaft and listen carefully for any scraping or knocking while watching all the rocker arms move.

I'd check each plug for gap and spark, or replace the plugs, while I had them out.

Even if only starting it up for a moment, I'm always hesitant to do so without coolant in the block, plus I'd want to flush out the block with fresh water, then add new coolant.

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
_Ogre

i'm with you hussey, just crank it up
fresh gas will help too

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:05 PM   #4
dcraven

I'm in agreement w/ octanejunkie. My current daily driver I did as he describes and added marvel's mystery oil in w/ fresh oil and then turned it over by hand for a week, 10-20 turns each day. Runs fine every since.

Nice project btw!
dcraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:25 AM   #5
tinyjaime

Here is a tip from the Stovebolt guys

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/en...art/index.html

If you wanted to use a garden hose in lieu of a radiator here is a topic I remembered copying but forgot the forum just an idea

Garden hose in lieu of radiator

Adapt the garden hose to the LOWER radiator hose connection- - - -fan belt removed so the water pump doesn't try to empty the engine as soon as you start it. Adapt a piece of flex hose to the top radiator hose connection and angle it over the fender if the engine is installed in the vehicle. I like to use a long piece of PVC pipe to direct the overflow somewhere other than creating a puddle right under the truck. Turn on enough water flow to get a steady flow from the thermostat housing with the stat removed- - - -this assures all the air pockets are gone. Adjust the flow to control the temperature. The exit water should be warm to the touch, not scalding hot or cold.
The water pump pulls from bottom hose and pushes out the top, it won't flow backward, hot water always leaves any engine from the highest point.

Block the lower radiator hose with anything you can to to keep water from flowing out. Remove thermostat. Plumb the garden hose to the heater hose inlet at the pump, block the radiator hose at the t-stat housing, and dump the water out of the other heater hose on the drive or yard.

Vary the water flow according to the water temp coming out of the engine, more water to cool, less to heat up. Keep it pretty warm to help the engine break-in and keep condensation down. Add temp gauge if needed, I use my hand to gauge the temp. Medium flow is about right for a six cylinder.

definitely do not use old gas you do not want any bent pushrods
tinyjaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:12 AM   #6
pvienneau

Hussey, please keep us posted. I couldn't get my old 216 engine running after sitting 10 years. I hope you have better luck or more patience.

1949 unmolested Indy Farm Deluxe AD
1949 Standard 4 speed http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=581544
pvienneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:03 AM   #7
67GMCkid

If it has points, clean them. Also not a bad idea to hit the Distributer cap contacts with a piece of fine sandpaper while your at it..
67GMCkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:49 AM   #8
Russell Ashley

It depends on how long it has sat and where it was sitting. If it has been inside out of the weather I would probably just do what you mentioned in your first post. Turn it over by hand first with plugs removed to see if it's free. I won't start an engine without water in it though, not even for a minute.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #9
HUSSEY

Thanks for all the tips. I was stoked to get the motor running the other day, it's was exciting to finally hear some noise comming from my project!

I found a rubber adapter to go from the water pump inlet to a PVC pipe. I could then add an adapter to reduced it to a gargen hose. I plan on doing this once it gets warmer out and I'm not concerned about it freezing. Then, I'll able to run the motor at temperature and really test it out.

Check out the video on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQSybVXJJvo

Thanks!
HUSSEY