The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2015, 03:46 PM   #1
Kaptain Kadian

Disc brake conversion

I was wanting to get you guys help on a longtime project I have wanted to do. I want to swap my front brakes for discs. I already have a booster. I was looking at the kits to do it from classic parts, and it looks like I would be in it almost $800. I tried just pricing the parts from autozone and such, and was going to be in it close to the same. Spindles are pretty expensive. So, my next question would be about pulling the stuff from a donor truck out of a salvage yard. Has anyone done this? If so, what all would I need to know to get this done, and what was roughly your cost in doing it. Thanks. I have a 70 swb c10 stock front end.
Kaptain Kadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #2
Swar

Re: Disc brake conversion

Have you tried Early Classic Enterprises? Or LMC? You can call ECE and ask for used parts. They keep a lot of original parts like that.
Swar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:58 PM   #3
Kaptain Kadian

Yes, they are all about the same prices.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
FirstOwner69

I bought a complete front suspension from a 71 or 72 from a board member a couple years ago for $340. This was for my 3/4 ton 69, but perhaps it will help answer your question. This included everything that attaches to the front cross member plus the brake lines, prop valve, booster and master cylinder. Everything was rust free and looked almost new except the booster which has surface rust. I haven't installed it, but it appears that when I do nothing will need to be rebuilt. Just a little cleanup and paint.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:38 PM   #5
Kaptain Kadian

I was looking on the mcgaughys website, and I can get a set of disk brakes and new spindles for $550 delivered. He also said it was designed to be used with the stock ball joints and tie rod ends. That price didn't seem too bad for all new parts. Anybody got any experience with them?
Old 02-21-2015, 09:18 AM   #6
71 super

The mcgaughys kit is a very good kit. Used it on my 70 bb to convert it over and it works great. Only issue I had was original ball joints but it was a removal issue not an install issue and had nothing to do with the spindles
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:07 AM   #7
Kaptain Kadian

I got the mcgaughys kit ordered today. Is there any tips or tricks I need to know about before I try to install it? Thanks.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #8
greybeard2009

I got McGauphys pieces from 2 different vendors on FleaBay because most parts houses won't free ship big cast iron pieces- ebay sellers did. Got M 2.5 drop spindles for 73-87, Mg 6 lug disc for 73-87, new ball joints for 73-87, all 4 new tie rods ends for 73-87 ( had 74 tie rods off donor truck) used the "old" tie rod collars- can get new Moog for about $17 each at oriellys if you want/need.
Pre built tie rods couple weeks ago and got all tie rods and one side changed over last night while we had a warm day here in NC. Star cut upper bj with cut wheel, air chisel, pop right out, PB Blaster on lower bj and BFH got it off, borrowed bj press from orielly worked great. Only bad was some PO had not only tacked old bj in, he welded all around. Lucky his welding is worse than mine and cut wheel and air chisel came through for me. Total parts for spindles, hubs with seal, bearings, new rubber hoses, banjo bolts, all b joints and bolts, cotter pins, castle nuts, zerk fittings was about $ 550. just have to shop on fleabay and get that free shipping. No it doesn't all come in one package but I can handle that for less $$. Getting to put it together with my son is priceless so I don't count labor charges! It will be his truck, he is footing bills. We will see how front looks and get rear drop springs to match look we want, prob get 3" drop. Thanks to several on here for advice on makeing this swap happen. Lolife for sure steered me in right direction and others to get 73-87 parts- easier to get any replacements going forward. I now have new master cylinder, my own custom lines to 74 prop valve from aforementioned donor truck, unions to tie into existing 1969 lines, new front suspension for less than $600. You could spend $12-1400 if you just want to click on one catalog and wait for UPS man. my buget wont allow.
I will try to post up pics fo our progress of this low buget daily driver as we can. More of a delayed progress than a build thread LOL!
greybeard2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:55 AM   #9
rockin rebel

if you are not rich, like me, then I can help. just parting a 72 C-10 with complete factory disc brakes. $250. for all you need, plus ride to you..Lloyd
rockin rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:59 AM   #10
rockin rebel

ooppps, I see you bought some....
rockin rebel is offline   Reply With Quote