The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
Marte_Mcfly

1953 Chevy AD rear end swap advice/help

Hey guys,
First of all, thank all of you who have the patience and dedication to give the tons of advice and post all of your progress. You all are a great inspiration and help along this journey. So here is the deal, I've been studying this site along with a few others for some time, figuring out what kind of build I want to do and with that what things I need to get to make it happen. As the title says, I'm trying to find the right rear end and I'm having trouble. Of all the rears (camaro, Nova, G-body, 4X4 S10, Explorer ect) I am wanting to go Explorer because of the gearing/posi/disc brake it comes with. Only problem with that is the bolt pattern doesn't match the 5X4.75 Chevy pattern i already bought for my mustang II IFS. ALL THAT TO ASK THIS... I was reading a post and someone eluded that an Explorer rear could be re-drilled for the Chevy bolt pattern. Is it true? How would I go about doing this or getting it done if so? Any help is much appreciated. Are there any other rear ends that come with disk brakes for my application? I know about the kits. Mid 90's Blazer rear ends do, but although people say they fit, I don't see how by my measurements.
Marte_Mcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:08 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 1953 Chevy AD rear end swap advice/help

mid 90's blazer would have drum brakes, You can also get a 2001 up S10 10 bolt with 3:42’s or 3:73’s with disc brakes for about $450. We used a 2001 S10 4x4 rear. It had 46000 miles on it got it from LKQ for 385. It’s a locker 8.5 ring w/ ZR2 option. The spring perches will need to be moved but that a simple task.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:39 PM   #3
Dustint

I would stay away from the 8.5 if you are planning on putting any power to it at all. The "posi" is a gov-lock system that is almost bound to fail.
I would double check your measurements with rear wheels and how much length you actually need for the rear end, shortening a rear end would drive up the cost, and time.
The 8.8 would just have to be re drilled for the bolt pattern you need, and new wheel studs pressed in, wouldn't be very costly there. A good machine shop should be able to do this no problem.
Dustint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:45 PM   #4
BlueJeep

Many of us have had to use wheel spacers in the back too, so that might be your cheap easy answer to get ones that will convert from 4.5 to 4.75" bolt pattern. If you don't need spacers, than any good machine shop can re-drill that bolt pattern in your axles and rotors for you.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #5
Marte_Mcfly

I probably should have put a couple more details on what direction I'm going with my truck. @DWCSR I stand corrected on the Blazer year, thanks. I'm going with a 2-link rear end and the truck will be air ride equipped. @Dustint power wont be much of an issue at all as I'm going with a 235/2004-R combo. I am under the impression that 3.42 would be a little better for highway driving with my powerplant so maybe that option is viable. @BlueJeep thanks also.
Marte_Mcfly is offline   Reply With Quote