The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
DirtyK30

Q-jet accelerator skirt issues please help

I was wondering if some one could shine some light on a problem i've been having.

I have an early 70's q-jet with mechanical choke and a fuel line that enters from the front left when looking at the motor from the front of the truck. About a year and a half ago the skirt on the accelerator pump deteriorated and fell off . it was an older style black rubber skirt. I rebuilt the carb and installed the new accelerator pump that came in the kit with a blue rubber skirt. since then the skirt has not deteriorated but has fallen off the accelerator pump shaft three time each resulting in a hard start. i replaced the accelerator pump with new skirt twice and did another full rebuild the most recent time and checked the accelerator well for burrs or debris and found none i also made sure all the fuel passages were clear as not to form a suction and pull the skirt off. About a day ago the hard start symptoms started again and sure enough the skirt has fallen off again. I am stumped as to why the skirt keeps falling off. Has anyone had a similar problem or know of a remedy? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
DirtyK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #2
nonstop

Re: Q-jet accelerator skirt issues please help

Which type of pump are you using? Have you replaced just the skirt, or the whole pump?

This article seemed pretty interesting, although I have not used their products and don't know about their quality, it provides some info about pumps, and possibly your problem:

http://quadrajetparts.com/quadrajet-...yles-a-12.html
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:04 AM   #3
Katrina/10

I had the same problem, and it was due to ethanol fuel. I bought the ethanol resistant accelerator pump, and no more problems.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:11 PM   #4
DirtyK30

I have been replacing the whole pump bc they come assembled with the skirt and I don't want to stretch it putting it on, and I had suspected ethanol but wasn't sure. That web site does make sence my skirt is the long style and I had thought about changing to the garter spring style it looks like it would be less prone to falling off
DirtyK30 is offline   Reply With Quote