The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2015, 11:37 PM   #1
Norgermish

Question on power steering pulleys

I recently picked up a power steering setup for my '67 with a 250ci engine. I got it from Langdon's Stovebolt for a fair price. Only problem, the pump he sent is not even close. It has metric studs and bolt holes, (Tom refunded me on the pump). Anyway, I was wondering if the small block and 6 cyl. PS pulleys are in anyway interchangeable. Having a heck of a time locating a PS pulley for a straight six at a fair price.
Thanks,
Paul
Norgermish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #2
Norgermish

Re: Question on power steering pulleys

No answer or just a dumb question?
Old 02-19-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

There are at least 2 and maybe 3 different set ups for the 250 that I have seen. I don't know for sure what each came off of but the offset of the pump pulley was different on at least 2 of them. If you have the right brackets, the spacers(very thick washers) may have been put back in the wrong places.(I did this myself and had to pull it and figure it out.) The best bet is to find a JY setup and get every pulley, bracket and bolt off of it but they are getting hard to find. I know of one member who finally got everything to work together and had to have a double pulley put on his alt to make a belt line up. It's probably as much work figuring out a mismatched set as it is to find a complete unit.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:39 AM   #4
Norgermish

Thanks for the reply,
I do have the double water pump pulley, the double alt pulley, double crank pulley and they all line up, and the brackets are from an early non A.I.R 250 engine. I think the different set ups for these 250 engines were the early type that fit the original non-smog heads, then the heads with the A.I.R. tubes came out and modifications to the PS brackets had top be made, finally the Integrated 250 head needed another modification in the brackets.
I'm in no hurry to get this done, it's just hard to find a PS pulley. That's why I was asking about interchangeability between the small block and straight 6 PS pulleys
Old 02-20-2015, 03:56 AM   #5
SS Tim

Here is the page from the 79 edition of the 72 down truck parts manual. Take your choice, plug it into gmpartswiki.com search to see what pops up for cross applications and supercessions.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:15 PM   #6
Norgermish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Here is the page from the 79 edition of the 72 down truck parts manual. Take your choice, plug it into gmpartswiki.com search to see what pops up for cross applications and supercessions.
Much appreciated, at least I can see my options
Old 02-21-2015, 03:55 AM   #7
Norgermish

Well today I returned the pump I bought thinking I wouldn't need it for awhile. Was looking around on the forum for other odds and ends and saw Chewychevy67 had listed for sale pulley part number 3791943. He sold it to me for $25 with the nut. Thanks to SS Tim for posting that information from the parts manual. Perfect timing!!!