The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
RustTrail

Saggy Top???

Wondering if anyone was repaired a saggy doublewall top before? The inside looks great on it, but on the outside top portion it sags in between each bracing square. Top is in good condition otherwise so I hate to try and find another one. I do need the rear hatch though, so I guess if I could find a complete top in good condition I might be interested.
RustTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:16 PM   #2
Jlo1986

Re: Saggy Top???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustTrail View Post
Wondering if anyone was repaired a saggy doublewall top before? The inside looks great on it, but on the outside top portion it sags in between each bracing square. Top is in good condition otherwise so I hate to try and find another one. I do need the rear hatch though, so I guess if I could find a complete top in good condition I might be interested.
A solid rear hatch is hard to find. I was fortunate to find one a couple of weeks ago. It appears most tops do not have the hatch and the folks that do have the hatches are asking top dollar, more than a top lol.

1972 Blazer 2WD
1986 Chevy Silverado (Black)
1986 Chevy Silverado (Blue)
Jlo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #3
jobrla

Afternoon sir, I have repaired several double wall tops with sagging issues. It takes a lot of time and work but turns out good. I first open the top from the inside and re-enforce the two walls with ridged foam rails from side to side (create a rib cage) I also apply (LATEX) sealing foam in the voids. The latex is a low expanding foam and will not push things apart. There is one catch. You or someone else needs to be good at fiberglass work.
I do not know how anyone else has tried to repair them, but this is my way and the tops turn out completely flat.

Hope this helps
jobrla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
RustTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobrla View Post
Afternoon sir, I have repaired several double wall tops with sagging issues. It takes a lot of time and work but turns out good. I first open the top from the inside and re-enforce the two walls with ridged foam rails from side to side (create a rib cage) I also apply (LATEX) sealing foam in the voids. The latex is a low expanding foam and will not push things apart. There is one catch. You or someone else needs to be good at fiberglass work.
I do not know how anyone else has tried to repair them, but this is my way and the tops turn out completely flat.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear there is at least a way to fix them as it doesn't appear that a good replacement is easy to come by. I'll probably have to buy a repop hatch, but I'm a long way from needing it so I'm going to remain on the hunt for one of those. Other than the sagging, my top appears to be in decent shape! Just wish the hatch wasn't missing! Do you have any photos by chance of a repair job you have done?
RustTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #5
jobrla

Found this on Denver CL

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/4871978492.html
jobrla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:41 PM   #6
1tuff71

wow I would jump on that one. A repop is $500 without glass or hardware and your not too far you may be able to work out shipping with him or maybe another member that's in his area. Worth a try IMO
Old 02-13-2015, 09:13 AM   #7
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

I would do your research before you buy a re-pop. The ones on the market today - do not fit - at all. You better off looking for a boat company that does fiber glass work if you cant do it yourself.

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #8
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.PASSMORE View Post
I would do your research before you buy a re-pop. The ones on the market today - do not fit -.
^^^^ I would say it this way. They are UNusable... ask me how I know.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:52 AM   #9
lowlifej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
^^^^ I would say it this way. They are UNusable... ask me how I know.
how do you know lol
lowlifej is offline   Reply With Quote