The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2003, 05:09 PM   #1
71-longbed
Its Magically Delicious

did i do something wrong ??

last week i went around my truck and cleaned up all my grounds..... after i did this my heater console stopped work ......today i got under the dash and noticed that there was a fuse in the air conditon slot and a fuse in the heater slot both looked fine but i pulled them anyway .....
both were larger fuses than needed to be in there ..they were 30's but my manual says 10 amp

now my exhaust sounds funny while it idles... its not a bad sound i dont think ...but its very different though

by the way ...my truck is not an AC truck

any thought or suggestions

thanks

Of all my favorite things to do, The utmost is to have a brew.
My love grows for my foamy friend, with each thirst-quenching elbow bend.
Beer so frosty, smooth, and cold it's paradise pure liquid gold.
Yes beer means many things to me that's all for now cus I gotta pee.
71-longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 05:26 PM   #2
Phillip Johnson
Account Suspended

Did you do something to the guy that lives next door to you? Sounds like someone is messing with you
Phillip Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 05:29 PM   #3
71-longbed
Its Magically Delicious

my trucks locked down ...hood lock , 2 alarms .... i doubt it

Old 08-24-2003, 05:42 PM   #4
jef5150
Inline 69

when you say the exhaust sounds funny at idle,,,,is it kinda like a low muffled popping sound,that comes out at the same rythem
jef5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 09:49 AM   #5
VTKidder

I'm having a hard time connecting between a heater not working and a rough idle....as said above, tampering maybe, but usually a big fuse in a small slot will just nuke whatever's attached to it if there is a surge; in this case you may have burned up contacts on the fan switch, or at worst cooked the blower motor. I'm lost.....
VTKidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 12:30 PM   #6
COBALT

One of the first things I did to my truck is fix the wiring. I pulled all the fuses, and replaced them with ones that are supposed to be there. I also pulled all the bulbs, cleaned the terminals, checked for poor grounds (using a probe with a light in the handle), and checked for short circuits (using a 12v battery and the probe I mentioned earlier). I found probably two dozen circuits that were either potentially leaking current, or bad grounds.

Sounds like you're a good candidate for an electrical fire. Has your wiring been tampered with off and on for the life of the truck? How's the front/dash/rear harness? Any spliced in cargo lights, hitch lights, radios, tachs., etc? Get some wire of the right guage, the right color, and some connectors and go to work. Use the probe idea to check for grounds, and use the battery idea (disconnect your truck's battery, and use your ignition key plus a jumper to isolate circuits, and then use the battery as a power source and see if you can get your probe to light up. If it does you know that circuit is getting current. Do this for as many circuits you can find.).

As for the exhaust problem are you running points by any chance? There are two wires that run from the starter to the coil. One of them is a slim yellow wire that splits off from the front harness near the top of the firewall. Both the red from the starter and one side of this yellow wire are supposed to be connected to your coil. They provide the right current for the inductor (the coil) either on start-up or while running. You may not be getting clean spark since you fooled with your wiring, and now you're getting partial ignition. You may have burned out the condensor or the points themselves. Just a theory.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 02:57 PM   #7
71-longbed
Its Magically Delicious

cobalt thanks for all the info.... you are the king of long detailed posts... what did you use to clean the bulb terminals...the wedge and the round style bulbs....btw im running pertronix igniter1...

im pretty sure 90% of the wiring is stock ... i have a fire extinguisher in the cab in case of a blaze

went out and drove it more last night ..seems to run ok fine.... i would think if i were only getting partial ingition ..my performance would suffer.... its a possiblity that this "strange" exhaust sound is just in my head...i wouldn't describe the noise as a low muffle pop ..if anything before it sounded like that ...now its much louder......dont know how to describe it .... the wiring does need to be looked at closer.....

im welcome to all suggestion