The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2015, 02:22 PM   #1
SourTooth307

Column Shifter Play?

Noticed when I use the column shifter, it doesn't seem to nicely pop into the gear I'm looking for. For example, if I stick it in reverse I usually have to jiggle it around to get the back up lights to come on. Also, when I throw it in park it tends to run out of room before I hear it "click" into park. The truck doesn't move and the shifter locks in place when you shut the ignition off, but the whole thing just seems like it's out of whack. How do I tighten/adjust everything properly?
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Texas Edition 5.3L 4x4
SourTooth307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #2
liftlawssuck

Re: Column Shifter Play?

It's been a while since I fixed this problem but it was somewhat common thing to fix. Check the play at the shaft for the shifter on the transmission. IIRC you have to drop the pan to tighten up nut. But you'll se the play right away if you just have someone move the shifter while you crawl underneath and watch. If it is tight then it's in the linkage or column. Follow your way back while moving shifter and find where the play starts/stops. Hopefully this picture will come out that shows the tranny.
Attached Images

liftlawssuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
SourTooth307

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftlawssuck View Post
It's been a while since I fixed this problem but it was somewhat common thing to fix. Check the play at the shaft for the shifter on the transmission. IIRC you have to drop the pan to tighten up nut. But you'll se the play right away if you just have someone move the shifter while you crawl underneath and watch. If it is tight then it's in the linkage or column. Follow your way back while moving shifter and find where the play starts/stops. Hopefully this picture will come out that shows the tranny.
Hmmm, so you think the problem lies in the linkages down below and not in the column. I'll have to have a look when I can get a chance to crawl underneath. I'm paranoid it's going to slip into reverse one day and roll off into something/someone.....
Old 02-05-2015, 12:12 PM   #4
liftlawssuck

Does it feel like it doesn't go into park that well? Like really loose going into it? Maybe even douting it does at all? Do you have to slam the shifter up into park yet to make sure it goes in? If so then those are the exact symptoms of it being loose inside the tranny. Not saying it couldn't be anything else. But that's the symptom of that nut loosening up.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #5
SourTooth307

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftlawssuck View Post
Does it feel like it doesn't go into park that well? Like really loose going into it? Maybe even douting it does at all? Do you have to slam the shifter up into park yet to make sure it goes in? If so then those are the exact symptoms of it being loose inside the tranny. Not saying it couldn't be anything else. But that's the symptom of that nut loosening up.
Pretty much describes what I feel. So I gotta drop the pan?
Old 02-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
liftlawssuck

Yup fraid so. It's real easy and you'll see the problem immediately. That's where I would start from what I have seen.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:24 PM   #7
Alex41

WAIT.....

Don't drop the pan till you look at something first!!!

There is a linkage bracket that is bolted to the frame directly across and to the left of the transmission that may be worn out. I'm not sure if there was supposed to be a bushing in there from the factory or what since I am new to column shifted vehicles but mine was twice the size of the bar. I simply welded in a washer on the back side of this bracket to take up the slack and now my shifter is tight and goes in each gear without having to slam it. If you don't weld, you may be able to find a bushing of sorts to fit in there.
Alex41 is offline   Reply With Quote